Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
INVITATION: post your DRABBLE here...!

I've just created a special drabble page for everybody, authors and readers, who'd like to try their hand at this particular kind of exercise.

For those who are not acquainted with it, a drabble is an ultra short story, with a beginning and and an end, consisting of not more than 200 words (at Mrs. Darcy's, that is). It's a challenging exercise for writers who want to tell a lot in as little words as possible.

If you have written a drabble based on one of the novels of Jane Austen, and you like to share it, you're most welcome to post it in this special drabble thread. Mrs.Darcy will see to it that it gets its proper 'corner' on this page.

Read more about the drabble phenomenon here

Renée

Re: INVITATION: post your DRABBLE here...!

I've done a modern sport P&P drabble. Any interest?

Of course, post it!

This one is inspired by a modern sport fan fic I've started writing, so please do let me know what you think!
I might have to explain that in Denmark where I come from handball is a big sport, and we've got a very good women's national team. Lizzy's last thought in this Drabble is an adaptation of a quote from the coach for the Danish national Women's team in the late 1980s before the team started winning medals at the World Cup, European Cup, and the Olympic Games.

Life is too short

“How dare you assume that I would ever play for Pemberley? It’s the last club in the world I would ever play for! You told Charles that Jane’s injury was too serious to have her play on the national team even when all the experts tell her that her knee is perfectly fine! Jane has got more right to be on this team than I have! And poor Wickham! I know all about how you got him sacked as coach for the National Youth Team!”

“Ouch”
Of course William Darcy had expected to be met by suspicion when he had offered Lizzy Bennet a good contract as playmaker for Team Pemberley. Surely the money was an incentive so good that she couldn’t refuse? He had however not expected that she would accuse him of such things and then flung her water bottle at him before she stormed to the changing room. That was why he was now trying to find an ice packet in the first aid kit. He had always admired her precise throw.

Lizzy entered the changing room and hurled her shoes at the wall.

Who is William Darcy to give me such an insulting offer? He who thinks life is too short for women’s handball!

That has major potential! Are you writing a longer version? If so, please post!

Anne, this is lovely! I agree, this has great potential, why not develop it further? I'd love to read more about Lizzy's precise throw! Poor Darcy!

I will post it on the drabble page asap.

Yes, I'm in the process of making this into a longer story. I've the first three chapters written.

I'd be very interested in reading a modern P&P ff set in the Denmark soccer leagues - what an original and interesting idea! Thank you for sharing this tidbit.

I just adored Julie's drabble. Congrats to her! i t reminds me of a HAI-KU.Just lovely.

Thanks Eli, glad you liked it!

And such a great incentive to start (re-)reading your story, Jules!...

Anne--where are you posting your story?

Well my story will be posted at HG once it is ready. And possibly here?? If Renée feels like hosting it...

My attempt

He heard her laughter before he saw her; and following the sound he found her in the gardens. Her head was tilted back in mirth, bare shoulders shaking, all aglow in the moonlight.

If he could see her face then, he knew her dark eyes would be sparkling with playfulness as she looked at her companion. Dark, dancing eyes peering beneath lowered lashes so exquisitely thick. She was hardly aware of the effect that look had on the opposite sex, which made her frequent use of it all the more dangerous.

Elizabeth Bennet, was, in a word, intoxicating.

He would think, given his great fascination with the woman, that such a sight would be his undoing.

And it was; but he derived no great pleasure from it, as the recipient of her warm gaze was another, and he slipped back into the shadows as he made his way back to the house.

Dear Mel, TY for this intriguing drabble... I refuse to be sad, since there's this possibility that isn't Darcy but another admirer... However, if it was Darcy, he can be assured that things will be all right in the end.

I will post your drabble on the appropriate page as soon as possible!

Oops, forgot to ask, do you have a title for it?

Hi Renée :D thank you. I know :D but who else would allow his shyness to prevail over his emotions like such... so he just admires her from afar... for now ;) *evil laugh*

Didn't really think of one while writing but I think I'll go with "At Half Past Midnight" :)

Great title, Mel, I'm going to post it this afternoon.

Renée

Thank you Renée

Hi Reenee,

I was inspired by your Drabble page and had a go myself, it's much harder than I thought to keep the words to a minimum, especially as i'm the kind of girl who tends to ramble! Here is my offering if you would like to read it.

I'm a bit stuck on a name for it, for want of a better idea I will go for: Evolution

Darcy was pleased to have the comforting sound of his friends amiable chatter as he paced the room, though he heard not half the words. Startled from his revive he at length understood Bingley’s offer of Brandy.

“No. Thank you Bingley, I do not wish to have my senses dulled. The initial impression I made on my wife taught me a painful lesson, and I am determined not to repeat the mistake with my child”

Bingley smiled, not even Darcy he mused, could offend a newborn.

A muffled cry traversed the thick walls, almost instantly replaced by the ever-present chorus of laughter that accompanied the sisters.

