Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tanya's Strange Bedfellows

Posted by: Sue

This is the best fanfic ever and this chapter was brimming with hearfelt emotiona nd dripping with passion and angst. Please write more soon and then publish it.

drsuebee

you don't know how excited i was to see that tanya had updated strange bedfellows. its one of my all time favorite fan fictions to date. I just hope she keeps updating and doesn't leave her readers in suspense! Its such a great story, and so well written. Bravo tanya!

Lacy, I think Tanya is smart enough to know that neither Deirdra nor I meant any negativity. I compared Tanya to Shakespeare, and one can't do better than that. Plus she strikes me as someone who doesn't need defenders. To generate so much enjoyment and speculation is a great compliment. I just came from a JASNA meeting, and all we did was speculate about Austen's books. One starts with the words on the page and tries to tease out meaning. And so ideas flow, and people of good will may disagree.

But, point taken. I'll try to read more closely, something I've been telling my literature students to do for the past 30 years -- a skill that is never fully mastered, or there would be no material for dissertations.

And, uh, Darcy did know about the letter. Lord Gregory told him. I would also ask you to read my earlier remarks more closely about inconsistencies. They happen all the time with the best of writers. That's what editors are for. There wasn't a whit of criticism implied for Tanya there.

Due respect and affection accepted. Now let's get back to our enjoyable discussion and let our wonderful Mrs Darcy (Renee) monitor any remarks that may seem untoward.

Susan

Wow, what an interesting in-depth discussion you're having. I've read it with great interest and am impressed. I'm sure Tanya will be too. Please go on, dear ladies!

Two wonderful chapters, taking us through despair to hope. I am so glad to see Tanya back and posting! The account of Elizabeth's return and her gradual opening to Darcy's misery and desire was both beautiful and entirely credible.

Having worked for 20 years on and off in Kolkata (Calcutta), and having seen the graves of many of the British who came here in the city's several churches, I have really enjoyed Tanya's descriptions of the Raj.

I do want to go back and read the story from the start. In the process, I guess I may come up with inconsistencies, but it is a tribute to Tanya's work that we feel motivated to do that, and to subject her work to the literary critique more usually associated with published texts. It's intended as a compliment; and I hope that is how it will be received.

Thanks
JulietR

I was pleasantly surprised a week ago when I found, by accident, a new chapter, so imagine my shock when another one was posted. Dare I hope that posting will be regular from now on?

Now about the story, I'm glad for the reconciliation, it was a big step for them to admit that they don't want to be apart now or ever, but they still have a long way to go. In the previous chapter Elizabeth laid all the blame on Wickham and Darcy still doesn't feel that he has to explain anything to Elizabeth. Speaking of Wickham, I suppose he's not really dead, is he? That man pops up at the worst possible moment.
I'm also curious about Miss Bingley and Lord Gregory. Miss Bingley was displeased with him (or was it also the other way around?) and if I recall correctly Lord Gregory had mentioned that he had to take Darcy's scraps or something like that. But since, the story is far from complete I hope we'll get some answers on that front.

Anyway, Tanya, thank you for continuing this story. It is one of my favourites and the only JA fanfic I'm following these days.

Maria, my dear, I'm so happy to see you here. I know you're not that much into JA FF anymore, but if you knew how awesome Lisa L's new one, Sophie's, Ellen G's, Malena's etc. were... you might change your mind

R~

First off - kudos to Tanya for a wonderful story! I'm so happy she posted earlier than I would have imagined - after a loong hiatus...

I just found an ironic part in the story(minor detail):

*scene: Elizabeth asked to see Mr Darcy Senior...

Inside the room, Darcy set his taper upon the mantel. Elizabeth shivered, cuddled more tightly into her shawl

....during her conversation with Darcy Junior, still in the same room...

