Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Regency Encyclopedia - New Fashion Gallery 9/21/09

Attention Regency Era Fashionistas!

The Regency Encyclopedia has a new module, Fashion Images. When you click on this link, you’ll see a search screen to access the database of almost 1,200 images dating from 1800 to 1829.

You may search on any combination of publication, year, type of dress and male/female/child. Once you have selected the search criteria, there will be a screen display of thumbnail images that match your search criteria. Click on any of the thumbnails to pull up a larger image and if we’ve found it, the original text accompanying the picture.

You’ll notice when the larger image is displayed, some of the text is underlined. Roll over the word and you’ll see a brief definition popup.

A couple of things to remember:

1. We’ve provided a rudimentary glossary of terms to accompany the fashion prints but fabrics like velvet, satin, tulle, chenille etc. that are still in use today, have not been defined. Please leave me a note in the suggestion box if this proves to be problematic and if I get a large enough response, I will include them in the glossary.

2. Since we’ve included the original text as much as possible, please be aware that spelling had not been standardized and some words are just spelled differently then. For example, you’ll see both the word ribbon and ribband used and most times the word scalloped is spelled scolloped.

3. The fashion print texts are very thorough in that they describe elements of the outfit not visible in the print. This happens a lot when the print shows someone wearing a pelisse or spencer or other forms of outerwear.

As always, this module is a work in progress. If anyone wants to contribute to the image file or has a book with fashion definitions, please leave me a message in the suggestion box.

A huge thank you must go to Heather F (quill) who has been collecting these fashion prints for the last two years. If I was stunned by the amount of research she did on the names module, I’m positively awed by the number and quality of the images she provided. Thank you for your contributions and great ideas. Another big thank you goes to Victoria who found the time to program this in the midst of revamping her entire website. Thank you for your patience and skill.

Re: Regency Encyclopedia - New Fashion Gallery 9/21/09

Fabulous, Sue, thanks for the info! You're doing an amazing job.

For those who aren't familiar with the Regency Encyclopedia, you'll find the link to it and login here

Re: Regency Encyclopedia - New Fashion Gallery 9/21/09

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that when you search on reticules, no records are being pulled up. This is now corrected so that the criteria display will show all records with a mention of reticules/ridicules in the text or there is one shown in the fashion print.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Sue