Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Have an urgent question about ff stories, ff sites, ff authors...?

Hi Renee!

I'm reading "The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy" by sarapencil. She's written a couple of NBs to compliment the main story, and I enjoyed them so much I went looking for it.

It's got HMS, angst, reconciliations and one of the better supporting characters I've ever seen. His name is Lou, and he's a hoot! Plus Caroline is more a real person and not the 2-dimensional witch you sometimes see in fanfic.

Unfortunately the site is having connection issues again today, but hopefully that'll be fixed soon.

Ah, I know Sarahpencil. TY for the information, Melissa. Haven't read hers, at least not entirely, but I know she posts at A Happier Alternative as well. I believe the stories over there aren't accessible at the moment. They will be converted to Austeninterlude eventually.

Hey Melissa, I just finished the Judge Darcy story some wks back too! Like you, i started from the 2 short stories and then went to read the long version. Great stuff and i enjoyed it tremenduously. When I have more time on hand, i'll have to search sarapencil's other stories!

Is Abigail Reynolds writing anything new now

I know she has been quite busy getting her work published and working with a publisher of late -- but does anyone know if she has anything else in the works? I buy all her books. And re-read often.

I don't know, Christina, but I'm sure if you send her an e-mail you'll get your answer swiftly.

You'll find Abigail's e-mail address at
Austen Interlude
, her website.

Actually, Abigail has posted the first chapter of a new Regency story at AHA. It's called Bounds of Decorum and promises to be as great as all her other works.

-Jan

Thanks for the tip, Jan. I checked. It's a teaser so far, which she posted last February. I think I'll wait before reading until she starts posting more.

Anyway else having trouble accessing Hyacinth Gardens?

Must have been a temporary thing, Carol. The HG are accessible.

Thanks, Renée. It's working now for me again.

Trouble accessing HG?

Is it just me or is HG down again? I'm able to get to the welcome page, but the "garden" link delivers an IBP WARNING screen. Thanks!

Indeed, Mimi, it's down again.

But the backup board is not working as well..

Do not despair. All will be well, you'll see...

HG is back up and running!

Not any more. I just tried to log in and got a message that the board is down for upgrades. Only moderators and admin can log in.

But hey, it's progress. Now we know they're fixing thing, and that's a good sign. I'll read Jan H's stories while I wait for it to come back up. :)

Hi! My question isn't technically about ff but about a book, I hope nobody minds that I posted it in this thread:)

I was wondering, has anyone read Karen Joy Fowler's Jane Austen Book Club? I'm currently reading the Finnish translation and at least in my copy Mr. Darcy is referred to as Mark Darcy (which makes me think the author hasn't read P&P at all but rather Bridget Jones' Diary:). Can anyone tell me if the same mistake is in the original or if it is just some weird slip by the Finnish translator? (There are plenty of other little mistakes in the Finnish version, so it would be no wonder)

If however you haven't read the book, don't bother. IMHO it's a rather bad book and reading for instance anything on this site is time much, much better spent:)

Thanks,

Anniina

Hi Anniina!

Actually I bought the book at least 1,5 years ago but so far I didn't read it. I browsed the original superficially, but couldn't find the name Mark. Can you tell me in which chapter approx.?

I will check it out for you then.

In my copy it's on the second page of the prologue (which might have something to do with the fact that I responded so negatively to the rest of the book:)

Shame on the Finnish translator. In the book, it's Mr. Darcy. 'Mark' wouldn't make sense! It's The Jane Austen book club, not the Helen Fielding book club.

Thanks Renée! Shame on the translator indeed, I think she really worsened my opinion about the book by having me think from the very first pages that the author doesn't know her Austen at all. I still can't think too highly of it though, maybe I should read the original to see if something else was lost in translation as well:)

Actually, the editor of the Finnish publishing company is to blame as well. He or she should have seen that.

You're absolutely right, of course. And maybe I'm being too judgmental, everyone makes mistakes and to most people the difference between Fitzwilliam Darcy and Mark Darcy is probably not the most significant thing in the world:)

Yesterday, September the 24th, the average number of visitors increased to 1,846 a day. A record! Mrs. Darcy is overwhelmed by your enthusiasm, dear visitors. Thank you so much for calling on her and her wonderful circle of authors so often!

I don't know where else I can put this, so I'm writing it here.
Dearest Renee! Thank you so much for this site and all your hard work. I'm sure there are so many visitors not only because of all those great stories we can read here, but - most of all - because of this site's great, fabulous, funny, caring Hostess.
SmileyCentral.com

because of this site's great, fabulous, funny, caring Hostess

You made my day, dearest Basia, together with all those 1,846!