She shivered and regretted not having her shawl with her.

oopsss

Tanya,

I'm glad to see that things are finally coming along. I'm happy to see Jamie and Malvina happy with a Tommy and that Lizzy has decided to stay with Darcy and be his Mistress of Pemberley. I could feel Lizzy's pain at not seeing Mr. Darcy one last time, however. I felt a bit sorry for Caroline. Not a lot... just a bit, but I'm sure that will pass.

I'm not sure as to Wickham's fate. Is he really dead or is the presumption a wish? Something in my gut says he will be back. And with him, the truth as to the hatred between Will and Wickham.

Aimee

Copy of the comments on Strange Bedfellows for which the posters opened a new thread:

Oh my Gosh Tanya that was a nice long chapter full of wonderful happenings with James' return, marriage and birth of his and Mel's son. And of course longing for Elizabeth and William to finally connect again. I hope you tell us how William has been fairing in the next chapter, its been awhile since we have heard much of him and his family. Thanks again and of course I will be looking forward to the next chapter.
Julia42

I am soooooooooooooo excited to see a new chapter. I'm glad that E is realizing what a mistake she has made. I wonder what Darcy has been doing all this time. I hope he has been a good boy. This couple does not need any more problems of the past to crop up. Tanya, I loved it all and am anxiously awaiting more. Especially since I can't see how you can avoid the subject of Darcy and Elizabeth. Malvina has helped her and I believe she will continue to do so in her reconcilation with Darcy. Hopefully there will be one. Please post soon!!!! Thank you!
Cindy

first off thankyou for posting and such a long one.

now that mal and jamie have pretty much found there happy ending i hope to see more of lizzy and darcy. i fear the only thing that can bring their stubburn-heads back together is an illness with either one of them. she was chilled in the last scene, so it is a possibility.

2 years is a long wait for these two. she is no long an innocent naive child that she once was. i'm glad mal enlightened her about wickham.

some questions on my mind:
why has he still not sought her out eventhough, it is almost been 2 years? u would think that after 2 years he would propelled to do something.
why was he with miss bingley? i know he was friends with her brother, but still.
why did he not acknowledge her? at least lord gregory bowed to her.
why hasnt mr darcy sr. sought her out after all this time? she visted that once early on, but not since
why is jamie so mad that darcy was there? i thought he had reconciled all that in the past

thankyou, thankyou for posting. please, i'm grovelling here, please don't take so long to post next time. in the meantime i will be your loyal fan who checks often for upadates
Mags

Hi Tanya, It's wonderful to see you posted a new chapter! I reread SB to refreash my memory about this excellant story! Although,Regency life moves extremely slow compared to our day,I am a little depressed about the amount of time that has past between D&E 's estangement! The only conclusion I come to is your using time to heal the pain and mature both characters! Since you implied that both are truly in love with each other there only happiness is with each other! Looks like your bringing them together by passings ,which should stur those deep true love feelings they have repressed for so long to there hearts once more! One can only hope there pain and suffering will come to an end soon! Thanks so much for your continuing this story it is greatly appreciated ! Post again soon,PLEASE!!!!!
DLSchickel

What a wonderful, emotional, gripping, sad chapter! I'm so glad to finally read about Darcy and Elizabeth back together and the romance in this story is better than any other one I've read. Glad to hear it's not ending yet and I just hope that my heart can stand the waiting!
Ara

Great chapter. I'm so glad that Jamie & Malvina are together and happy.

Now Elizabeth needs to find a way to work things out with Darcy.

Love your writing...
Leona

What a truly fantastic surprise!
I was whooping for joy when I saw an update from Tanya!
It was a wonderful chapter - but the tension!
I thought Malvena would never tell Elizabeth about Wickham but of course she had more important things to worry about. Jamie's safety being one of them! And the birth of their child.
I loved how you got through both their journeys from India without too much angst and got Malvena to Elizabeth...... and finally warn her of Wickham's charater. But Elizabeth had already worked most of that out herself which made the parting from Darcy all the more painful and fraught.
She is now a little bit older and wiser and more mature but at what cost?
Malvena's strength of character and her maturity shone through in her talk with Elizabeth.
But also the change in Elizabeth began to show as well. She knows she was a fool to believe Wickham......and has probably lost Darcy for ever, in her eyes.
And then the end of the chapter.............

