Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tanya's Strange Bedfellows

WOW! You've been writing this story for three years????!! When I read that I was amazed! I only started reading it a week ago, and I'm already impatient (:

One of the best fanfics I've read!

I have just finished reading Chapter 29. Exquisite! Thank you. I eagerly await the next installment. To add to what others have stated, your writing style is deeply satisfying and the story is coming along beautifully. I am so glad that Darcy was reintroduced before this chapter ended, albeit bittersweet.

I was delighted to see Darcy and Elizabeth back in focus in this wonderful chapter. But I'm at a loss with respect to the relationship between Ms. Bingley and Lord Gregory. She is insipid and shallow, yet his lordship (who seems like a kindly and intelligent fellow) continues to bestow attention on her. Can someone enlighten me...perhaps I missed an earlier chapter when this was explained. Thanks!

Donna
I have just finished reading Chapter 29. Exquisite! Thank you. I eagerly await the next installment. To add to what others have stated, your writing style is deeply satisfying and the story is coming along beautifully. I am so glad that Darcy was reintroduced before this chapter ended, albeit bittersweet.

Ditto!!

Chapter 30 is up, my dears. An hm... very satisfying chapter, I daresay... Enjoy!

Omg love love love this story so much. Thank you for two chapters in such quick succession.

I am so happy that Lizzy and Darcy have reconcilled. What an amazing ride to reach this point! The ice skating scene was...wow...their longing for each other was almost palpable. And their that their reconciliation happened over Mr Darcy seemed highly symbolic. While I hated their separation, I have to say that it has allowed Lizzy to grow up and mature into herself and given the two of them the space to work our what they really wanted...so happy that it was each other!

I'm also relieved that James and Mal have found each other again. How lovely that they begin their lives together with the birth of their first child.

Looking forward to finding out what the story was with Wickham all those years ago. Also hoping that there will be a rekindled friendship between Darcy and James!

Anyways, I'm off to re-read your latest offering! Thanks so much and please please please post again soon!

xo

I will quote from Miss Darcy,
"Ah well...finally"

I must say, though this was the most unerving Elizabeth I have ever read, your writing is simply superb, and I only regret the length of time it took you to finish this story. I have not followed it, left it when you abandoned it a couple of years ago, but followed the threads to see when the coupling was achieved. I have read chapter 30 , enjoyed it immensely but sincerely wished you have finished with it all long ago. I suppose real life is always meddling with the best authors, and you my dear, are seriously a great writer. Just promise next time you post something you will make sure you have finished it before posting. I will probably be hooked again and do not wish another five years in anguish.

Malena,

Um. *Whispers.* It's not finished. Not even close. Sorry!

Thanks otherwise for your kind comments!

OMG
And here I was hoping the nightmare was over. By nightmare I mean the terrible knot in Darcy's life, not your magnificent writing. I suppose I will get into my little hole and peek whenever I read good reviews of what is going on with the life of this silly girl. Plan to read it all through when it IS finished...only if it finishes in the fashion of ASP, that is. Otherwise, I will stick to this ending. I must say...this would be a great ending, why add anything more? Had they not suffered enough yet?

malena
OMG
And here I was hoping the nightmare was over. By nightmare I mean the terrible knot in Darcy's life, not your magnificent writing. I suppose I will get into my little hole and peek whenever I read good reviews of what is going on with the life of this silly girl. Plan to read it all through when it IS finished...only if it finishes in the fashion of ASP, that is. Otherwise, I will stick to this ending. I must say...this would be a great ending, why add anything more? Had they not suffered enough yet?

Who said they're going to suffer more? However, knowing Tanya, the story will definitely have a happy end.

Renée O
malena
OMG

Who said they're going to suffer more? However, knowing Tanya, the story will definitely have a happy end.

Sorry, dearest Mrs Darcy.However I trust your confidence I really need that reasurance from Tanya herself... After all, she is the Queen of postponed anguish!
While I was reading this chapters I went SmileyCentral.com until I did not read he in the end accomplished the service of a husband I could barely breath(Good Lord, how much could my poor heart stand?) then I went blushing for your description was just perfectly lovely. The little details I covet. Hats off for that. But [please, let her be rational for now. No more missunderstandings)

Tanya this was a great chapter - tying a few loose strings up. I hope Elizabeth tells Darce about the letter. I think it will make him understand where her heart was at that time a little more. I'm so glad they're reconciled. I hope they have no more worries as far as themselves. To bad for Miss Bingley, but she should have moved on long ago. I'm happy for the happy couple. Now they can work on being a married couple. Please post again soon.

