Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Story recommendations

Found a great story elsewhere? In this thread you can recommend and rave about it.

If you add a link make sure it's the one to the website's main page. Webmasters and mistressess prefer that. From there the story will be easily found. Use the htnl code < a href = "url" > name site < /a > (without spaces!)

For starters...

One of the stories I love and can read over and over again is Rebecca E's "A Most Convenient Mishap".

A delightful comedy of errors in which Elizabeth and Darcy are forced to marry. It's witty, it's sexy, it's intelligent, it's very well written and... it's completed. I'm sure you'll enjoy it tremendously.

Rebecca E posts her stories on her own website "Lavender Girls".

Re: Story recommendations

One of my very favorite P&P fan fiction stories is called "The Muse" and it is found here:

http://meryton.com/jessi/jessi.html

The introduction states:

"Acclaimed choreographer and dance legend William Darcy returns to the Ballet Theater of New York as Choreographer in Residence. Plagued with artist's block, he finds inspiration in a dynamic member of the corps de ballet, Elizabeth Bennet."

It is very well written, takes its time, and is quite funny. Both characters do a lot of growing. The sex scenes are also really hot! :)

I especially like that this Lizzie has wit and spirit. We don't always find that in P&P FF.

Admittedly, I've never read The Muse myself, but I've heard many lovely things about it. Thanks for the recommendation!

This story is also at Firthness.com , I just read it recently and it is definitely one of the best!
High;y recommend it

You can find it in many places apparently . I believe the writer started posting initially at the Hyacinth Gardens, IRRC.

By your recommedations I just finished The Muse and the day before read A Most Inconveniet Mishap. Both great reads. Love this recomendations feature to your site... I am tirelessly keeping track of too many WIPs and just love to read something complete! The Muse inparticular is one of seen posted before but since I'm not a big ballet fan, didn't think I'd be interested. Surprisingly, it is one of my favorite modern stories now! I'd like to recommend Sense and Education (DWG) and Disguise of Every Sort (Meryton Assembly, Austen Interlude Library). Both full of delicious angst and pages of love, tears and finally happy endings.

Over at fanfiction.net, Friends and Lovers (complete) and Life Changes (WIP)both by DarcyDeFirth are low-angst, fun and lovely pieces.

DarcyDeFirth hee hee what a funny alias, and there's no doubt about the actor preference of the author, is there?

Thanks for your recommendations, Christina and Tina!

I have found two stories on fanfiction.net that I like very much:

- Face Down by Greekchic
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3778367/1/Face_Down
In which all the P&P characters are going to Longbourn Highschool. Darcy is the hottest guy in school (of course ) and has made a bet with Bingley; in six months he needs to charm, date and break up with the rebellious Lizzy Bennet. I think you can guess the outcome already

- Childhood Impressions and Mr. Bennets Daughter by Lady Susan
In CI all the characters of P&P already meet during their childhood. Because of that the author has changed the age differences a little; Darcy and Lizzy are only five years apart, about 8 and 13 years old. The story is really fun to read
Mr Bennet's Daughter is a sequel to CI; Lizzy is 16 years old and is having troubles growing up, still pulling pranks at whoever passes by Darcy, however, is already 21 and grown-up already, and fighting his attraction to a certain lady

So, if you are looking for some nice new stories, these could be really nice!

Love, Marloes

These sound lovely too, Marloes. Thanks.

Hi, I dont post very often, shame on me, though I do visit and read re-read some of the finnished work.

When I saw this new thread I just had to put a word in for

The Life and Opinions of Gilroy Hurst, Gentleman. Written by Esther

Which I found at the DWG. It's very funny and what I particually like is that its different, Mr Hurst's opinion being one we dont often hear.

Loving all the recomendations - another excellent thread Mrs Darcy - perfect for those of us who like finnished stories and are searching for inspiration.

LisaJ

Esther's is an oldie and indeed a favourite of many a PP/FF fan, Lisa.

I don't think Esther is still around unfortunately. She posted a wip at the HG called The Poet Darcy, but I don'tthink she has finished it.

"Disenchanted" by KaraM/karasings is a magical Regency complete P&P ff at both DWG and AHA. It's amazing!

Thanks for recommending "The Muse"
I just finished it and I REALLY liked it.

I'm a huge fan of DJ Clawson's Bingley/Darcys/Extended Family series. The original characters just grow with each story, the next generation is introduced and the dialogue all throughout is just fantastic! I highly recommend it.

Laughing Man Productions: DJ Clawson's Darcy's & The Bingley's Series

Alternate Link

One of my favorites scenes (and because it's a rather long series but very worthwhile):

“The post has finally arrived,” he announced, and set it down across from her on the desk. The stack was considerable. Elizabeth looked up and stopped writing as he began to sort it. “Most business letters ... business ... business ... Netherfield.” He passed it to her, and she immediately opened it and went to reading the several-page letter from her sister. “Oh, and Longbourn.”