What a place to leave it .........

Now that Jamie knows Elizabeth's true feelings for Darcy will he intervene?
I am in great anticipation of Jamie and Darcy's meeting .............they must meet sometime!

Will Darcy have seen in Elizabeth the same 'intense sadness' as was etched on his face?

Someone must make the first move...but who will it be?

Please please please post soon Tanya.
PS
What a great day this has turned out to be!!
Deirdra

Chapter 29
Thank you, Tanya for making today so special. I was hoping that we'd get a new post soon and you gave it today. This was the story that got me hooked on JAFF. Without it I wouldn't have joined any other groups or boards looking for more of your story.

I'm glad about Jamie and Mal. It was very touching, but I'm really dying for D and E! Please let it be soon, even if they are fighting!
Amy Lynn

Tanya,
Thank you so much for this new posting. I have enjoyed this story from the beginning. It is one of my all time favorites.
It seems that all the characters are together in England, but I fear that Wickham is not dead and with Jamie's missing ring, he will still attempt some further damage against Malvina and Jamie.
As for Darcy and Elizabeth, I can only hope that you will be able to bring them back together before the end.
Thank you so much and I will be diligently looking for more soon, I hope.
Sandy C

Thank you! thank you! i wonder f Darcy knew it was her bother whos acted in that private way with her? Did they know eahe other? I don't remember, but I think not!...did I guess right the plot?...
One of the best story I ever read!
Anushca

OMG you made my day with your new post of Strange Bedfellows!!!!! I loved it, and my heart is aching for Darcy and Lizzy. I cannot wait for the next chapter hurry please.
Thanks for making my day!!
Teri

Dear Tanya,
Thank you, for continuing with this wonderful story.
I loved that you have resolved Jamie's life (bringing him back to England, Marrying him, and having him become a father to a son the heir of Longbourn). You even got Elizabeth to learn that Wickham was evil and that she was happy with her husband and that she misses him and yes she loves him. She even got to see him. Pleas post soon!!!
FDE

Dear Tanya,
Thank you for another great chapter!!!
I loved that so many things got corrected with Jamie (back in England, married, and a son). I'm so happy that Elizabeth know that Wickham was not a good man and that she cares for her husband. She realizes that she was happy with him and she realizes that she wants him but she doesn't think he wants her. Can Jamie talk to Darcy and let him know that his sister loves him. Pleas post soon! Thank you for not giving up on this story. I love it your writing is beautiful.
Love ya,
FDE

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! words cannot describe how happy I was to be reading this brand new chapter of Strange Bedfellows. I really feel that I cannot say more than thank you so much all over again, times ten if I may..:p

It makes me feel teary, happy, amorous and alive~~~~

But it doesn't really feel like the story is quite done... and secretly, I don't want it to be:) I'm ever so happy we've gone over the major angst...*whew* what a hump! But it's just one of the many pleasures to know that this story might still be going on and on...

thank you so much again for all your hardwork!!

OMG!!!!! I was in the middle of studying for one of my finals when I took a small break and magically ended up at Mrs. Darcy's site (go figure). I can not tell you how happy I was to see that you POSTED! I jumped off the bed, yelled and did a little dance. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good and so worth the wait! Little Tommy that was a wonderful surprise and the part about Ruth was perfect. It takes a great writer to create OC that the reader cares for almost as much as the original main ones. And you have done this with Jamie, Mal, Ruth, and Old Mr. Darcy. But my favorite part was when Darcy and Elizabeth meet again, I screamed with happiness!
Kathryn
P.S. After rereading this post I think that I might be coming across crazy or something but the truth is that I really do not have the words to tell you how much I LOVE your story and writing and have loved it for so long. (Close to four years. WOW! has it really been that long) Keep it up you are an amazing writer.

