Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

I know I'm probably alone in this but I would be perfectly happy with the story without Wickham. How possibly smart Lizzy could ever like him? I think in the original PP Lizzy was ready to believe his lies, at least partly, because she was already angry with Darcy. And she wanted to believe Darcy was guilty all charges. But here... Oh, why does she get so excited about Wickham? Who is more blind at the moment - Darcy or Lizzy?
Thank you for another wonderful chapter.

Oh, why does she get so excited about Wickham?

Basia, I've got this feeling that Ellen has a much more handsome Wickham in mind than Adrian Lukis who played him in the BBC series. I thought that a stupid casting decision! I have never been able to find anything attractive or credible about that man, and that's contrary to how he's been described in the book.

Anyway, let's just hope that she will come to her senses, I so crave happy endings! hint hint...

Thanks Ellen for another great chapter. I am getting anxious for something MORE to happen between Darcy and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it might be something disastrous and of course, it's probably going to involve Wickham. Thanks, Cindy

Ah..this Darcy is such a thinker, constantly plotting his ways to gain information !

Now with a 3rd suitor possibly for Lizzy, one that is definitely not trustworthy, I hope someone or some incident will open her eyes to his true self. Perhaps Darcy could be of service?? But if the doctor is the one, then my only fear is that Lizzy will gradually fall for him!

I am thinking ... how could actually Wickham know about Darcy being there ?
And if he doesn't know, he wouldn't start maligning his name. So he is only 'charming'... therefore the good doctor, trying to dissuade Elizabeth in considering Wickham as a possible 'admirer', could tell her some stories about Wickham... (if only he knows !).

Darcy could be quite spared this time...LOL
Or even gaining some points !
I like this plan !

Good point Mihaela! Why would Wickham randomly start saying stuff about Darcy. And even if he did, that would really look more weird to Elizabeth since she really doesn't think bad of him yet. This is greatness Ellen! Thanks for another chapter so soon.

Thanks to all who responded!

As for the necessity of Wickham, Basia, well, physical beauty or the absence of it or the inability to perceive it is at the heart of this story. Wickham is here in all his physical beauty as a counterpoint to Mr. Hampton's age and Mr. Darcy's presumed disfigurement. But we all know that beauty is "in the eye of the beholder."

And yes, Renee, I agree that Wickham, who is supposed at least as handsome as Darcy, should never have been played by that actor in the 1995 BBC miniseries. Ugh! I prefer the Wickham of the 2005 version.

Mihaela, you clever girl! Yes, it's true that in this situation, neither Wickham nor Darcy could be aware of the other's presence. Doesn't that make things more interesting?

I agree with Michaela however, wouldn't
Wickham use his story of woe and being abused at the hands of a wealthly arrogant man bring him some sympathy and gain the trust from the community that he needs even quicker? Wickham plays his cards well, and he uses every trick...not knowing that Daracy is in the neighborhood he would have no scruples spreading lies and deceit to suit his purposes. And if he is competing with the doctor, this would make him a more sympathetic suitor, since the doctor is a better "catch" due to his financial status. But, the question still remains...did Wickham give Lizzy attention because he really liked her or was he just "playing" at love to see how far he could compromise her? And why oh why can't Lizzy see this?!?

Loved the chapter...Darcy has to work twice as hard to form his opinions, and he's still not getting it right but at least he's trying to be impartial, although I can't see how he can even think of approving or objecting to Jane based on other people's observations...he'll need to "see" for himself.

I agree with Frances, the question IS was Wickhead only charming to Liz because he could see Darcy's affection for Liz? I mean with Darcy not in the picture Lizzy is just another pretty girl. And with Darcy being a private man would his physian actually know of Wickhead relationship with Darcy. I just don't see it.

I see the good Dr as older more amiable Mr Collins.
He really doesn't stand a chance but because he is a good man, Liz does see this, he is less revolting. I wonder what he will do when he see he has competition in a younger more handsome man other then Darcy? He has all ready tried to taint Liz's opinion on one man how will he do it with another?

