Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jan H - The Child

What excellent, excellent news! When Jan H. mentioned she had a new story in the oven I didn't expect to have the change of reading it so soon. And it's also refreshing to find a story from Darcy's p. of v., which is not so very common.

So exciting!!!

Oh a new story, thank you so much Jan H. It had been so quite for a while around here.
I love the story and hope you will post again very soon.

Thank you, Lili, Irene, MAB, Geri, Sue, Gio, Vesna, Rori, and Pausiniken! Your comments are so helpful to keep me writing - they're like mini-muses.

I'm trying not to be dubbed "Queen of Angst" again with this story, but Darcy does have a long way to go. He thinks he's changed but, like a lot of men, he really doesn't have a clue.

Thank you for giving us another one of your wonderful stories. I can't wait for the next instalment.
What a start you gave me, thinking Darcy was married; nearly gave me a heart attack. But I can relax now and enjoy the rest of the story.
Have any of your stories ever come out in book form? I certainly would buy them.
Regards.

Darcy does indeed deserves a bit of a rough go for having so little confidence in Elizabeth, and for believing Caroline!

Sounds like Mary is lucky for finding a husband, and a clergyman at that, given the family's circumstances. It will be fun to watch Darcy struggle with himself over such a connection -- maybe he *has* learned something since Huntsford? Will he manage to make it through to an understanding with Elizabeth without completely insulting her again? Or will he realize the truth about the child in conversation with her and then recover before sticking his foot in his mouth? I don't see you letting him off that easy, that would get us to far too quick of a resolution!

I'm curious whether we will discover what Elizabeth is thinking. But the Darcy POV is intriguing and well done.

Thanks Jan for such a delightful way for me to start the week. I can't wait to read what you have in store for your characters (and us). I love your stories, your prose flows well and is always enjoyable, and you are skilled at creating and extending the tension that drives so many good works of JAFF. Looking forward to the next installments...

Jan H
I'm trying not to be dubbed "Queen of Angst" again with this story, but Darcy does have a long way to go. He thinks he's changed but, like a lot of men, he really doesn't have a clue.

Now that sounds like the Darcy we all love to smack up the side of the head!!! LOL! Sometimes with a very big stick!!!

I've got my chocolate and Baileys and margaritas so bring on the angst....I'm ready for it!! Love your stories and am just so excited to see a new one.

Dear Jan,

It is so good to have a new story from you! Thanks!

I enjoyed the beginning of The Child very much and I am looking forward to the rest of the book. And although I am dreading it the return of Wickham.

Thank you Nicole, Beta, Astrid, Maria, and dear Sandy (fortified with drinks and chocolate ) for reading my story and taking the time to comment.

Nicole, you and I agree on dreading Wickham's return. Astrid, you're right about missing out on Elizabeth's thinking when I write from the first person viewpoint. Makes me have to work harder to reveal her thoughts. And no, Maria, none of my stories have been published as books, but thanks for asking.

I'm hooked! But then again, I expected to be. I have been so looking forward to when you would start posting. Very happy to see a new story from one of my favorite authors! I can't wait for more!

I haven't even taken the time to start reading yet (shame on me, I'll try to post a proper review once I've read the chapters) but I wanted to tell Jan how excited I am to see a new story! I've had the page bookmarked for a few years, periodically checking back, and I've got the existing stories copied to my Kindle so I can read them whenever I want!

Chapter three has been posted, my dears. Enjoy!

Holy cow! Bingley's breaking Jane's heart while Darcy is finding out the truth.

Irene
GRC

Anguish! Anguish from beginning to end! But you know what? I'm inordinately happy that the truth about the child is out already, when I was preparing myself for a long ride of angst for Darcy about it. Not that the man is any merrier, though, but the shock of the disclosure is still too recent.
What drives me crazy is the way they always take the blame! But, hey, they wouldn't be our same beloved characters if they didn't, would they?

Needless to say, I loved the update! (I've been checking the website like a possessed during the last few days, all in anticipation )

Bingley, in my book, is fast becoming a rake! This makes twice he has paid Jane marked attention then leaves. And what's worse is the fact that he feels himself so noble by leaving so his sister can make a good marriage! Fool!! He hasn't figured out that Caroline only wants Darcy so she won't accept anyone else no matter what he does!