I was so happy to see that you had posted new chapters. I couldn't believe it when I saw you were writing and Elizabeth and Darcy after what seems like forever. Then, not only did they finally meet again after all that time, they reconciled. Hooray! I have been waiting for this for a very long time. Thanks so much for bringing them back together! I am still curious what the big untold secret is, but hope that there won't be too much angst involved (or at least not a few years worth next time).

Thanks so much for posting new material. This is my all time favorite P&P fanfic and I had started to worry that I would never get to see them reunited. You made my day.

I feel like I've been following this story for years. I had to go back and read from chapter 22 on to get caught up.

Tanya ... you are so talented! This is such a complex story with seeds planted all along the way. I am currently living in fear that Wickham was the one who passed the maps to the enemy and will somehow frame Jamie for it using the Owl ring. I always knew Wickham was bad but his evilness in this story knows no bounds! I know Darcy and Jamie will reconcile but I fear Darcy will have to somehow save Jamie when Wickham's true evil acts are found out. Hopefully, he will not have to bring up the past. Now my imagination is running away from me!!! We have been so fortunate to get two very long quick posts ... I'll wait patiently for the next!

Anne

Wonderful story- thank you soooooo much for continuing it. You are a very talented author.

Tanya I'm so glad to be able to read more of this wonderful story.

Keep writing; you rock

Tanya, let me say that you are my favourit fanfic author ever! I read this story for the first time a year ago. It gives me great hope now that you've continued it. Pleas, your style and wit, portrayals and emotions are all terrific! I would be delighted to see a conclusion to "Strange bedfellows"

Sincerest regard
Elizabeth Julianne

When you love JA fanfiction as much as I do, and read as much of it it as I do, then it really takes something for a story to rise to the top of my list. Your story is something special to me--really--and I know I love and praise a lot of things and mean all of it--but yours, this story--I am speechless actually.

How long do you expect it will be? I could see this going on for another 30 chapters--or more!, and while I wish I could have them all right now, I know I am going to be sad when this ends. But still lots of story left, I hope???

I cannot believe I've deprived myself of happiness all this time. ;-) I didn't even bother checking for posts, and here were two WONDERFUL ones sitting here all this time! I'm as bad as Lizzy.

God, I loved that last chapter!! Honestly, Jamie & Mal don't interest me that much (please don't be mad at me!), I'm there for Lizzie & Darcy!!! And I'm SO glad that they're FINALLY together!!!! But I would like to see them talk about the who.. I mean the "mistress" thing... Because, like Elizabeth, I would not feel quite secure untill I knew there was nothing between him and the bit.. woman. She needs to see that she is beautiful too.

Liz86000
God, I loved that last chapter!! Honestly, Jamie & Mal don't interest me that much (please don't be mad at me!), I'm there for Lizzie & Darcy!!! And I'm SO glad that they're FINALLY together!!!! But I would like to see them talk about the who.. I mean the "mistress" thing... Because, like Elizabeth, I would not feel quite secure untill I knew there was nothing between him and the bit.. woman. She needs to see that she is beautiful too.

I am fascinated, too, by Darcy and Elizabeth, but James and Malvina present an excellent counterpoint or contrast. While D&E married almost immediately, they spent months before they could express themselves physically. J&M almost immediately established a physical relationship, but Mal shied away from marriage at first and later takes nothing for granted that he will want to marry her.

This is such a rich story in so many ways.

I'm not sure they really need to explore the "Valerie" issue. Elizabeth seems to have learned that not all secrets can be exposed, and she doesn't seem to want to put him on the spot about the beautiful blonde. I wonder if this will become a plot point--and is it possible Wickham had a hand in sending the note to Elizabeth that exposed Darcy's rendezvous? Or, was he already out of the country by then, and other than mischief, what would have been his goal?

I hope a new post is on the way soon. I for one am dying for more!