I wonder if Darcy realizes that he actually helping Caroline's cause by making himself more available to her. He did spend the whole afternoon with her ALONE and he asked for her assistance. By sacrificing his feelings for Liz he is encouraging Caroline. We know his interest doesn't lie there but she doesn't.

Thank you for the post, Ellen!

Stacy

This chapter really highlighted Elizabeth's youth to me. She is displaying a toned down version of Lydia and Kitty's behavior in her vulnerablity to physical appeal. While she makes no pretense to herself that she is attracted to Mr. Hampton, she has admitted a powerful attraction to Mr. Darcy. Now a new face comes along and those other two gentleman are so yesterday's flavor.

Hopefully since Wickham doesn't know of Darcy's presence in the area he will leave that viscious tale untold, but he clearly has an advantage with Elizabeth in that she already thinks him the handsomest man of her acquaintance. She will no doubt be looking only for the best in him. Hoo boy....this is going to be interesting!!

Yes, Lizzy has had her head turned by a pretty face, but she's only just been introduced.

Lizzy sees the good Dr as amiable, but she also sees him turning to dust while she's still in her youth. Her subconscious knows how attracted to Darcy she is even if she doesn't want to think about it in the light of day.

How IS Darcy going to be able to meet up w/the Bennets and pursue Lizzy w/out the town at large knowing of his presence?

I'm enjoying your story, Ellen. Thank you for another fine chapter. Do you have an idea of how many chapters there will be? Just me being nosey.

Wickham! Ugh...no good can come of this. I wish Lizzy's family acted better but it didn't seem to discourage Dr. H. I hope Darcy comes up with a plan soon. Think, man! Thanks for the chapter, Ellen. I just can't figure out how you will make everything all better. You will make it all better, won't you?

TIME TO GIVE DARCY EYES TO SEE :) The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

Ellen,

GAH! Darcy needs eyes that work when Wickham is on the loose :)! Pls give Darcy back his eyes; he needs to step into the fray amd make some moves.

STEVIEB

Do you have an idea of how many chapters there will be?

Wendy, as with all my stories, there will be exactly as many chapters as there need to be!

You will make it all better, won't you?

Lucy, have I ever let you down before?

But, the question still remains...did Wickham give Lizzy attention because he really liked her or was he just "playing" at love to see how far he could compromise her? And why oh why can't Lizzy see this?!?

Frances, at this point we really don't know how much attention Wickham will pay to Lizzy. After all, they've just been introduced. And as for her attraction to him, well, I seem to remember that when I was 20, I was easily charmed by a handsome face! (Wait...maybe I still am!)

Oh I was determined NOT to start another WIP, but I just couldn't resist... and now of course I am completely hooked! More SOON PLEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSE

Trixiara, my dear, never fear, Ellen is a very constant author! Moreover, she never disappoints, quite on the contrary!

Renee, thank you for your constant support. I assure you, your trust in me is not misplaced.

Welcome, Trixiara! As always, I promise to finish what I start. But patience is, as they say, a virtue.

Dear Ellen
I am not nagging, no, no (now, why everybody thinks I would do this ? ...)

Just wanted you to know I am thinking about you...

And to wish you a Happy weekend !
(of course I would have a very happy one, if only... but no, no... I won't...*mutter mutter*)

Mihaela (& Everyone else)

Please bear with me... I was almost ready to post and I ran into severe computer issues. I hope to resolve them soon.

Thanks to Eli, my dears, the chapter could be posted sooner than Ellen and we expected after all her computer distress...

Here you go, chapter 9 has just been posted!

Yay!!!! She's going to read to him!!! He didn't seem to be repulsed by her family but perhaps we'll learn a little more about that later.

I LOVE that he recognized her as soon as she came through the door. LOL He has her intrigued, too. Now, let's hope his appeal begins to outweigh that of Wickham AND Hampton!