Tanya, A beautiful chapter, I also thought you were coming to a conclusion but Oh well, D & E are together at last but is someone lurking in the background to usurp their happiness.

Oh Tanya:

At last! A wonderful chapter of reconciliation for our couple! I only hope that we can look forward to only more good things between them.

Thank you, thank you!

Tanya, I am completely and utterly wrung out. That was the most tumultuous chapter. I was almost ill with frustration at Lizzy when she seemed unable to say words that needed to be said. Once again Darcy was put in the position of having to make the first move to reconciliation. I hope she makes herself and her heart very clear to him in this night coming up. That man desperately needs to be smothered with love and fussing and spoiling and cuddling.

I was thrilled to see another chapter so soon. This story is insanely gripping. Thank you so, so much for sharing!

Tanya
Malena,

Tanya, I for one am glad it's not over yet. I wonder, will you tell us what the secret was between Darcy and Wickham? And is W really dead--somehow, I don't believe he is. Knowing how you can stir up waves of angst, I fear or anticipate or whatever the word, that we will see Darcy and Elizabeth cruelly divided by misunderstanding again.

I must tell you, much as I am disposed to love your Elizabeth, there were points in this last chapter where I found myself shouting at the computer screen, "Tell the man you love him. Speak, woman!" Well, all in her own good tme ...

Your story grips me, as someone else here has commented, "insanely" so. You are good, very good. So, don't have a care for my poor heart or giving me a heart attack--just tell the story you must.

Oh, and also, your minor characters stand out with such pinpoint clarity. Mary, who has stuck with her mistress during all these trying years. Miss Bingley--and I am glad she really is minor here--finally unable to live any further in denial, the truth smacks her in the face.

Jamie, Georgiana and Mal are not minor, of course, but they played less of a role here. I wonder if we will see more of them later.

I'm a little giddy. I know you have just given us two (as always, wonderful!) chapters fairly quickly, but dare I hope for more soon, please? As always, no pressure. I'll be waiting whenever it comes.

Tanya
Malena,

No! Why did I have to read this and let it ruin my happy reunion!
I suppose the Wickham issue really hasn't been resolved and what about that letter. I've never known Miss Bingley to give up so easily. (And to make that comment about Malvina's marriage while Jamie was in the room!)
Should I be hoping for a baby? Will that keep Elizabeth at Pemberley and away from harm?

Thanks for at least leaving us with some hope for a happy ending! Hope to see more soon.

All I can say is I can't wait for more!

What a surprise to have two new chapters and such long ones at that! I am relieved to see Darcy and Elizabeth reunited, but I know they have a long road ahead of them. I have a feeling Wickham is not out of the picture yet, and I'm a bit nervous to see what havoc he might create, but I hope that Darcy and Elizabeth manage to have some serious heart to hearts in the coming chapters. Will we ever find out what happened between Darcy and Wickham? Either way, Tanya, I am thrilled to know that you are working hard on this story! Thank you.

Thank you Tanya for this chapter, it was so gratifying and I simply cried and cried throughout most of it.

I'm so happy for their reunion...I've been waiting for this for years!

But it is still frustrating that Elizabeth has to make things SO HARD by not just saying what's in her heart, is it really that difficult. Must she always make him beg for it?

Even so, I love both these characters, and I hope nothing will come and break them apart. Please don't do that to us! No more misunderstandings esp. with Elizabeth unable to say what is obvious so that there is more misunderstanding/confusion between them.

Again thank you for posting again so soon, it was a great chapter!

I so hoped that she would make it back before papa Darcy passed away. Darcy was forgiven rather quickly for forbidding Georgiana not to write sooner. However with everything considered I elated that she didn’t make a big deal out of it.

I’m so glad that she has finally realized where she needed to be and I think it is time for her to do a little begging.

I adore your characters (accept Caroline) and this wonderful story. You have made my month posting so frequently lately. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Geri

I am so SO happy they are back together. I was screaming at the computer when they kept misunderstanding each other and not speaking. Infuriating.

