Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Darcy's name origin

Look what I have found. Maybe you have long known this ,but it was knew to me ...at least the first meaning.

The boy's name Darcy d(a)-rcy, dar-cy, also used as girl's name Darcy, is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "dark". Also a Norman place name, "from Arcy". Literary: Jane Austen named the haughty hero of "Pride and Prejudice" "Mr. Darcy", with connotations of Norman aristocracy.

Re: Darcy's name origin

And... it's a dog's name too. In St Trinians' the headmistress' dog is called Mr Darcy.

Bois d'Arcy is a little town, not in Normandy, but in the French region surrounding Paris, "Île de France". I've used it in my story "The Grand Tour".

Re: Darcy's name origin

Wow, thank you for this bit of info, Malena. I love the connotations you mention: the reference to darkness (so appropriate!), the Irish/Gaelic/Norman possible origin... it opens a world of new fanfiction possibilities, doesn't it?

And OMG the bit about the dog, Renée!