Happy Mother's Day to all and thank you Ellen and Renee for such a wonderful treat. Poor Darcy. I love the way Elizabeth feels in his presence and that she is showing so much concern for him. I can't help but laugh at the way Elizabeth feels about the old doctor. I love this story and am anxious for more. Thanks Renee for the postings all this week. In truth, you post so constantly that none of us have room to complain. Thanks again!!! Cindy

DARCY NEEDS HIS EYES W/ WICKHAM & THE SNEAKY DOCTOR AFOOT :)

Ellen

Thanks for the lovely chapter. It was a nice Mother's Day suprise. I liked that it ended with the the plan for her return to read to him. But, how will she get past Miss Bingley and the doctor and accomplish that task?

But, as I said before, please get the bandages off of Dary toute de suite. With Wickham and the sneaky doctor afoot, Darcy needs his eyes!! Give the man his eyes

STEVIEB

No, no, not yet ! Bandages off, he'll be just a 'handsome face' again ! Elizabeth needs to see more of "him" before seeing his figure. Ahd he, well, he is already bewitched without seeing those fine eyes...

Too bad Wickham name is not mentionned in the presence of the good doctor ! Methinks Mr.Hampton knows something about Darcy's dealings with the rake. Is Collins to come as well ?

How come D was not "impressed" by the lack of propriety displayed by the Bennets ?
And I am looking forward to the announced visit and consequent reading moment !
Shakespeare ! What will she read ? Sonnets ? Or rather "A Midsummer Night's Dream" ?
"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind."

Loved this chapter !

SmileyCentral.com

Please. Let us celebrate with style!!!SmileyCentral.com

Ellen,
thank you for another wonderful chapter. I especially liked the ending of it. Lizzy coming to read him... What a splendid idea. Perhabs they can find other activities more exciting
I just hope she's not going to meet Wickham on her way to Darcy in the morning.
I've read on the main page that fabulous Mrs Darcy is going to post chapters of one of the stories every single day now. Is this "The Eye of the Beholder" by any chance?
I must admit I'm not a huge fan of Regency stories but this one... Yummy
Basia

Ellen, so Lizy as three men jockeying for her. One for a temporary amusement, one thru devious means and one who is trying to persuade himself against it! WOW, can she navagate this land mine of beau's safely? And Collins hasn't even showed up yet!!

Thank you for posting!!

Stacy

It is time for Mr. Hampton to stop being so nice and charming. I think he should start being mean and short-tempered so Elizabeth doesn't have to like being courted by him. I hope the morning reading goes well. Thanks for the lovely chapter, Ellen!

Hello Ellen,
Just another reader writing in support of this wonderful story. I too am eager to see how things will progress but I know that if it was all posted at once I would not experience as much delicious anticipation. I like that Darcy and Elizabeth's interactions as well as other events occur naturally, nothing feels forced and contrived here. More of the same and maybe a smooch or two, still to come I hope. Thanks for the fabulous WIP!

Ellen,

Thank you for such a wonderful chapter! I just imagine Lizzy wanting to crawl under the table with the behavior of her family at Netherfield, but I hope Darcy can "overlook" them! I was so happy to see Lizzy sneak in to talk with Mr. Darcy and I can't wait to see how their readings together go.

Now I do not mind the Doctor as long as Elizabeth knows she's not interested in him and he doesn't try too hard to bad mouth Darcy. I hope that Lizzy will be able to know enough of Darcy's character by the time Wickham starts his lies that she will be able to put him in his place! Maybe Darcy will tell her about his sister before Wickham starts. I can dream can't I! Please post again soon and I hope your computer nightmares end soon!

Ellen

Thanks for another excellent chapter of this intriguing story. Will you give us Darcy's reaction to the turbulent Bennets? Or will he, like Bingley and Hampton, set that 'ill-mannered behavior' aside? It's amusing that Mrs. Bennet's ambitions with respect to Mr. Hampton at least serve to prevent her pushing Lizzy into someone else's (Wickham?)path. I would expect L's reaction to Wickham to be as shallow as it is in canon, since W doesn't know that Darcy's in residence & would have no particular reason to slander him. Or will that be a cause of Lizzy to disbelieve W? She is building up a positive emotional investment in Darcy, whether she knows it or not, and therefore should be less susceptible to W's slimy ways.