So very happy but so sad about Mr. Darcy. Very sad.

Hope it's not too long before this excellent story continues.

dear Tanya, I was really happy to find another chapter after the last one...and if I remember well, this's the first time you've posted this quickly a new chap...but anyway all for the better^_^I've been in heaven since I've started reading about their first time...that is, until I read 'that' post about this story not being over yet. I'm all for more chaps goodness from you dear dear Tanya, but pweeese, I beg you, no more troubles for Elisabeth and Darcy: you've created a couple of minor characters that seem perfect to angst upon and our favourite couple has already suffered enough (and us with them ) By the way, I'd like to see a good fitting end for our little viper (Miss Bingley)you'll do it, won't you? That's all and I hope for another chaper soon^_^

Tanya
Malena,

I'm so surprised to hear that there's more than a final chapter. I felt something in me lie down and rest after finishing this chapter. I don't mind the ambiguities and unknowns remaining. I don't need to know what Wickham did. I don't want him back in story. I want them to stay as besotted and intoxicated with each other as they are at the end of this chapter. I'll read anything you write, of course -- the telephone book, a grocery list, etc. -- but I hope we're at the end of the roller coaster ride and that we may coast along for awhile reading about their great joy and hot sex.

OMG-- I am afraid you all with think I am quite wacked -- but I have to admit that my hand was shaking on the mouse as I read this chapter. SB has been such a long and winding tale -- and to finally have the much anticipated reunion of D&E... ahhhhhh. Really, there are many stories out there that I have enjoyed -- but at the moment I can hardly think of one that has so entranced me -- and held my attention for so long. Thank you for finding time to finish this. It really is a treasure!

Tanya
Malena,

I'm 60 years old. I have been with this story since the beginning, while I am glad that there is still more to come, I just want to know I will be around to read the rest of it! LOL

Somehow I have the feeling we haven't seen the last of Wickham or Caroline.

Thanks for the quick new post....keep them coming cause I love this story so!

I am not sure Wickham is dead much as I would like him to be! Thank you for the lovely and sometimes frustrating reunion. They have both matured but are still the same people so it was only natural for them to have misunderstandings and unexpressed thoughts and needs. Very well done, Tanya! I feel sorry for Caroline. This was a wonderful chapter!!

You're stories are great Tanya and I really enjoyed 'A Singular Proposition.' I'm a bit compulsive in my reading habits so I tend to wait untl a story is finished before reading it -- but 'Strange Bedfellows' is really begining to test my resolve!

Here's to hoping for a glorious happily ever after very soon!

Words cannot express how much I adore this story. I was devastated when I first read it to discover it was a WIP, but I am thrilled to bits to see that you are still posting. And what a post! The emotion in your story is wonderful. I feel very fulfilled after reading one of your beautifully descriptive chapters. As an angst lover, I have held my breath with anticipation as our couple has bobbed upon the story seas of their misunderstandings. I, for one, am ecstatic that there is more to this wonderful story. Thank you so much for the privilege of reading your work.

I couldn't believe it when I saw a new chapter had been posted so quickly after the last one!
Dare I hope that this becomes a trend?

SamanthaP
I couldn't believe it when I saw a new chapter had been posted so quickly after the last one!
Dare I hope that this becomes a trend?

i feel the same way. i was so shocked.

i dont know about anyone else but i'm so happy to see more of darcy and lizzy. i feel that jamie and mal are pretty much done. theyre happy and i cant see them going anywhere. but with darcy and lizzy theyre so many unfinished things. like the whole wickham thing.

my husband thought that i was going crazy because i was practically jumping up and down on the couch (pulling a tom cruize) when i saw there was an update so soon after the last one.

I can't help wondering if Mr. Darcy's death was a plot device to get Elizabeth back to Pemberley while Darcy is there, or whether there's some significance to his having to die before they can reunite. It reminds me of Moses getting to the Promised Land but not being able to enter it. Only his followers were given that privilege.

I also have a question: What did Darcy mean when he says, " 'Elizabeth, you do know I have never-....Not in word or deed." Losing this one battle, he closed his eyes his expression pained." What does "Losing this one battle" refer to -- which battle?

Wow, two chapters within a week. What a great story...cant wait to see where it leads from here. WooHoo!!!