If he only knew the lies his sister sent in her letter to Jane and what she did to stop him from having a good marriage....and then the lies she deliberately told to Darcy to make him think it was Elizabeth's baby. And Darcy is stupid enough to believe her! He's an even bigger fool!

Just who is supplying Caroline with her information. She deliberately didn't send word of what was happening to the Bennets, even though she knew, and now she is insinuating all sorts of things about Elizabeth and I'm certain that she knows exactly who the baby's mother is! Witch!!!

And Darcy...to believe Caroline enough to accuse Elizabeth of such behavior! She was right to let him have it when she saw him. Their lives might have been better if he had confessed everything to Bingley but no...he only thought of himself and then ran away and took Bingley with him.

And his behavior...

I saw the lovely view that the bodice of her dress provided. Motherhood certainly had not altered her figure, for it pleased me even more than before. In truth, one could not tell that she had ever given birth.

I wanted to smack him for his wicked thoughts. Still the haughty, arrogant man comes through...he thinks only of himself and how her figure pleased him. Bah!!!

I'm actually glad he now has his guilt to keep him company! It certainly brought him down off his high horse a bit! And what will he think when he realizes how much his own promptings have played in Bingley abandoning Jane, again?

Well, I'm hoping that Jane finds a good man (not named Bingley), and Caroline falls flat on her pointy nose (preferably in the mud), and takes her rakish brother with her.

Boy..these guys really got my dander up! I can't wait to see how thing progress from here...now that they plan to run away...again! Fools and Cowards!

Right now, these two don't deserve any of the Bennet sisters. Give me more, Jan!!! I love your stories and this on is going to be another favorite, I can tell. Weave your magic and bring our couple together...though how you're going to do it, I have no idea!!!

I totally agree w/Sandy on the Jane/Bingley situation. I think Jane deserves so much more than Bingley. What will he do when he finds out all that Caroline has done and said, will he dis-own her, I surely would. She is evil of the worse kind. First hiding that Jane was in London and then portraying Elizabeth as a fallen woman who brought her own family to such a lowness. She doesn't deserve to be married to any gentlemen that would have her.

And shame on Darcy, it is as if he hasn't learned anything. Now what we he do w/his absense to Elizabeth, please don't tell me he will go and look for Wickham after all this time. You would not dare subject that baby to such a father. Or will he make a false wedding contract between Wickham & Lydia - I think it is a little too late.
I for one do think it was partly Darcy's fault what Wickham did, as a gentleman of standing it was his duty forewarn a town of his debts and the society of his rakish ways. He should feel guilt and I hope he does to the fullest.
I'm glad Elizabeth let him have it, she should have slapped his face after what he said to her.

How will Darcy ever get out of this one and bring things to right?

I wonder if Bingley will be able to go through with it... For Caroline's sake no less... We shall see, I don't think he'll be able to pull it off

We've got their initial misunderstandings out of the way... so where do we go from here?

Even as misunderstandings (and arrogance) abound, I'm choosing to be hopeful! The Darcy POV here is wonderful Jan - it appropriately accentuates feelings and reactions while staying in character. Looking forward to the next...

Bingley is ready to leave Jane again, she deserves better.
What Darcy will do now when he knows the truth?
He abruptly abandoning her, poor Elizabeth.

Loved the 3° chapter Jan H.

I hope Bingley didn't have the courage to tell Jane the bad news and Darcy informs him of the idenity of the childs mother.

I think Jane deserves better treatment than that as does Elisabeth.

Can't wait for the next chapter to appear.

Well, well, Jan...what a chapter!

At first I got upset at Elizabeth. I thought that she jumped the gun getting all riled up towards Darcy without provocation, as if she was extremely mad at him. I believed she had forgiven him for Hunsford.

Then my ire turned towards Darcy and Bingley. I agree w/ Sandy, both are fools and cowards. Bingley is certainly a rake; played w/ Jane then left her, then do the same thing all over again. Ha! What a jerk...and he feels he needs to explain himself. If I were Jane, I would slap him hard and kick his butt out of town.

And don't get me started w/ Darcy. Definitely an arrogant fool. Checking her out 'how good she looks' then thinking she is not good enough to marry. Then, questioning her on 'how could she elope w/ Wickham?' speech. Fool and stupid is what he is to believe a shrew like Carolina. Believing Caroline?? Pleaaasse!!