“They are remarkable women Bingley”

A knock on the door ended the visual; Darcy was shown into his wife’s chamber.

“Come Fitzwilliam, do not stand on ceremony” teased his Elizabeth “let me introduce your son”

Darcy crossed the room to his wife’s side and took his son into his embrace. The child did not cry out, but looked steadily up at the imposing figure that was his father. After a wide-eyed appraisal the child’s mind was decided, for he snuggled deeper into the strong arms that held him, and drifted into a peaceful sleep.

Oh my, Lisa, this is so poignant! Lovely.

Thanks! I'll post it on the drabble page asap.

R~

Thanks, I'm really pleased you like it.

I'm such a sucker for E&D becoming parents!

Er... My First Attempt at a P&P Drabble

At our lovely webmistress' invitation, I have written a small drabble and read the other offerings. They show the remarkable range Austen's work inspires, and I've enjoyed each of them.

Below, is my first foray into the world of Austen fanfiction.

Winter in Spring

~o0o~

The fizzle of flame sounded loud in the otherwise silent room, and the newly gutted candle was entirely ignored by the man seated at the small writing desk. His entire mien was forlorn. His hair was a rumpled mass of curls, his cravat long askew, and his fingers were ink-stained and cramped.

The room had cooled off as, with the approach of dawn, the fire had died in the grate. In the filtered morning light, the room seemed empty and still.

Dark, haunted eyes stared at the parchment envelope amidst the clutter of quill shavings and other writing paraphernalia. The family crest nestled in a negative bas-relief within the cooling glob of sealing wax. It seemed to mock him.

His pride in his family, his position in society, and his arrogant presumption of his own charms had brought him low.

Abruptly, he rose from the chair and stalked to the window, staring out at the trees surrounding the massive stone edifice of Rosings. Young, green leaves had begun to clothe the slim limbs and sturdy branches.

It was spring in the south of England. Why then, Darcy wondered, did it feel like winter.

~o0o~

A very warm welcome as an author of PP fanfiction, dear Bambu! I am quite impressed (got the picture! ) and will post this lovely drabble as soon as I can on the appropriate page.

Readers, I met Bambu here, on Mrs Darcy's, but I know in the meantime that she's a wonderful author of Harry Potter oriented fanfiction. Fortunately, she's a great fan of Jane Austen as well. So, I expect longer stories from her hand inspired by the works of our beloved authoress soon!

R~

That was wonderful!! Thanks Bambu and Renee.

Thank yous ...

... to Renee and Sammy.

Renee, I'm delighted to entertain the thoughts of a longer piece. The bunny is very hungry! Thank you very much for your warm welcome.

Sammy, I'm so glad you liked the drabble. It woke me up this morning and wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it.

I've always thought this was the pivotal moment in Darcy's character, and it happens beyond the pages of the book. It's a great moment to think on.

Thanks again for making me feel so comfortable.

Bambu, what a lovely, evocative drabble! Can't wait to read more from you.

Bambu,
What a lovely drabble! I think it's the best piece of fan fic I've read in quite a long time. Please, keep posting. And thanks Renée for this beautiful website. I check it daily a few times!

Ángeles

Thank you and you're welcome, Angeles. I'm very happy you like this place.

And isn't it amazing indeed how ultra short stories can have such a great impact?

R~

Another fan in the making....that was great Bambu, and as you say written at a crucial moment in Darcy's story. Lovely thankyou.

I'm so encouraged ...

... by your warm welcome, Ellen G, Angeles, and Lisa J.

It's most kind of each of you to read my little drabble (which was really fun to write,) and to suggest that more might be welcomed. I truly appreciate it more than I can express.

I'll get the hang of checking for comments in a day or so. I've only been lurking for a very short time.

Thank you all very much.

Truly haunting, Bambu, and exceptionally well-written. Hope to see more from you and soon.

Considering how much I have enjoyed your work, I am quite complimented by your feedback.

Thank you very, very much, Jan H.

I am judiciously feeding a little plot bunny of the P&P variety. I'm not sure it will grow up, but I'm considering it.

All the best,

Bambu

Lizzy Drabble ... A Painful Word

I've been made to feel so welcome, and since I like symmetry, I thought to write a Lizzy drabble. I hope you enjoy it.

~o0o~

A Painful Word
By Bambu

~o0o~

Regret, she thought, was one of the most painful words in the King’s English.

Miles of late summer countryside were eaten up by the Gardiner’s horses, their hooves pounding the dry roads on the expeditious journey homeward. Dust and worry were her constant companions; those she could give voice to in the presence of her solicitous aunt and uncle. At least, the dust gave a plausible reason for her red-rimmed eyes and the frequent use of her handkerchief.

Privately, however, it was regret for the lateness of her understanding which made Elizabeth ill.

Only now did she comprehend, with some small measure of real empathy, how Darcy must have felt in Kent when she had rejected his proposal.