I must admit I have only recently discovered the "mrsdarcy" website and have thus only read a few of the fanfiction stories. Tanya, having read yours, I am very much impressed by your style and your abilities of inventing such surprising and complex plots!! Your imagination appears to be endless I truly hope this story doesn't end too soon, although I admit I can hardly wait for the next chapter...

Tanya, What a mixture of emotions in one wonderful chapter. I know I have said it before but you are a great writer. I was glued once again to every word you wrote.
I tell you Elizabeth has been driving me crazy for some time and in this chapter I just wanted to shack her silly when she wouldn't / couldn't talk to William. I just hope they don't slip up now that they have finally started opening up. As always I look forward to more. Thank you for such a Great story.

Count me in with all the rest. I love this story and, yes, the angst. You write emotional turbulence so well. I am a) excited to hear more chapters are coming as I think that both E&D have lots more to clear up between them and b) stressed because I don't know if I can take the wait between the chapters.

I also want to know where is Cat? Why did he run away in the hallway? Is he shunning Elizabeth? Given his allegiance wholly to Darcy? And, will Darcy mend the fence with Jamie? Did Wickham really die-doubt it, his sort never get their due?

We need a promise that you will encourage the muse to write faster and also that you will publish this. I want a copy (soon!).

Thank you so much for another superb chapter Tanya.
It's posting an even bigger surprise than the last one!
I must admit I had to stop reading it at one stage, when Darcy was admitting he would let Elizabeth go, if she still wanted it. God! what desolation and sadness. I just wept! And Elizabeth! I could have shaken her!
Darcy, desperate in his need to know if she had a care for him. She just couldn't tell him. What utter despair they both suffered.
Their reconcilliation was just so real .........I don't think it was desire they felt, but it was there obviously, more a need for comfort, physical and emotional.
Darcy and Jamie still haven't made their peace.....I feel there is more to come...... and Jamie is a little suspicious of why Elizabeth is staying. Did Darcy force her?? WE know he did not... and she has told him she cares for Darcy. We will see..but I think their day of reckoning regarding their past troubles will come.
And of course there is Wickham............I do not think for one minute that he is dead...that would be too easy! And Tanya has mentioned the owl ring again in this post ....is it a clue?
And Valerie and the letter............... that problem needs to be addressed as well, I suspect.
Not who wrote the letter, but were the contents the truth??
You have spoiled us a bit Tanya with two chapters so close together, please do not wait too long to post again.
And please not to much angst .......some little angst is ok with me, but not big D&E angst. Separation angst! Just couldn't take it!

Simply the best chapter so far because D & E are reunited. You're writing I don't have to tell you is superb.I was reading this at work in the wee hours of the morning and tears are just flowing,my co-workers was worried if I received a terrible news.SIGH!I just hope that it's not too long for the next post. Thank you once again.
annj

Awesome chapter, Tanya! I have a big, stupid smile on my face, and you are directly responsible.

Thank you.
Debbie

How very happy I was to see a new update so soon and what a glorius chapter it is! The only sadness was in thinking that it might be ending soon -- except that would put us out of our bittersweet misery. Then I saw the message that the story is not ending soon and that is good news indeed. More bittersweet misery is on the way -- and more deliciously satisfying writing -- and more of these characters who have lept off the page and become real as well as a part of our hearts. What a gift, Tanya. Thank you. However, sometimes that Lizzy drives me a little crazy -- I have to keep reminding myself how young she is.

The emotion in this chapter was so convincing and real. I found myself in tears and also remembering vividly the pain of my own father's death. I also felt the immense relief when E&D finally found their way back to each other. What a wonderfully appealing vulnerable Darcy, openly declaring his need for her. What excruciatingly poignant moments that only made reconciliation so much more fulfilling.

It makes sense that there is much more to this story as there are still big issues at stake. Tanya is not one to gloss over these things and will take her sweet time to make certain each detail comes together. She is a writer that we can trust not to be hasty or rash.

But like someone else has said, now that we've had two installments so close together, it will be even harder if we must wait long. However, we will wait. This is an amazing and wonderful story that we have remained faithful to for quite some time.

Thank you again, Tanya, for sharing your gift with us.

I also have a question: What did Darcy mean when he says, " 'Elizabeth, you do know I have never-....Not in word or deed." Losing this one battle, he closed his eyes his expression pained." What does "Losing this one battle" refer to -- which battle?