Guess both deserve to suffer. Jan, how are you going to fix this, I have nooooo idea.

Great chapter, full of emotional upheaval..

I am totally immersed in another JanH story! I love a Darcy pov, which is so rare. Now that they each have their misconceptions cleared up, what's next?

Darcy's leaving after Lizzy's disclosure is definitely giving her the wrong impression, just like in canon! But what can he do to remedy such a situation?

Bingley is such an ass! Twice deserting Jane after paying her too much attention. She's better off without him, though it will break her heart when he left, again :(

More please!

Thank you, everyone! I truly do appreciate every comment, and I share your frustration with Darcy and Bingley. They do have a way to go.

Special thanks to those of you who left long, in-depth replies. I love to see your passion for these characters. And for those who are commenting at more than one site - you deserve a halo!

-Jan

Oh break my heart/Lizzy's heart. I am eager to see what Darcy does next. The worst thing about Regency times is that woman can't really do anything.

Enjoying the story very much and am look forward to more.
Geri

I loved how Darcy's choices shaped the future. Not meeting Elizabeth at Pemberley changed everything. It remains to be seen how Darcy feels now that he knows that the baby was Lydia's. The Bennets are still ruined. Is Wickham gone from the story? I expect him to come back to cause more havoc.

Excellent chapter. I just want to see where you lead us, Jan. I know I will not be disappointed with any direction you choose!

Hi, Geri and Lucy! I appreciate your comments, especially the fact that women were so hampered from doing anything in Regency times. It's like they have to wait for life to happen to them. And Lucy, you're seeing exactly what I was struck by when I first thought of this story - how different everything would have turned out if Darcy and Elizabeth had never met at Pemberley. I'm afraid Darcy's future choices will have even more consequences, and watch out for Wickham.

I'm loving the story so far. I'm a big fan of your other stories and look forward to following this one. Thanks so much for taking the time to entertain all of us JA fanatics!

Finally, Jan, I have been able to sit down with a hot drink and some chocolate and immerse myself in the wonderful story you are creating. As you know, I am a huge fan of your writing and the stories that you craft, and I am delighted that you are posting a new one here at Mrs Darcy's.

My first reaction upon starting to read? Woo hoo, it's from Darcy's point of view!!! I LOVE it! And I love that we are a few years down the line rather than 'attached' to the original story in terms of timescale.

Another thing that I also loved (I will be using the "L" word a lot!) was that the story of P&P did in effect continue from Elizabeth's perspective, and it did not alter its path until Darcy's absence came into play. The consequences as we can see are profound and disastrous.

I also loved the misunderstanding that they both laboured under at first - Darcy married, Elizabeth bearing Wickham's child - how realistic, for we all make those sort of assumptions, jump to conclusions, let our minds deceive us - very natural in the circumstances, and I adored their reactions to revealing the truth - a jealous Elizabeth in a strop, and then Darcy actually calling her "Elizabeth" to her face when he discovers the truth!

I hate the fact that Wickham is lurking out there...

And I had been thinking, here's our sweet, loveable Bingley:

"waiting with such impatience for the servant to announce him that he almost ran over the man upon entering my study"

"he had perfected the art of fidgeting"

"looked like a starving dog that had been thrown a haunch of venison"

Wonderful descriptions, and then the bounder decides to back off from Jane AGAIN! What is he about???? Jan, you have to talk some sense into that man (but great twist!)

Sigh. Sorry at being late to get here, but thankfully I got to read 3 chapters at once - result! Looking forward very much to reading more each week.

As expected, this story has all the signs of being yet another Jan H classic, with a beautifully emerging plot, perfect characterisations and lovely dialogue. What a lovely way to spend Sunday afternoon; thank you so much, Jan.

Sandra P

Thank you Jessi and Sandra! I'm so glad you're reading my story, and I appreciate your comments. Sandra, you're a dear for writing such nice, long messages.

My dears, a chapter you've been anxiously waiting for : enjoy chapter four of Jan H's fabulous The Child!

I just loved the story so far! Thank you!!!

Oh Jan...I started writing my comments as I was reading and here they are:

The child had to be removed from Longbourn, and that involved Wickham!

If I could force Wickham to acknowledge the child, remove her from the Bennets' house, and place her in a suitable position, I would assume the expense, and Elizabeth's family need never know my part in the scheme.
And this is your decision to make? Why, pray tell?