Liz86000

I totally agree, I'm a bit impatient when it comes to Jamie and Mal. I wish for more about Elizabeth and Darcy

I keep wondering if Valerie is going to rear her ugly head and cause trouble. She is in love with Darcy and even though we haven't heard of her, I'm sure she has been keeping tabs on Darcy. She is in love with him ins't she or at least was hoping she could keep him for herself. I just want to read more. There are a few unanswered questions. Please post soon! By the way, I am also selfish when it comes to E & D. I like Jamie and Mal, but could live without much detail.

My God, they're together again! Thanks so much, Tanya!
I'm so curious about what's going to happen from now on... Please, update as soon as you can.
Kisses

Curious little italian monkey here to check if there is any chance we might have a new chapter to read for the holidays?!

^_^ ciao to tanya and all SB fans

Wow!!!! RL has kept me away from the wonderful world of JA for too long, and I couldn't be more thrilled to come back and see new posts (plural!) for Strange Bedfellows. It is the first JA fiction I've ever read, and it's without a doubt my favorite.

This last chapter, especially, was beautiful. I know that Darcy and Elizabeth have several major issues that still need sorting (which means more story for the greedy readers!), but hopefully they're on the same page now. Both of them know that they want this marriage to work, so they have the freedom to be honest and sort through their problems. I can't wait to see them mend and grow. Tanya, you write so beautifully and give everything so much depth that is often lacking, and I'm excited to see where you take it from here. Thank you! And thank you, Renee, for posting this story on your site!

P.S. These new chapters and my long absence give me an excuse to re-read the story again! I can't wait!

You spoiled me with several quick posts and now I'm longing for more. This is such a supense filled story and there are so many possiblities left. I will try to wait patiently.
Geri

Tell us what we need to say to get you to post again, Tanya. For example, I love the way you wrote the conversation between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 30, where they are essentially having two conversations at once, missing each other's meaning and yet understanding each other perfectly. It's a marvel. I'm hooked into this story and want so to know where you will take these characters--of course, I suspect, to a happy ending, but of course, it's the "how" they get there that matters. Neither my own imagination or the fine speculations of my fellow readers here in this comment thread can assuage my hunger and thirst for your words and vision--and I can speak pretty confidently that I am not alone.

As the song says, ain't too proud to beg . . . if begging helps?

Lacy
Tell us what we need to say to get you to post again, Tanya.

As the song says, ain't too proud to beg . . . if begging helps?

Me neither! I'm begging,too! This is on my all-time favorites list and I want more!!!!

Sandy

Sandy, my dear, and all other fans out there... Chapter 31 is up. Enjoy! Don't forget your fan...

And the love affair continues, with Elizabeth and Darcy both at Pemberley--how different from the first time they were both there together. What a pleasure to witness their exploring of the accord between, their passion. . . And yet,

"Elizabeth, you still know nothing of love."

She glared at him, but said nothing, realizing that perhaps, he was not merely speaking of Lord Gregory.

Whatever does he mean? This is a mystery I hope you will explore in the next chapter now that the issue of Lady Catherine seems settled--loved those scenes--and the question of Wickham, while not really explained, also seems settled between them.

I read this chapter slowly, lingering on each word. It most definitely rose to the standard set by the rest of this most excellent story.

I sincerely, deeply love this story.

Yay! Another post from Tanya! I love this story so much and check almost daily for an update!

Wow! Things are really heating up between Lizzy and Darcy. *swoon* I was so glad to see her finally standing up for herself. I thought I would die when Lady Catherine didn't know what to say when Lizzy stood up to her and let her know just who was mistress of Pemberley! And the way Darcy shut her up was priceless!!

So, Wickham's name has come up...but I just know he isn't really dead...and I have this strange feeling that the ring is going to make a reappearance and it's not going to be good! And what's with Gregory and Caroline! Why is it that men can never see what is in front of them. Caroline will make him soooo miserable! And what does Darcy mean..."Elizabeth, you still know nothing of love."....what an enigmatic statement!