Ophelia, I have been thinking about the above question and I think Darcy has decided to be truthful with Elizabeth about past events.
The spectre of Valerie and that night at Vauxhall Gardens and the knowledge that Elizabeth knows about it has probably played on his conscience and he will try to be honest when the topic comes up.
However, he did not know about Miss Bingley's affection for him, therefore he could not be honest with her! Therefore he lost that battle. It pained him because he desperately wants to be honest with Elizabeth ..... he WAS honest with her... because he did not know!
But I believe he will face the question of Valerie soon and I hope ha handles it well.

I don't know whether any of that makes sense!

I think your comments are interesting, Deirdre. They made me think, but it still seems odd that he would say one thing and mean another if he's trying to be honest. Someone suggested earlier on this thread that we don't know what happened with Valerie, but we do. He was impotent and realized he couldn't "love one woman and bed another."

It seems clearer and clearer that Caroline wrote the letter. But what the heck is she doing there? is she Lord Gregory's companion? Does Gregory look so bad because he realizes she loves Darcy, not him? Or because he's genuinely grieved about Mr. Darcy's death. Did they stay in the same room? Why else would she be there? She's not a particular friend of Darcy's.

I can't decide if some of these puzzles are, on the part of Tanya, witting or unwitting (she has nothing to reproach herself with though: Shakespeare did that all the time -- forgot something he had written earlier and writes a puzzling line later that seems to be perplexing and make one scratch her head.)

I trust Tanya's unconscious perceptions and conscious skill to continue to give us one of the best stories in fanfiction.

you don't know how excited i was to see that tanya had updated strange bedfellows. its one of my all time favorite fan fictions to date. I just hope she keeps updating and doesn't leave her readers in suspense! Its such a great story, and so well written. Bravo tanya!

Wow! What wonderful updates! I had some crisis at home for the last few mths and now all is looking good, thus am going back to fanfic, and here i got to read Tanya's 2 new chapters!

Finally they have come to an understanding and i hope they will trust each other enough to go thru whatever that is coming to disrupt their lives. Hope we don't have to wait too long for your next update, tanya! Big thanks for this great story!

ophelia
I think your comments are interesting, Deirdre. They made me think, but it still seems odd that he would say one thing and mean another if he's trying to be honest. Someone suggested earlier on this thread that we don't know what happened with Valerie, but we do. He was impotent and realized he couldn't "love one woman and bed another."

It seems clearer and clearer that Caroline wrote the letter. But what the heck is she doing there? is she Lord Gregory's companion? Does Gregory look so bad because he realizes she loves Darcy, not him? Or because he's genuinely grieved about Mr. Darcy's death. Did they stay in the same room? Why else would she be there? She's not a particular friend of Darcy's.

I can't decide if some of these puzzles are, on the part of Tanya, witting or unwitting (she has nothing to reproach herself with though: Shakespeare did that all the time -- forgot something he had written earlier and writes a puzzling line later that seems to be perplexing and make one scratch her head.)

I trust Tanya's unconscious perceptions and conscious skill to continue to give us one of the best stories in fanfiction.

Well Ophelia.............I didn't actually mean Darcy was saying one thing and meaning another...it was my 'inept' way of writing! Oops!
What I meant was ( and here goes..) he was trying to explain and and went into self-defence mode at the same time. He didn't have anything to defend as regards Caroline Bingley......... he truthfully did not know she loved him.
He was defending himself almost.....'no I didn't know she had the hots for me, Elizabeth, honestly...I didn't do anything to encourage her'... but he did encourage Valerie.............
But he knows he has battles ahead with explaining and being honest with Elizabeth........especially regarding Valerie. Does that make any sense??
We do know of course that nothing happened but .....he literally couldn't do it to Elizabeth.........couldn't, as you said, love one woman and bed another.
However he did promise Elizabeth fidelity during their marriage and he very nearly broke his promise.
As regards Caroline Bingley I think Darcy feels a bit of duty towards her........she was Bingley's sister, one of his closest friends. He comforted her after Bingleys death and I think she took it to meaning more. I think Lord Gregory is 'courting' her( fool!) in a way, but he knows she is in love with Darcy. He was the one who told Elizabeth in a round about way. I think Lord Gregory is now smiling because firstly he is genuinely pleased for Elizabeth and Darcy, and secondly Caroline might concentrate on him. I think Caroline has probably been using her friendship with him to get to Darcy.

