Return to Website

My-Malta-dotcom'munty Forum

My-Malta-dotcom'munty Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colin McColl - RAF Officer - Malta - World War 2

I am trying to trace any information on my Uncle Colin. He served as an officer with the RAF and was lost (shotdown). I am unaware of the date. He was a Scot and came from Ballachulish in Argylshire.I am led to believe that his name is on a (RAF) memorial cross somewhere in Malta.I appreciate that this information is minimal to say the least, however I would be extremely grateful if anyone out there can assist.

Regards,

Ian Campbell

Re: Colin McColl - RAF Officer - Malta - World War 2

Ian

You've probably had replies by now to help you trace your uncle's memorial, but in case you're still looking here's my offering.

Go to the Commonwealth War Graves site (cwgc.org) and in the Debt of Honour panel (top right-hand side) take the following path: select option "Cemeteries" - type in "Malta" - choose "Malta Memorial" - then "Cemetery Reports" -select "M-O" and finally you'll see your uncle's details 5th on the list. (Doing a Casualty search with his name doesn't bring any results, but given the numbers of casualties on their register CWGC is probably still knee-deep in cross-referencing.)

Details shown for your uncle are:

MacCOLL, COLIN CAMPBELL Pilot Officer 134513 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 46 Sqdn. Died 18/12/1942 aged 24. Malta Memorial reference: Panel 3, Column 1.

If you double-click on your uncle's name you'll get the following family information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. D. MacColl, of Ballachulish, Argyllshire; husband of Ruby Phillips Parker MacColl, of Stranraer, Wigtownshire.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Glenice