Would the Bennets release Fan to her father? Well, why should they not? Her presence was a burden and humiliation.
No, they wouldn’t! What if after your father died, someone else came in and took Georgiana away from you so you could marry well since then you wouldn’t have the 'burden' of your sister to look after?

"I could not do it, Darcy. One look in Jane's beautiful eyes and I was as lost as ever. I love her, and to speak words that would cause her pain! I was simply unable to tell her that I shall not return."
I actually cheered Bingley! He may yet be their salvation...not Darcy!

"No, you do not, for your will is your own. You shall do what you determine is best, just as I do."
Oh sure, now you say that! The Bennets might not be in this situation if you had said from the beginning!

Would I have been wiser to consider stepping in and offering marriage to Caroline?
Yes, for this is by far the first intelligent statement you have made. Please do for she is all that you deserve!

but the memory of Elizabeth's condemnation refused to vacate my mind. I downed another brandy
Go ahead Darcy...believe what you want and drink all you want...look at Hurst...marry Caroline and live the life he does!

Why did Caroline dislike Elizabeth as she did?
Good Lord...he really is dense!

We shall do perfectly well on our own."
That should have been a big clue if he was even listening to her!!

I had retreated to a corner to nurse my snifter of brandy.
Ahhh...lookin closer to Hurst all the time!

He had destroyed my greatest hopes for happiness.
Darcy has learned nothing all this time. He doesn’t tell anyone about Wickham, he removes Bingley from Jane, he finds out Jane did have feelings for Bingley so then he runs away and takes Bingley away with him and doesn't tell Bingley a thing. And then comes back to find chaos and decides to believe Caroline’s lies (she’s good at that), once again not finding out the truth before making a determination.

This is such an arrogant, self-centered, and despicable Darcy and I’m so looking forward to the day that someone smacks him up beside the head with a 2x4 no 4x4 and he suddenly has that ‘ahha’ moment! In the meantime, he is going to bring even more destruction to the Bennet family.

So, is Bingley going to be a better man and actually marry Jane and they can raise Fan and push Darcy back to his Pemberley to stay with some society woman he married for convenience who will spend his money and run his name and estate in the ground? Oh...I actually like that idea!!
Sometimes you have to sink to the deepest depths before you can begin to crawl your way back...how much further can this Darcy sink?

I know this is long Jan but I absolutely am so caught up in your story and it is so well written! This is going to be a long journey for Darcy, I can see...and it all centers on a child! Thank you so much and I eagerly await next Monday!

Did he learn anything? He is arrogant idiot, he just gave a powerful weapon to that... Wickham.

Your writing is so good.

What is Darcy thinking? Apparently not much! I can't wait for Lizzy to lay into him for his continuing arrogance. Selfish disdain for the feelings of others indeed!

Irene
GRC

Comment originally posted by Christine:

"Oh happy day! I have been trying to get in to read this for a couple of days now-- and for whatever reason, everything kept freezing up. Thank heavens! Can you imagine my how crazy with anxiety I have been knowing there was a new JanH story and I had yet to read it?!

By the way JanH-- were you aware of the writing contest that LaurelAnn at AustenProse is sponsoring? The winner will be published in an anthology w/authors like Syrie James, Stephanie Barron, Amanda Grange, etc -- by ballantine Books. Here is the info-- I thought of you when I saw this new story-- now that I know you are writing again, maybe you can write something for the Feb13 deadline! http://www.pemberley.com/JAMMDI/JAMMDI.html

So happy you are writing again. Happy day indeed!"

OMG!!!!! DARCY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??

Does he realize the chaos he just started by finding Wickham and telling him about the child? Guess not!OMG!!! I cannot believe he had the gall to do that? Who died and made him 'God'? Ohh, that's right..he appointed himself 'God Almighty' who knows 'what is best for everyone'.

I was going to point out some of the lines that struck me the most but Sandy did better than I would do, sooo I'll just DITTO to everything she said.

What was I thinking?

I'm sure Darcy will be repeating that over and over. He really need some serious banging on the head!! The consequences of his actions will be devastating for the Bennet Family. What makes him think the child is burden to the Bennets? What would have happened if somebody tried to take Georgiana away from him if they perceived she was a burden to him?

