The HEAL Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message. Messages containing verbal attacks or threats to other people posting or to HEAL itself will be deleted immediately.  If you are looking for a behavior modification industry survivor forum, please visit: http://heal-online.org/tinc?key=aOvhgoOX&start=-1&reverse=1  Thanks!

Considering the real-time nature of the message board(s), Human Earth Animal Liberation (HEAL) cannot review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. We do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages, are not responsible for any messages posted, do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of the Administrators or any entity or individual associated with HEAL. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact the Administrators immediately by email at info@heal-online.org. The Website Administrators may in its discretion remove such material, but neither the removal nor the failure to do so shall result in liability to anyone. Because removal is a manual process, removal or editing particular messages may not occur immediately.   Although the Administrators do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, they reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold the Website harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

The HEAL Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any good RTCs or therapeutic schools out there?

Dear Angela,
Perhaps you did not understand my question. I was not asking for your opinion on the programs overall but wanted to get other parents recommendations for any good programs out there. Seems like the reason that there are none at this forum is because you attack anybody who disagrees with your 'party line'. Seems ironic for a freedom fighter, don't you think? Oh, well, not the first time in history... There was a country once that pronounced that their major focus is fight for freedom of its people (Soviet Union). I was misfortunate to be on of those people. We were all free to talk about anything that agreed with government policies, but if you dare disagree... Luckily even though you have the same approach as that communist government, you don't have the same power.
I have no doubt that there terrible and abusive programs out there and bringing the light to that is desperately needed and honorable thing. At the same time I am sure there are good and safe ones. I have a great experience with Elements wilderness, my son said that he was grateful to them for all they taught him in spite of a hardship of being in wilderness and following rules. I also saw my son almost die at home due to drugs he used, and I was completely powerless to protect him because of his complete disobedience.

Dear "Terrified Parent",

I'm sorry you felt "attacked" by a message that simply explained that institutionalizing children is illegal, unethical, and a form of abuse. That's all true and supported by the facts.

I believe you are not legitimately seeking assistance or feedback and are trying to find support for your own awful choices in regards to your family with your post.

Instead of looking at the facts and being reasonable, you react emotionally and made demands on others that owe you nothing. This is clearly an attitude that has caused problems in your family and something you should get mental help to address instead of scapegoating your son and sending him to a modern day orphan asylum.

The number of children placed in residential treatment centers (or RTCs)1 is growing exponentially.2 These modern-day orphanages now house over 50,000 children nationwide.3 Children are packed off to RTCs, often sent by officials whom they have never met and who have probably never spoken to their parents, teachers or social workers.4 Once placed, these kids may have no meaningful contact with their families or friends for up to two years.5 And, despite many
documented cases of physical and sexual abuse and neglect, monitoring is inadequate to ensure that children are safe, healthy and receiving proper services in RTCs.6 Source: http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=D5NL7igV_CA%3D&tabid=247

You are privately making your child an orphan by doing this. If you want to destroy your relationship with your child and end up in an abusive residential nursing home when you are elderly, by all means keep this up.

But, I think based on your response claiming sharing information and facts equate to an "attack" show that you are not a legitimate parent with a legitimate inquiry, but, a troll seeking to create drama on a forum that is run by a victim's rights organization. Go troll somewhere else.

Sincerely,

Angela Smith
HEAL Coordinator

Dear Vita Droutman PhD,

Isn't it interesting that a psychologist who should be or claims to be an expert in human behavior can't even raise and love their own child at home?

Isn't it interesting that you as a shill for the troubled teen industry are posting on a victim's rights board with your attacks and nonsense while promoting the notion of a "good program" when such doesn't exist and you of all people should know how devastating institutionalization is to individuals.

Basically, you experiment on and report back your findings regarding at risk adolescents.

"Research has established that mindfulness
training improves attention and emotion
regulation. A separate line of work on risky
decision making in adolescence has identified
increased emotional reactivity as a key
cause of risk taking during this period. We
hypothesize that since mindfulness training
can decrease or help regulate emotional reactivity,
its practice may lead to reduced risk
taking by adolescents. The present study
examined the effect of short mindfulness
practice on risk taking in older adolescents."

Source: Vita Droutman, PhD http://www.mindandlife.org/email/ISCS2014_Program_Schedule.pdf

"Social Exclusion Leads to Reduced Risk Taking: by Vita Droutman This work examines the effect of social exclusion on risky decision-making and explores neural components responsible for this effect. It suggest that social exclusion leads to less risk taking and that activation of the insular cortex may mediate between social deprivation and risk preference."

Source: https://ww4.aievolution.com/hbm1501/index.cfm?do=abs.viewAbs&abs=1465

You are a behaviorist who cares more about control than human rights. You experiment on youth and support social deprivation which is psychologically harmful. Someone with your credentials and associations doesn't require any assistance from HEAL and that just proves we are right. You are a troll and not welcome to post on our forum. If you continue to do so, you do so at your own risk. This is an unmoderated forum and you may receive attention you do not like from those not as professional as myself.

Sincerely,

Angela Smith
HEAL Coordinator