Well, see if you can make some sense of that!

Deirdra
ophelia
I think your comments are interesting, Deirdre. ... Someone suggested earlier on this thread that we don't know what happened with Valerie, but we do. He was impotent and realized he couldn't "love one woman and bed another."

It seems clearer and clearer that Caroline wrote the letter. ...
I can't decide if some of these puzzles are, on the part of Tanya, witting or unwitting

Well Ophelia.............I didn't actually mean Darcy was saying one thing and meaning another...it was my 'inept' way of writing! Oops!
What I meant was ( and here goes..) he was trying to explain and and went into self-defence mode at the same time. He didn't have anything to defend as regards Caroline Bingley......... he truthfully did not know she loved him. ...
But he knows he has battles ahead with explaining and being honest with Elizabeth........especially regarding Valerie. Does that make any sense??
As regards Caroline Bingley I think Darcy feels a bit of duty towards her........she was Bingley's sister, one of his closest friends. He comforted her after Bingleys death and I think she took it to meaning more. I think Lord Gregory is 'courting' her( fool!) in a way, but he knows she is in love with Darcy.

I hope you will both excuse my butting in on your discussion with a few observations of my own, especially since I am about to take both of you to task (with all due respect and affection, of course ).

Honestly, I think you are both jumping to conclusions that Tanya has not written. We need to separate ideas that pop into our heads as readers from what is actually on the page. I suggest this is the better route because it helps us enjoy a story more and is respectful to the writer.

Tanya has not told us that Miss Bingley and Lord Gregory are courting, and indeed, I doubt that is the case. I would also be surprised to find that Lord Gregory is in love with Caroline--but if Tanya tells me that is the case, okay. They know each other and are in each other company--acquaintances. If Tanya wants to tell us there is more of a relationship there, then the groundwork has been laid, but so far, that is NOT a part of the story. As readers, we need to separate what the writer has said or indicated from what we think the writer might say or indicate next.

I also think you're both making too much of Darcy's response to Elizabeth's telling him that Miss Bingley is in love with him. Tanya clearly writes that he never recognized Miss Bingley's designs upon, although it was obvious to everyone else. We can surmise that Miss Bingley hoped to use the sad occasion of Mr. Darcy Sr.'s death as an opportunity to impress upon Darcy her good looks and desirability--hence, she shows up not in mourning clothes but dressed to the nines. Miss Bingley probably did not expect Darcy's erstwhile wife to also come to Pemberley--or that husband and wife would reconcile after being apart for three years--so, I think that's why she was disappointed to see them embracing, and why she departed with such a disappointed look on her face. Bummer! for Miss Bingley. Talk about dashed hopes.

Also, I disagree that Darcy's remark to Elizabeth about his unawareness of Miss Bingley has anything to do with Valerie. I may be wrong about that and am certainly willing to listen to an argument,but I don't see it at the moment.

Tanya tells us clearly that Darcy does not sleep with the Vauxhill courtesan that last time he returned to her place with her. It's not because the virile Darcy has suddenly lost his physical prowess; rather, it is a compliment to Elizabeth that she so fills his mind that the beautiful and highly sexual Valerie just cannot do it for him anymore. Realistically, men (or women, for that matter) don't have to be in love to have sex, but Darcy does not want to have sex with someone even as gorgeous as Valerie and whose charms he has certainly indulged before. Things have changed for him.

But is the fact that he went with Valierie that night something he feels guilty about and is on the verge of telling Elizabeth? Why would he? Why would he hurt her that way by telling her something it's really not helpful for her to know? If she asks him, that becomes a different issue (and, of course, he does not know about the letter sent anonymously to Elizabeth telling about his going off with the prostitute).

From what Tanya has written, I don't see Darcy feeling such guilt over this now long-ago incident that it's top of his mind and something he feels he should apologize for. I don't find it suggested in a few hesitant words of dialogue from him--unless someone can give me a good argument regarding what I might be missing.

I also don't think Tanya's writing is filled or even dotted with puzzles resulting from some inconsistency or lack of clarity. I think her focus is sure at all times. Readers who find puzzles are perhaps not reading clearly and making up a story in their own heads that is really not on the page (or, more precisely, the screen).