I thought Hampton was unusually unperceptive when Lizzy asked about Darcy, given that he was witness to the 'touching' episode. Or is it that he is too far infatuated to realize that *she* would have been affected by such an experience (who on earth *could* be immune!!! )?

Love the interactions between L&D--he's so captivated and she's so drawn to him. She may think she's on a mission of mercy, but I doubt that she would have made the effort if Mr. Collins had been the wounded man.

I always eagerly await updates to this story.
Cheers,
Margaret

3 men after Lizzy's heart (or body), what a challenge ! I hope Wickham will divert his attention to someone else soon so Lizzy will not fall deeper into his charm. The doctor seems to think that Lizzy is for sure to marry him....i hope she'll not give him too much encouragement. On the other hand, so pleased to see her gracious manner in greeting Darcy and even offered to read to him . Now, THAT i am so looking forward to!

Ellen;
Another excellent chapter with even more intrigue and suspense!
Wickham's the charmer; Hampton's safe & stable; & Darcy's just irresistible! She can't stay away from him. Darcy's the challenge...she wants to not like him yet she keeps rationalizing his behavior. Let's hope he doesn't do anything really stupid, like discourage Bingley from courting Jane. I'd like to see Dr. Hampton and Wickham compete against eachother,or have Wickham start his attentions to Miss King and get him away from Lizzy.
I'm not sure if I want Darcy to get his sight back yet...his injury gives him an advantage and makes him more humble, especially around Lizzy.
I have a feeling that we shouldn't forget about Caroline and her manipulative ways. She has a poison tongue and a mercenary heart!
Can't wait till tomorrow!

So many wonderful responses!

I'm not sure what Renee has been promising with regard to frequent postings, but it does not apply to "Eye of the Beholder." Sorry The most I can handle is about once a week. Thanks for bearing with me.

Oh Elizabeth you have a beautiful soul......to be so thoughful about our beloved Darcy...my heart is all a flutter........

I'm not sure what Renee has been promising with regard to frequent postings, but it does not apply to "Eye of the Beholder." Sorry The most I can handle is about once a week. Thanks for bearing with me.

Don't worry, my lovely! I've got still a few new instalments of Eli's in store for the fans.

I love your story. Can't wait to read the rest of it!

Just wanted to tell you that im love reading this story its fantastic.You have created soo much tension between Darcy and Elizabeth i love his way of "seeing" her it was very sexy.I love what your doing and i love reading this fantastic story
Niketa

Chapter 10 is up. Enjoy!

"You know I marry Mr. Hampton today. So make haste, my dear; I cannot keep him at bay for ever."
Well, if that isn't a significant dream....hopefully Darcy will think on that for a while.

Darcy is drawn to Elizabeth more and more but there seem to be so many obstacles to a relationship between them. What can occur to remove some of them? I'm curious as to the Colonel's opinion of Jane...will he prove a better judge than Darcy? That would be a fun twist, having him meet the Bennets earlier and be able to excercise some unbiased observation of them.

Wickham makes my flesh crawl, literally! Ugh! Please let Elizabeth quickly discern his character so he makes no further progress with her. Lydia is shameless, too! Blech! I keep telling myself she is just young and unguided but she seems to have no inner sense of propriety whatsoever.

You never fail to please, Ellen! Thanks for the great chapter.

So, he did hear the improprieties and he has formed an opinion on her family !
But as the Colonel arrives, I hope he will realize there are now 3 gentlemen who are able to appreciate the Bennet girls making abstraction of the mother and younger girls !
But at the same time, would the Colonel addition provide another headache for Darcy ? Is him to be interested in Elizabeth as well ? Granted, Darcy doesn't know yet about Wickham...
Or maybe the Colonel's arrival would scare Wickham away ?
As always, I just speculate away. Not that I ever really guessed where your plot led us.. but I am enjoying doing it nevertheless....