Suddenly overwhelmed, she twisted to look out the window. The glories of ripening harvests in the fields beyond the close confines of the rocking carriage couldn’t pull her attention from the bleakness of her mental landscape.

She shivered in the noonday heat. Why, she wondered, was she so cold?

~o0o~

Fantastic Bambu! I only got to read both drabbles today.
I have only one thing to say (ask? :P):

Where's the rest of the story?!

Very good question, Mel!

...the bleakness of her mental landscape

This is so beautiful! And how evocative the description of what she actually sees which is so in conflict with how she feels. You're amazing Bambu.

I've posted it on the appropriate page.

Dear Bambu,
Your drabbles are beautiful; each one like a haiku with not a word wasted and wonderful use of language.
Thank
Juliet

Bambu:
Can you not tell that we are all anxiously awaiting your first full-length fanfic? Your second drabble was just as beautiful as the first. Good show!

Delighted thanks ...

... to Mel, Reneee, Juliet, and Ellen G. You ladies are most generous with your praise. Thank you.

Considering the fact that I've read Mel's, Renee's, and Ellen's work, and I know you're each more than capable authors, I'm very touched by your praise and enthusiasm.

Juliet, if you're an author, I haven't yet found your work -- but I will -- and if not, I'm nonetheless tickled by your praise.

I do have three-pages of a rough outline for a Darcy/Elizabeth Regency story. However, it doesn't quite have an ending yet. I think I might write drabbles for most of the P&P characters, so I can get a better feel for them.

Thank you all, once again.

Bambu, I just read your Darcy drabble, and I too must say it is excellent and evocative of the bleak morning after a tortured night he must have spent, penning his letter to Elizabeth. Thank you!

Julie

I do have three-pages of a rough outline for a Darcy/Elizabeth Regency story. However, it doesn't quite have an ending yet. I think I might write drabbles for most of the P&P characters, so I can get a better feel for them.

I like this appraoch, like it very much indeed!

R~

Thanks ...

Julie L. I'm so pleased you liked the Darcy drabble. I had a very clear image of that one, the other was more of a 'feeling.' Isn't it interesting how different ideas evoke different clarity?

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. It's so very encouraging.

You're welcome Bambu, I hadn't seen the Lizzy one before when I posted last night, now, I've just read it. It too is very good, you are very talented in your use of nature and detail in conjuring up images, yet keeping it brief at the same time! Not easy!! Keep it up!

Julie

Outlines and Drabbles

Renee, you're so very encouraging. It's marvelous, and I thank you.

I do have three little drabble bunnies nibbling away at my brain. I may have to indulge one of them tomorrow morning, as we're away to a wedding and reception later today. Still, I have a thought about Mrs. Bennet I may play with -- of course, she flutters about so nervously I can't get her to be quiet for ten minutes altogether!

Drabbles of Thanks

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the Lizzy piece as well, Julie L. It wasn't quite as distinct an image as the Darcy drabble, but I was inspired more by her feelings than the setting.

You're most kind to offer continued encouragement.

Thank you so much.

Enjoy yourself, Bambu! Looking forward to the new ones.

Here's my small offering:

William was still half asleep when he started to cry, quietly at first but the noise quickly got more demanding. She squinted at the clock, very tired, but it was too dark to see. She rose with a sigh, picked the baby up from his crib and offered him her breast but the baby would not stop crying long enough to start nursing and she had to pace across the room, attempting to soothe him.

“Hush, Wills, it is all right, mama is here.”

She tried everything she could think of to pacify him but all in vain. The crying got louder and soon he howled as if in terrible pain. She felt a headache coming on as well. Broken nights were taking their toll. She knew from experience that this would take an hour at least.

Finally she made him a nest out of a blanket next to herself and fell on her bed in exhaustion. His sobs came only in occasional cramps now.

Her husband opened the door and looked in. He was shocked. “My dear, do you not remember what Lady Catherine says about sleeping next to the baby?”

Thank you, Katja, this is very recognizable for all mothers. :)

“My dear, do you not remember what Lady Catherine says about sleeping next to the baby?”

I bet she disapproves of it, but I often did and it helped! Took them in our bed... hee hee

I will post it on the appropriate page tomorrow, Katja. Welcome aboard.

Renée

I've been very remiss in leaving my comments for these drabbles, and I'm sorry. They're beautiful!

I'm very intrigued by some of them, though, and that's the bad thing for me about reading drabbles: I usually want to know more!! Mel, will you tell us who's Lizzy other admirer? Colonel Fitzwilliam, perhaps (but would he walk with her at midnigth?!!)? I would love to read a continuation of your drabble And Katja, you won't leave us there, will you? I have to know what Lady Catherine has to say on the subject! Her advise is always so useful!

Thanks, ladies, for sharing you writing, and Renée, of course,for keeping this site! It's great!

and Renée, of course,for keeping this site! It's great!

Thanks, Maria Teresa, I'm doing the best I can!

1 2