Hi Lacy
Can I just pick you up on one thing in your post - Darcy certainly does know about the letter.
Lord Gregory showed it to him. He also told Darcy when Elizabeth asked if any of it was true he lied. He said Darcy thought too much of her to dishonour her.Something like that, there was more but I cannot remember without reading that part again.
So in my view Darcy has big guilt about this episode.

As regards the conjecture part of our posts well... everything is in the eye of the beholder or the mind of the reader!
Part of the joy and fun of reading a story for me is imagining what the author meant by this, that or the other! Rightly or wrongly!
I might be totally off the plot with all my theories but boy is it good fun!

Deirdra
Hi Lacy
Can I just pick you up on one thing in your post - Darcy certainly does know about the letter.
Lord Gregory showed it to him. He also told Darcy when Elizabeth asked if any of it was true he lied. He said Darcy thought too much of her to dishonour her.Something like that, there was more but I cannot remember without reading that part again.
So in my view Darcy has big guilt about this episode.

As regards the conjecture part of our posts well... everything is in the eye of the beholder or the mind of the reader!
Part of the joy and fun of reading a story for me is imagining what the author meant by this, that or the other! Rightly or wrongly!
I might be totally off the plot with all my theories but boy is it good fun!

Deirdra, you are right about the letter! I stand corrected on that point. Also, having made that concession, I accept that his remark about never having led Miss Bingley on might also have been tinged with guilt regarding his behavior with Valerie.

It also gives me a good opportunity to add that perhaps it was not Miss Bingley who sent the letter but Valerie herself. She told Darcy that night that he was "uxorious," or, in other words, foolishly devoted to his wife. Valerie knows Darcy would never marry her but resents that his marriage is taking him from her bed. Other married men have mistresses so why shouldn't he? She also asked him to stay with her that night because she did not want to be alone, so it may be that she was planning to be able to say, or have witnesses say, that Darcy did not leave until morning--which is true, although his night with her was, for want of another word, innocent.

And, if Miss Bingley did not send the letter, then I, for one, would be much more willing to see her have a happy ending of some kind with someone. Now here's a bit of speculation totally out of left field--I thought Lord Gregory was gay. Note, however, that I recognize the difference between Tanya's writing this and my making it up in my own head.

I agree, speculation is fun. However, this story is so good and Tanya such a great writer that I want to leave no doubt as to how much it is appreciated--while I may sometimes have flaws as a reader, I think Tanya comes pretty close to being perfect as a writer.

Lacy, I think Tanya is smart enough to know that neither Deirdra nor I meant any negativity. I compared Tanya to Shakespeare, and one can't do better than that. Plus she strikes me as someone who doesn't need defenders. To generate so much enjoyment and speculation is a great compliment. I just came from a JASNA meeting, and all we did was speculate about Austen's books. One starts with the words on the page and tries to tease out meaning. And so ideas flow, and people of good will may disagree.

But, point taken. I'll try to read more closely, something I've been telling my literature students to do for the past 30 years -- a skill that is never fully mastered, or there would be no material for dissertations.

And, uh, Darcy did know about the letter. Lord Gregory told him. I would also ask you to read my earlier remarks more closely about inconsistencies. They happen all the time with the best of writers. That's what editors are for. There wasn't a whit of criticism implied for Tanya there.

Due respect and affection accepted. Now let's get back to our enjoyable discussion and let our wonderful Mrs Darcy (Renee) monitor any remarks that may seem untoward.

Susan

Wow, what an interesting in-depth discussion you're having. I've read it with great interest and am impressed. I'm sure Tanya will be too. Please go on, dear ladies!

Two wonderful chapters, taking us through despair to hope. I am so glad to see Tanya back and posting! The account of Elizabeth's return and her gradual opening to Darcy's misery and desire was both beautiful and entirely credible.

Having worked for 20 years on and off in Kolkata (Calcutta), and having seen the graves of many of the British who came here in the city's several churches, I have really enjoyed Tanya's descriptions of the Raj.

I do want to go back and read the story from the start. In the process, I guess I may come up with inconsistencies, but it is a tribute to Tanya's work that we feel motivated to do that, and to subject her work to the literary critique more usually associated with published texts. It's intended as a compliment; and I hope that is how it will be received.

Thanks
JulietR

1 2 3 4 5