With all the loving going on, when will Lizzy begin to start the next generation of Darcy's? I sure hope it's soon! It's so good to see them finally working together. I still think there is a lot that needs to be talked out between them, but they have made such a great start.

I beg, humbly, for another post and soon. I just turned 60 and would so much enjoy being able to read the rest of this story while I can!

I have nothing but love and admiration for this story. It has long been a big favorite! It's like nothing else out there, and it such a moving and compelling tale.

Thank you so much Tanya and I sincerely hope that we don't have to wait months for another update! I'll send your muse all the good treats it wants!

Happy Writing!
Sandy

Oh, that was lovely. Then, finally, Wickham's name is mentioned in the end. I keep thinking "speak of the devil and in he walks"!!

Originally posted by Tricia:

Quote:
As wonderful as ever! Tanya, you're excellent in illustrating this fabulous couple. I can't have enough of it...Millions of thank!!!

Tanya that was beautiful and well worth the wait! I am so in love with this new intensely vulnerable Darcy. So much in love with his wife that it overwhelms him. I also like this more mature Elizabeth. Beginning to understand her husband and her willingness to now listen and talk to him. Loved the confrontation with Lady Catherine! Now wondering what is Lord G up to.
And what of Wickham? When will Darcy tell Lizzy the truth?

Hurry back with more!

I was so excited to see more! More passion! More love and I have a feeling - more angst coming! Soon please.

Tanya, I love, love, love the progress these two are making in their relationships. I'm, enjoying watching them build trust and get to know each other better. I'm also glad that they're starting to solve some the issues between them. However, I have a feeling that you still have a lot more in store for us. Wouldn't it be just like Wickham to make an appearance after everyone thinks he's dead. Another thing I'm extremely curious about is whether or not Darcy's secret past with Wickham will ever come out. I'll be perfectly happy either way, but I can't help but wonder. Thanks for another wonderful chapter! Thank you, Renee, for posting this story on your lovely site!

Sammy

Another chapter.Yippee! Thank you Tanya.

I loved how this chapter followed on directly after the ending of the last one, Lizzy and Darcy, shy with each other, nervous about their forthcoming 'assignation', especially Darcy's nervousness, this was so sweet, he being an experienced lover, and Lizzy not at all (apart from being with him).

I especially liked how we, the readers, were able to see inside Darcy's head, what he was thinking. His guilt about 'frolicking' with Lizzy while his father was still warm in his grave, his desperate need to help Lizzy enjoy their lovemaking.

So Lord Gregory is to marry Caroline. I always thought he had a 'tendre' for her. Whether it is love or that 'she will do', I don't know. Maybe he feels some guilt about the death of her brother happening at his estate ( it could have happened anywhere ).

Of course for Darcy and Elizabeth, the spectre of Valerie and the letter had to come up eventually. Darcy was honest with Lizzy, almost brutally so, in his explanation of the'event'.

And the making up afterwards.....................Wow!

But the business with Darcy and the courtesan is over and done with now, as well as other less significant events, Lizzy standing up to Lady Catherine, and Lizzy getting her own back on the gossip mongerers in Lampton!

But Darcy's cryptic remark about Lizzy not knowing what love is ( or something like that) meant, to me, that there are many forms of real love not just the blinding passionate sort.
And of course he may be feeling a little sensitive about this as he and Lizzy have yet to declare their love for each other, although it is obvious to everyone else!

But there is still Wickham........Is he dead?...I don't think so. But only you can tell us Tanya.

I also wonder whether the lovers, in their new found joy with each other, have forgotten Georgiana.

I hope Wickham doesn't find a way to get to her, assuming he is alive of course. She is so very young and vulnerable and maybe Darcy may have to carry out his threat to kill Wickham, not for Lizzie's honour but for Georgie's.

Please do not be too long in posting again Tanya.

lorena
You are such a great writer Tanya! I confess that I sectioned off the chapter and read it little by little over two days so that I could enjoy it more. I would actually sit and allow myself treats (reading little bits) during these past two days. Wonderful story, your best yet.