I hope to continue this - and in the way I do it with the help of our fabulous authors - for as long as there are fans of PP fanfiction. You are all so worth it, you know. Again, thank you.

May I offer my congratulations to you Renee Thanks for doing all the hard work in maintaining the site and putting up fantastic stories, thus keeping us all very entertained! You don't know how bored my days will be if there's no Mrs Darcy

My aim is but to please, m'dear.

In my copy it's on the second page of the prologue (which might have something to do with the fact that I responded so negatively to the rest of the book
In my copy reads just as in Renne's. "the juicy Mr Darcy..."
I read the book on the plane this *winter/summer(*I was going north so my winter did turn into summer)and I found it quite entertaining...Not much of a Mr Darcy but the young suitor does resemble him in a way...He is reserved and shy and does not show his feelings openly. And the heroine is indeed quite prejudiced with the age difference. So, all in all, I must say I quite enjoyed it, though it is nothing to Austen.

I've read somewhere that a book called " The last man in the world" was previously in on- line form. Anybody have read it ?
Is it still available on- line ?
Thanks !

"Yesterday, September the 24th, the average number of visitors increased to 1,846 a day. A record! Mrs. Darcy is overwhelmed by your enthusiasm, dear visitors. Thank you so much for calling on her and her wonderful circle of authors so often! "

Yeahhhhhhhh Rennee, congratulations and also thank you from the bottom of my heart for this site.....am glad that you readership has soared soo high on my birthday.........yeayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ..looking forward to more of the good days...

Ima

A short while back I posted a message on this thread. I asked to be notified of replies. Now my e-mailinbox is inundated with messages about replies. Help. How do I turn off this function? Thanks!

Margo,
Abigail R has withdrawn all her beautiful stories from the sites. Yet you can buy them through Amazon and Lulu.com. They are all worthy of your purchase. I have read all of them and this one in particular is a delightful experience.

Yet you can buy them through Amazon

For various reasons, obviously, I'd appreciate it if you'd order them at Amazon through Mrs Darcy.

R~

Another record, ladies: yesterday the average increased to 1,907!

FYI: the link to Mrs Darcy's online store...

Ooopps
I mean...you can order them through Mrs Darcy store and at the same time help to keep this lovely site. That wayyou kill two birds with one stone
SmileyCentral.com

Thanks Eli and Renee' !
I've never buy anything on line, well at least till now. I'm consindering though to do it through Mrs Darcy on line store. I suppose i have to get a credit card ??? ( Yes, i'm such a finance ignoramuse !)

Yes. But you can rest assure that it is quite safe. I have made many purchases thorough the site and never regret it!SmileyCentral.com

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems logging into hyacinth gardens?? . . .

Cheryl, the site is closed at the moment. The admins are upgrading it. A little birdie whispered in my ear though that it won't be long anymore.

hi! could you tell me when HG will be back?[:)plssss...

No, sorry, I cannot.

Thanks for the info Renee its good to know!!

I emailed the admins, and they said technical issues are taking longer than they thought. But they're doing the best they can to get it back up.

We will just have to exercise a little bit more patience.

Thanks for the info, Melissa!

Has anyone heard from Tanya about Strange Bedfellows? I dearly miss this story, thanks.

To Anniina about the christian name of Mr. Darcy in the Jane Austen Book Club; (I still don't know how to use quotes );

I have read the English version and the Dutch translation (Reneé O, are you Dutch, too, or did I guess wrong?), and in both versions they refer to Mr. Darcy or to Fitzwilliam Darcy, so I think it is just your translation. Luckily ! Karen Joy Fowler is a Jane Austen expert I believe, for I have seen several copies with a prologue written by her.

It is a great book, I can't wait to watch the movie , has anyone seen it so far?

Greet from a greaaaaaat P&P fan,
Marloes

Reneé O, are you Dutch, too, or did I guess wrong?

I definitely am, m'dear. Welkom, Marloes!

I've only seen a trailer of the movie, and it looked very nice, so I'm lookign forward to it.

please ignore

Please ignore this message. I am just trying to turn off the notification mode. Thanks, carol

Thanks Marloes:) I'm considering re-reading the book in English to see if I'd like it better that way. I got so upset with all the mistakes in the Finnish version (for instance, in addition to calling Mr. Darcy "Mark" there was also a point where Elizabeth Bennet was referred to as Emily Bennet and at one point Sylvia's husband was suddenly called David) that in the end I sent an email to the publishing company and told them that I was most seriously displeased with the way they'd polluted the shades of the Jane Austen Book Club:)

Wow, Emily Bennet That is a very ill mistake, indeed. Haha, you might scare them with that message! They will think you are a reincarnation of Lady Catherine

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10