“Mother’s handwriting or father’s?”

“Mrs. Bennet.”

“Oh,” she said without looking up from her letter. “It must be her monthly inquiry to see if I am yet pregnant. Will you do me the favor of writing her a quick response that I am, and she should stop asking?”

“Anything you – What?”

“Yes,” she said with a nonchalance he thought only he was capable of. “I am with child. This will please her to no end, especially if it is a boy.”

He was stuck in place, holding the letter from Mrs. Bennet, his mouth frozen for some time before he could say, “How long have you known?”

“It was confirmed a few days ago. The nurse who visited briefly?”

He puffed himself up with considerable partially-mocking disgust. “And this is how you chose to tell me?”

“I did deliberate over it for some time about the best way, and then decided that if I am to suffer nearly a year of sore muscles, stomach pains, and ballooning to a bovine, then I should at least have the pleasure of seeing that adorably miffed look upon your face just once more.”

Her voice was perfectly serious and dismissive, the exact way she obviously wanted it, and when he realized the joke was on him, the tension fell away from him and he ran around the room and picked his up his wife, twirling her around. “You will drive me to Bedlam!”

“And then I will have Pemberley and Derbyshire all to myself! My plan all along! Oh no, you have discovered it!” She kissed him. “But please, as much as I do love you holding me, another twirl and I will be ill. Which is your fault.”

I love The Muse soooo much! I read it along time ago, and I think everyone should read it. I am a ballerina myself, and I absolutely adore it!!!

I have to say that "the muse" is definitely my favourite modern ff, no competition. I thought it was absolutely fantastic and still do, after a year of reading many fanfictions, it still remains my all time favourite. :)
My regency favourites are more in number, but I particularly liked, on DWG,
Behind the Scenes
In essentials (much as he ever was) by Vangie and
Overhearing more to the purpose by Sharni

oh and Renee, I agree a Convenient Mishap was one I particularly enjoyed as well.

Does anyone have any OC (original character)drops into P&P world? I'm dieing to read some but at a complete loss from the shear volume of fiction!

And I would adore you if you could point me in the way of a simply MUST READ fanfiction seeing as I haven't read any

As the webmistress of this site, I recommend all stories posted here, Bana, because they all are stories I personally love most dearly. So, why not start with A of Abby and end with T of Tracey? Or vice versa

However, if you have a preference for Regency fics, I'd recommend to start with A, if your interest lies in modern retellings, start with T!

Thanks Renée for this marvelous idea to giving us the oportunity to tell about our favourite stories. I too like to read stories that are, at first finished ( )... and if recommended (specially at your site!!!), I do know they are worth reading...
At the moment I am following up a story, both at HG and AHA, called "And Grace will lead me home" By AshleyD. It is more than the halfway through and very nice to read because also "unusual" and very intelligently written.

One question: is Tracey going to finish her story someday...soon????

One question: is Tracey going to finish her story someday...soon????

I'm sure she will, but sometime sooon... I'm afraid not.

And thanks for the recommendation, Maria!

I just read a really good story called The Beauty of Your Eyes at DWG.

Beware, it's high angst!

Dearest Renee is correct--there are many excellent stories (well, actually they ALL are) right here on this site, but if Bana is looking for original characters, I believe that Victoria's JA Fan Fiction Index has a listing for that criteria. Access the database from Mrs. Darcy's main page.

but if Bana is looking for original characters, I believe that Victoria's JA Fan Fiction Index has a listing for that criteria.

Hee hee how could I not have mentioned this fabulous catalogue! Thanks JG!

There's a link to the login on top of the what's new page, my dears.

Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy by Sara Angelini.You can read this as various sites, check Jane Austen FanFiction but I highly recommend just going out and buying it at Lulu.com Delicious! Believable scenarios with "ahhhs" in all the right places. LOL funny, too. Extremely well-written. Take it from me, I bought at least 70 JA related books in 2007 -- and this is at the top of the stack for modern retellings.

This is also one of my favourite modern P&P fan fic-stories. Not yet finished but so far 77 long chapters to read.

http://darcymania.com/aus/chr/chapters.htm

Rika's An Unexpected Song is already a classic in our fandom, if not legendary, before even finished.

Dear Renée,

should'nt we make a petition and mail it to Rika, to motivate her to finish her story soon?

to motivate her to finish her story soon?

I'm not sure whether Rika and/or her fans actually want it to ever finish. After all don't we read FF because we don't want P&P to ever finish?

However, I can't think of another JA/PP fic having so many chapters even when finished.