Arrogant.. Presumptious.. Stupid.. Obtuse... Blind.. Irresponsible.. Interference... This is what comes to my mind when I think of Darcy. How will he ever redeem himself after what he has done? Whatever comes his way, he will surely deserve it! I think he just placed the final nail in his coffin...

He had destroyed my greatest hopes for happiness.

Nooo, Darcy himself is solely responsible for destroying whatever happiness he could have had...

Jan, such a 'I don't know exactly what to call' Darcy you have created here. He frustates me to no end. I cannot wait to see how you get him out of this mess! Excellent as always .

BTW, Bingley 1, Darcy -2!

What! You mean to say you think this Darcy is wrong? You know the old saying about how the mighty are fallen - well, my Darcy is digging himself a deep pit.

Thank you Renee, Malena, Sandy!, Vesna, Irene, Christine, and Lili, for all your comments. Sandy, I got your message loud and clear - LOL. And Christine, thank you for telling me about the contest at AustenProse. I doubt that I've got time to write anything by the deadline, but I'll take a look at it.

Hang in there with me. This is going to be a rough ride.

That was so much fun! I just know that Elizabeth is going to be soooooangry at Darcy for his presumption. I cannot wait to see her lay into him!

OMG! I cant believe a new story...FINALLY!!! And it is greatness so far! Cant wait for more. You have made my day!!!

btw, I cant remember but if I am correct, dont you usually write in Elizabeth's POV?! Love how it's in Darcy's this time!!!

Thank you Jan for this new story!!!!
I love all your stories and this one, in Mr Darcy POV seems to begin very well!!
Oh I can't wait another week for the next chapter!
Thanks again for brighten up my week!!

Hmm...I'm not sure if Darcy's decision to help in the Wickham's situation will be any good, as I am quite sure that the Bennets are very attached to the child. But at least he asking the ladies for a dance at the ball is helping :)

Thankfully Bingley hasn't bail out yet! But we'll have to wait and see of course ;)

Thanks for the update

I believe Darcy is acting according to his time. You can see that his plans regarding the child are very similar to what Austen describes in Emma with Emma's friend. She is being raised at a school but believed to be the daughter of a rich man and his mistress. I see no wrong in that.

You could always take a chapter or two of something you have previously posted and condense it (like a teaser)to fit the perameters. Do say you will try to enter!!!!!! What a great way to bring attention to your body of work!

Wow Jan, it sounds like Darcy has a long way to go here.
He takes it into his own hands that he's the one that needs to decide after 2 years what to do about Lydia and Wickham's babe???

Yeah, I say there's a lot more angst to come. First of all why would he even think any of the Bennets would want to see Wickham ever again, and second why would he want to even include Wickham in their life. Sounds like his 'pride' is not quite in check.

I wonder what Georgiana would have to say about what he's doing. Would she question him on if she was the one to have the babe if he would be so readily to have it gone, to give it up?

Well, I will await patiently to find out your answers.
Very much enjoying the story!

Thank you for your comments, Lucy, Mixon, Gio, Malena, and Teb! And hi, KayakChick! Glad to see you again. I do understand the distress Darcy is causing some of you, and Malena, I appreciate your saying that Darcy is "acting according to his time." I agree with that statement. We love him, though, and want him to be a better man. Keep your fingers crossed.

Well, I got interrupted and forgot to finish my message. Christina, thank you for your continuous encouragement! I looked at the guidelines for entries at AustenProse's contest, and since the deadline is very, very soon, I just simply don't have time to put something together for it. I write slowly, and short stories require a lot of attention. But I appreciate your thinking of me. Maybe next time.

Chapter 5 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

What a twist! Wickham proposed to Lizzy! Now Darcy is truly caught in his own game. Can't wait to see what great idea he can come up with!

Gio
What a twist! Wickham proposed to Lizzy! Now Darcy is truly caught in his own game. Can't wait to see what great idea he can come up with!

Good Gracious, what a mess Darcy has made of it. He is truly caught in his own game. I can not believe him to be so stupid. But Jan H, I love your story. Love this Lizzy and will be very curious to learn how she will trust this 'messy' Darcy.

Darcy keeps digging his own hole deeper and deeper.
Wickham has turned the table on him.
"Give me till the morrow"!

Irene
GRC

1 2 3 4 5 6 7