Lorena

What a pleasant surprise to find another chapter of this most intriguing story! Like Christmas in August.

Tanya this is a classic, and one of my very favorite stories in all of fandom! Thanks so much

There is excitement untold at finding another post to this wonderful story. I love, love, love.........this story. At last they have come together in truth and love.

I loved the way lizzy handled "the dragon"!! Good for her!! She truly is "the Mistress of Pemberley".

There will be more of this great story soon, I hope!!!

Great job, Tanya!!

Oh it was so great reading about their mutual love and consummation of their marriage finally. Well Darcy has gotten Lizzy to admit about her anger hopefully he will be able to reconcile his anguish regarding morning his father and loving and enjoying loving his wife. I also enjoyed Lizzy standing up to Lady Catherine

Tanya Thank you so much for the long new chapter.

Okay, I know I should be grateful for this chapter, which is wonderful, and I am very grateful. But already I want more.

Oh, the secrets that husbands and wives keep from each other--for the good of the beloved one, of course. In this case, Elizabeth cannot tell Darcy that it was Lord Gregory who clued her in that Miss Bingley had a tendre for Darcy. And now Lord Gregory turns around and marries the chit--ah, I mean Miss Bingley. It's no wonder Elizabeth assumes Lord Gregory is in it for the money.

By the way, was Bingley's estate--or the 100 thousand pounds he planned to use to buy property--divided equally among his sisters and his widow? Is that the way that would have worked? Or, does Caroline get an even bigger share? Either way, she probably does have a nice bit of change to attract a suitor. Was it money all these years that prompted Lord Gregory to be so often in Caroline's company, and even to accomodate her not-completely-appropriate (IMO) action of imposing herself upon him when he came to Mr. Darcy Senior's funeral? I am assuming that she did not get an explicit invitation from Darcy, who merely tolerated her because she had tagged along.

But, still, Darcy has a point when he implies that love is mysterious and not easily "known." Has Lord Gregory truly loved Caroline all these years? He always seemed kind to her. Darcy knows a thing or two about loving a woman for years before you tell her--and Darcy had more signs from Elizabeth, that he misread, than Lord Gregory is likely to have had from Caroline. Perhaps it is only now that Caroline has given up on Darcy that Lord Gregory has a chance.

Like those neighbor women who cannot fathom the depth of relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth and think Darcy a "saint" for allowing his prodigal wife to return -- Elizabeth is, perhaps, hasty to dismiss what might be between Lord Gregory and Caroline. The heart wants what the heart wants. And who knows what that is, except the individuals involved?

So, is it love or money prompting Lord Gregory? And, whether it is either, did Gregory protect Caroline when he recognized that it was her handwriting on the infamous note to Elizabeth about the visit to the courtesan? In fact, could Caroline have learned about Darcy's indiscretion from Lord Gregory, who might have spoken of it in an indiscreet moment of his own?

Also, what's up with Darcy's cryptic statement about Elizabeth knowing nothing of love -- does that mean he does not think Elizabeth loves him? -- because we know he loves her, although he has not said those words--at least not within the hearing of us readers. He did say "Come live with me and be my love. . ." but he was reciting poetry.

Does he think it's only a matter of his "tendency to grow on people -- and cats" that is keeping her around? Could he truly doubt that she loves him madly? Why, then, does he thinks she came back to him--certainly it was not shame over missing his father's final days. He must also know that physically attractive as he is, yet her feelings go deeper and wider than desire, however hot it burns?

And, what of Wickham--who I seriously doubt is dead, when there is still so much mischief he could create. What happened between him and Darcy? That Darcy could not tell his young wife?

I'm figuring that Darcy will not just up and 'fess it now--circumstances of some sort will force the information out, perhaps at the worst time possible? And, will Georgiana, who so far moves through this story like a quiet and inoffensive mouse, come in contact with Wickham in some way--something that might prompt Darcy to make good on his promise to kill the man. I know he was saying he would kill Wickham for touching Elizabeth--had that ever happened--but I'm betting Darcy would extend the promise to cover his sister.