Well, Renée, I do like to read the stories till the end. Not that I do not have enough imagination to figure out what comes next (!...), but Rika has her our style and because I do like it, I would love to read how that E&D wedding "looks like" according to her. The story is already 4years old, it is time that E&D get married

What do all other Mrs Darcy fans think about it?

it is time that E&D get married

After four years, indeed I should say so. However, I cannot judge, I don't follow her story. Sorry! But I bet there are many fans of Rika's to be found here.

another story on A.I. is Slurry, by Heatherlynn. I also like One Drunken Night in Vegas, on FF.net. Could use an editor, and the writer is taking her sweet time updating, but the storyline is really interesting!

I've read HL's Slurry years ago, and loved it thoroughly! Perfect recommendation, Sophie. :D

Love and Other Accidents at ff.net is also very good. Paperclipz, the author has only written the one story, but it's well written and novel

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2749813/1/Love_and_Other_Accidents

Recently, I found a treasure trove of completed works at the Meryton Assembly in the Library for Downloadable and Printable Fanfiction. So many great reads there. I found an extremely entertaining modern story by the Six Pack, called something like To Heir Is Human, To Marry is Another Story. Highly amusing, angsty enough, a bit campy but well-worth the time! All I will add is that there is a costume party that is crazy fun!

If you like a good laugh, I have just found in the old files of HG a hilarious short story called: Mrs Jane Darcy. Enjoy!!!

Christina, To Heir Is Human is posted at HG. The PDF is at Jack's page as well as at meryton. Yeah, it's a bit campy, but when you have a group project and some writers are doing there best to screw up the next victum, er writer, things can get crazy. (I should know, I tried very hard to control the other five and was given the name She Who Must Be Obeyed for my efforts, as futile as they were.) I will say that I think To Heir would make a great HBO show/made for TV Movie.

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Thanks for the explanation, LE! I've often wondered but were afraid to ask...

A six persons project, amazing! I've done one with two others, and I'm still surprised that it worked out so well (at least, I think so ) considering the time pressure at the time and the different personalities we are. It was an incredibly inspiring and rewarding experience.

It sure did, Renée!!
I loved it!!!

Linnea Eilleen -- A made for TV movie- would love it! That entire "twin fawns" costume scene, just sticks with me somehow! Lord, bless me... if I were to see it on TV! So delightful! (About your explanation of how the authors were trying to screw up the next in line -- how fun! It just shows how very talented these writers are, because it really ended up flowing well and was a successful story!)

Earlier this week, I recommended Sara Angelini's The Honourable F. Darcy and said it was at Lulu.com. I've since seen it at Amazon, too... You can link there through this website to benefit the maintenance of this site, too! So its a two-fer!

I loved it!!!

TY, Maria!

I've since seen it at Amazon, too... You can link there through this website to benefit the maintenance of this site, too! So its a two-fer!

Indeed, Christina, thank you! Sara's story is very popular, and it's always nice for the fans to have a printed version. More convenient and cozier to take to bed than a pc, right?

Hyacinth Gardens keeps popping up in this thread and i just thought i'd ask, does anyone know whats going on with this site? i've been trying to register for the last couple of months now and i havn't been able to. I'm dying to check out this site seeing as there are so many recommended stories on it.

Steph, I have no idea why the HG disabled the register function. But many of the stories posted over there - if not most of the wips - you can find at AHA in the meantime.

Big thanks to Sophie for the Slurry -recommendation, I had somehow managed to miss it on my earlier explorations of the AI, and have now really been enjoying reading it:) Darcy with a guitar and a nice pair of leatherpants, what could be better than that?

thanks renee, for the referral :). and also for slurry, which i have also been enjoying.

Hyacinth Gardens keeps popping up in this thread and i just thought i'd ask, does anyone know whats going on with this site?

I've noticed that the admins have solved the registration problem. You can register now and enjoy all the fun and fabulous stories in the gardens too.

I have been trolling for finished stories (as I am getting very jumbled keeping track of all the WIPs I am following) and I am sick that I have wasted so much time in not having read CONSORT WITH EVIL by Lisa L previously. It is described as Interbellum and the first paragraph starts very dark and grizzly. So that is what intially kept me away. Well! I am here to share that I am an hour into it and quite entrenched in this story. Lizzy and Darcy are quite enchanting as 1928 flapper-age people... with all the mystery and intrigue of Scottish castles and the such. But I couldn't concentrate without having shared my good fortune with the rest of you-- and hope if you have not read this, you will hop to it!

I want to recommend any of the work by ballpoint (Kent) That man's style sweells.Great humour and dark comments, critical of course, it's a man at the keyboard!Interesting to get into a man's point of view of the story. He goes for Happy endings. You can find his work at HG.

CONSORT WITH EVIL by Lisa L

Excellent recommendation, Christina! One of my all time favourites.

Thanks Eli for pointing out Kent. Doesn't he post at DWG as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Another story on DWG that is perhaps the best short story I have read, is "The Theater in May" by mariafaith.
The conversations/confrontations between Elizabeth and Darcy are particularly well written.

1 2 3 4 5