Religious, Political or Offensive messages WILL BE REMOVED

Liberty Bell Chapter #266
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recent Vietnam Visit

Tell us about your experiences on a return trip

Re: Recent Vietnam Visit

I just returned from Vietnam on Oct. 29 2008, here's part of my story. I'll leave it to Sandy to put a few pictures on.

Hi to one and all. Well I'm back now I could have stayed with the tour, as they headed north the day I headed home. My main reason for going was to see where I had been, and that was about it. I did see quite a few other places that I didn't see in 67, Vung tau, Tay Ninh, went to the top of Nui Bu Din. Went to a fire support base Burk or Burke, I think they said it was the 3rd. of 22nd. that was there, and the guy I shared the price of the rooms with was there.
We turned off the main road onto a dirt road, drove about 1/2 mile and stopped the bus as they told the story of being almost over run, the VC got into the perimeter but they were forced back. As I said I wasn't there so I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the story. I was sitting there looking around hearing the story in the back ground, I opened my window saw something in a muddy tire track green and corroded. We were inching forward as the story was being told so people could get an idea as to where the VC came from and got to. I couldn't take my eye off the green spot on the ground it was about 1/4 in. X about 1" I kept telling myself it probably was nothing, but it got the best of me. I went to the front of the bus to get off, not knowing what excuse to use, the tour guide said, "bathroom call?" and I said yeah. They let me off I went to the back of the bus kicked this green spot, it was an unspent M-16 round. Now what are the odds that bus would stop in that spot, I would look out and see this thing. The tour guide showed it to the rest of the bus, and told them that I kept saying I was on my own agenda and this day my agenda was to look at everything I saw very closely. I used two pair of pliers pulled out the projectile, poured out the power and I've got it home with me. I will bring it to the next meeting.
They made the Cu Chi tunnels a little more accommodating for us larger types and I did go into a few, this was in the HO BO Woods. Had a little twinge of nerves when we walked past the Vietnamese soldiers as we entered but that left in just a few seconds.
The country has changed so much. The average age of the people is 28, so most weren't born when we were there. They love seeing us touching us trying to talk to us. As the days progressed I came to notice there's a generation of people missing, "ours". You see some older people, a lot of 25-45 year olds, and many more school children, but very few people our age, many more died after the war, wounds that didn't heal because of not very good medical care, and of course agent orange, and a lot died at the hands of the North Vietnamese because they fought on our side.

Can you imagine most of us not here, what would be the make-up of our country. Could the people that were left forgive them as they have us. These people are so friendly its very hard to describe. We saw a couple of weddings, and asked if we could take their pictures, they actually stopped and posed for us until we had as many pictures as we wanted and would come over to meet us. They are just beautiful people. Now instead of remembering Vietnam as a war, I have them to remember, and the memories are already much more satisfying then the ones of 41 years ago, of course I'll never forget 41 years ago, as we all never should, they make us who we are. The new memories are of a people that are just trying to be happy and enjoying their lives, in our eyes some of it may still be a little primitive, but I think they're catching up.

All in all I am so glad I made this trip. It will be one of the most cherished memories I have for the rest of my life. It may not work for everyone, so I can't say everyone should go, but if you're thinking about it, you're probably ready, and you'll see what I really don't have the words to express fully what happened in my heart and mind.
Jon HHC 4/9 25th. Inf. Div. 1967 KUTF

Re: Re: Recent Vietnam Visit

Jon, Your pictures and story is very impressive and interesting to me and Jeff. I hope you will have the time and inclination to send more photos. Your trip of a lifetime has brought meaningful insight and memory to you. I'm happy that you had this opportunity that benefits me in learning more about a culture,history and connection. Wishing you much success on your bridge to enlightenment. Love, Loretta