Return to Website

My-Malta-dotcom'munty Forum

My-Malta-dotcom'munty Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Congreve

General Sir Walter N. Congreve is said to have been a charismatic person who, despite a largely uneventful governorship here, was immensely loved by the Maltese people.

It is said that some 20,000 paid their last respects as he lay in state at S. Paul's Anglican church at Valletta. A photo depicting the unveiling of his Monument (between which point and the isle of Filfla his body was laid to rest at sea off the coast of Qrendi -- in the limits of Zurrieq -- near his beloved Mnajdra & Hagar Qim temples) shows a number of Boy Scouts. They, as well as the Girl Guides, enjoyed the governor's patronage.

Something about his generosity and gentleness could be read in the book entitled: Governors of Malta (details on request) which mentions:

a) His gift of 10 shillings to a young man off whom he had bought an ink drawing (costing half a pound) upon learning that he had turned 21 that day, and

b) His last words to his nurse from his deathbed: "I know I am going to die today, for you have not thought it necessary to wash me."

The whole nation mourned the death of this great statesman whose love for Malta was certainly greater than that of a lot of her own children.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am currently researching a book about VC winners with a link to Cheshire in England. I have a particular interest in Walter and William Congreve since they have connections with the village of Burton where I currently live. Steve Borg's article 'of gun's and roses' contained much interesting information regarding Walter Congreve.

Does anyone have Mr Borg's email address with the hope he can

contact me to discuss Generals Congreve's impact on Malta.

Gary Smailes