Lovely !

Ellen,
thank you for another wonderful chapter! So, Darcy doesn’t think well about Bennets. What a surprise.
But I was wondering if – since he cannot see at present – his opinion about Jane could be a little different than it was in original P&P. I had an impression that his prejudice was in large part based on his observations of Jane’s behavior toward Charles. And since he cannot observe with his own eyes if she is “indifferent” perhaps he’s not going to be so reluctant (as he is about the rest of the family).
And he plans for colonel to help him see what’s going on. Well, Fitzwiliam didn’t seem too haughty so perhaps he’s not going to strengthen Darcy’s ill opinion. On the other hand, he might become another rival. And we still don’t know if Collins is going to show up. That would be fun. Five competitors!
The last thing – if I understand correctly the Bennets don’t know about Darcy. But I fear that they’re going to learn about his presence and stupid Lydia immediately is going to spill the beans.
Or, Bingley is going to give a ball and Wickham, unaware of Darcy’s presence is going to show up and they meet in a secluded corridor, and Darcy cannot see him, and… Stop, stop!
Great story!

Forgive me Ellen I write it here but I just don’t know where else to put this. I wanna thank Renee for her kindness. I admitted above English is not my native and she was very sweet with her comment and words of support. Even simple comment is of great effort for me, but I work very hard on improving my vocabulary and grammar. You know how.
Renee, thanks!

Thank you, Basia . I think the authors are all thrilled to know that so many fans who are not native speakers of English appreciate their stories so much, and what's more, express their appreciation in their comment threads, wherever they come from. Personally, I think it's so exciting to know that the stories posted here on Mrs Darcy's are read and appreciated all over the world, and I'm not exaggerating!

I'm delighted to have you as one of our regular visitors, Basia, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with your use of English. My compliments go to you.

Ellen,

Eyes woman! Darcy's needs his eyes toute de suite. A full plate for Lizzy--Darcy/the Doctor/Wickham . . oh my.

Oh. I am glad the Colonel is coming to assist Darcy. As no one else can be trusted. Bingley is obtuse so he is never any help; therefore, the Colonel, with his military experience, is needed to keep an "eye" on what is going on & provide his tactical expertise.

More. More. More chapters. Love the story.

Thanks

STEVIEB

I'd laugh if the Colonel was added to the growing list of Elizabeth's admirers. Hopefully he'll see Jane's affections for Bingley and discover Wickham's presence in town, preventing both of Elizabeth's traditional charges against Darcy. Will we find other forms of angst to make up for such relationship ease, however?

And furtive kisses between Wickham and Lydia was not what I had in mind when I commented last. I suppose I should be more specific next time.

I trust Lydia about as far as I can throw her. She and Wickham will have to make their own special brand of trouble. I hope the colonel will tell Darcy that Jane loves Bingley so he can relax about that. Thanks for the new chapter!

As she did so, she stole a glimpse at his face and marveled at the appearance of the new skin on his face. In the light of day, she could see but little damage, certainly no proud flesh. She wondered again if it were hidden by his dressings...or whether perhaps Mr. Hampton had been less than honest with her.

I liked this part. Elizabeth doesn't strike me as the type who will easily overlook being lied to. Hopefully this will put a severe crimp in Dr. Hampton's suit and open the way for Darcy. At least, once Darcy gets off his high horse.

Thanks all, for your thoughtful responses...which I will not address individually, so as not to give anything away!

Chapter 11 will be up shortly.

Indeed, Ellen, chapter 11 will be up shortly... As a matter of fact I've just posted it, with trembling hands... I'm afraid, very afraid...

I really think Hampton is blind instead of Darcy... How can he possibly woo a woman who's younger than...? No, I won't say it... whom he didn't tell about his far-reaching plans!?...

Mrs Darcy is most seriously displeased with this man!

Find out and see for yourselves in another gripping chapter, dear friends!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10