My-Malta-dotcom'munty Forum

My-Malta-dotcom'munty Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: R.A.F. 137 MU in Malta 1944 - 1947

Hi Bill,
Just read your message, and thought I would let you know that my Father who will be Ninety years old this August and still very sprightly.Was stationed at 137 MU Malta between 1944 - 1946, he was at the time Flt.Lt.Jack Cornelius, Chief Inspection Officer in charge of all A.I.S Inspectors at Kalafrana, Safi,& Tal Handaq. You might also remember a Rhodesian friend of his a Flt.Lt Buck Shone and Perhaps even the then C.O.of 137 MU,Group Captain Peter Bathirst.
Best Wishes
Tony

Re: Re: R.A.F. 137 MU in Malta 1944 - 1947

Hi Bill,
I'm glad you were pleased to have made contact after all those years of trying,you must have wondered if you ever would.
I have printed out a copy of your message, which I will give to my Father when I visit him next Friday 2/2/2007.
I know he will be very pleased to hear from you.He still keeps in touch with a friend of his,who like yourself lives in Australia or maybe New Zealand I'm not quite sure.I know he uses a Computer,which Dad thinks is amazing because they are about the same age,and Dad does'nt trust Computers I'm afraid he still prefers Pen & Ink.
I look forward to receiving the list of Officers you mentioned as I'm sure they will bring back a lot of memories for Dad,and I'm sure Dad will be able to help you with Mr Grimshaw's first name.If so I will let you know.As for the pics,if he has any I will e-mail them to you Post Haste.
Until the next time Bill,Keep healthy.
Best Wishes
Tony.

PS. If you visit the web address below,and go to the message board,You might find something of interest.

http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Malta%20WWII/Index.htm

Re: R.A.F. 137 MU in Malta 1944 - 1947

Hi Tony
Well, at last I made contact with someone. This is great. Been trying over the past 8 yrs.

Glad to learn your dear Dad is with us and well.

I shall contact you direct. Briefly, before I worked at the Orderly Room Tal Handaq I was a Page Boy at the Officers Mess Kalafrana. That is where I knew your Dad. He was a nice looking man, and fairly tall.
I only worked as a Page Boy for about 8 months. Flt Lt Shone of Sth Rhodesia took me to work in his Office at Tal Handaq. I remember him very well. I'm sure your Dad would remember the 2 Page Boys at the Mess.

One of his mates was Sqd. Leader Grimshaw who wore an Aussie uniform. It was him who helped me get the job at Tal Handaq. I have been trying to make contact with Mr Grimshaw's family, but I do not know his first name. Maybe you Dad can remember. I think / just guessing that Mr Grimshaw was an Englishman and happened to join the RAAF in Aust c1941. Just my thinking. From memory, I think Mr Grimshaw was a bit older then your Dad

I shall send you a list of all the Officers that I still remember.

Say Hello to your Dad and ask him if he has any pics of those days.

Best regards. Bill