Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: aftershave

no,i didnt last in the tailor shop but its a great thing i left because alexander maqueen took my job and became a world wide force in fashion while i became a skint jazz bass player... i wouldnt change a thing and i was happy having enough money to see jazz at ronnie scotts every week and bought my first upright in 85 while i also had a squire sunburst jazz bass[62 reisue]and what else would i need? i love ron carter , jaco and stanley clarke and ive been a broke professional bassist since 1992 and love it.the tailor shop time was funny though , i remember norman granz talking about his dogs ... dobermans ? norman wisdom walking down the street and walking into ronnie scotts one lunchtime and hearing lou donaldson rehearse his band , hearing COMFIRMATION and realizing that this was the most important music on gods earth .. for me. i also remember taking suits in bundles to be sewn together to an old italian dude who had a workshop in soho and having to go up a floor past some seriously glamourous hookers ... what happened to them ? hope they did well in life. it was in 84 that i read the interveiw with jaco by bill milkowski in guitar player and i was totally captivated and realised that i would like to be a bassist and sold a nice jap les paul copy to get the jazz bass . glad i did .... i love bass !! that was a great cover story and i still have the magazine. the 80`s was a great time for jazz in retrospect,horace silvers band was another yearly regular at ronnie scotts and then later in 89 chico freemans group with DELMAR BROWN ... i wanted to ask him about jaco but felt i better had not ... another time i went backstage with my friend peter washington , bassist supremo and met the brecker bros , don alias and peter erskine but i didnt ask about jaco ... sometimes even i keep quite about some things and respect peoples space . i should take heed of that quote . cheers , mike . ps , glad you have been digging the MJQ today ingrid , pure class is the only way i can describe their sound .

Listening To: double fantasy remastered