After all, this story began with a brother being willing to fight a duel for his sister's honor. In that case, though, neither of them seemed to have their heart into killing each other. Let's hope Darcy's promise to kill Wickham doesn't happen if it leads to Darcy being jailed for committing murder--we want Darcy home in time for dinner with his beloved Elizabeth.

Tanya, thanks so much for the gorgeous,long, and steamy chapter! I loved all the happiness, the fun with Lady Catherine, the riding and everything. I wonder if Wickham is really dead but hope he is! Thanks again for the huge treat!

I love this story! Every update is sooo exciting! You are faced with the decision of reading it straight away because you just desperately want to know what happens or else savouring it. Tough call!

Really enjoyed this latest update! Was just the thing to procrastinate with while having a break from writing my honours paper!

Dear Tanya,
Thank you for continuing this wonderful story. At this stage of my life I don't have any time for anything but I somehow manage to check to see if you have updated your story weekly and yes yours is the only story I'm following. Your writting is wonderful and I enjoy trying to guess what will happen next. Even when I guess correctly your version is so much better than my imagination could ever be. You have a true gift and thank you for sharing it with us. Please update ASAP.

Wow! An update! Fantastic.

I very much enjoyed the switch to Darcy's POV.

I'm certain that Mr. Wickham will slither back into the story at some point, what with his history with Darcy being somewhat of a loaded rifle a la Chekov, but I'm enjoying their happiness in the meantime.

I think Gregory does love Caroline:

"Gregory nodded, smiling in clear relief. "I have no better friend than you, and it irks me to see you ruin your own happiness," he said quietly. "You are fortunate to have such happiness, too. Some of us have to scramble for your scraps, Darcy."

By Darcy's "scraps," I think he met Caroline.

I have been busy this summer-- and not made much time for my on-line reading... but when I checked in to see what might have been posted lately, what a great treat to find Chapt 31. Delicious! and as always, so well written. I would love this in book form. Even if the characters' names were all changed -- and it wasn't a D&E story -- this could stand on it's own. (That is supposed to be a compliment-- I hope it is accepted that way!) Love it! It's one of my all time favorites.

Lacy

"Elizabeth, you still know nothing of love."

She glared at him, but said nothing, realizing that perhaps, he was not merely speaking of Lord Gregory.

Whatever does he mean?

Elizabeth assumes that if Gregory knows Caroline Bingley is--or, was--in love with Darcy, that Gregory could then not love Caroline. But we don't always love the person who loves us--or, stop loving someone simply because he or she does not love back. How many people would take the person they love, even knowing the love is unrequited?

Darcy has struggled with this truth during his long separation from Elizabeth. Had he an inkling of how much she loved him, can we doubt he would gone back to her and begged her to return, Wickham or no? Well, maybe not immediately while Darcy was still in the fresh grip of anger, but once it cooled and he was left with his misery of missing Elizabeth desperately? But, he thought she didn't want him--sounds a bit like Bingley in canon, but Darcy wound himself in this quandary--with an assist from Elizabeth, who was in her own private hell.

And now, even when she is back and is everything accommodating in accepting and returning his attentions, he does not assume she loves him. Although he knows he loves her--the scene of him refraining from interrupting her play her music makes it abundantly clear he knows his own heart. But he doesn't know Elizabeth's.

What a nice surprise for them both to find it's MORE than having sworn life long fidelity AND greatly enjoying each other physically. That is a lot, but they really love each other, too. I wonder who will confess that emotion first?

Or, am I wrong? Does it really need to be said at this point?

What a wonderful surprise this update is! It's been quite awhile since i swinged by Mrs Darcy...very happy to see Tanya's update to this great story. I'm glad that the couple are opening up to each other now...hope they will not muddle up again and stick together to face whatever problems (Wickham??) coming their way. Look forward to the next instalment and thanks again for this great story, Tanya!

1 2 3 4