Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author
Comment
Re: Sins of the Fathers by Jan H

I'm so sad now. Poor Elizabeth and Darcy. I'm sure things will work out, but until then, I'm very sad. Cindy

Such sadness! I'm sure Darcy didn't really see Lizzy on his way out (or did he?), he's probably in a daze, battling his emotions. Loved their moment by the lake, Darcy has his wit when he wants to use it. Any chance that Lizzy will eventually go to Bath?

Jan! That was too sad! You must raise our spirit soon or we'll just faint with anguish!

Jan,
I love the way you tell your stories. You always leave me wanting more. Thank you.

[I love the way you tell your stories. You always leave me wanting more. Thank you.]

Thank you, Barbara. I think you're the only one who would say that right now - LOL. Everyone else is ready to strangle me.

I'm really sorry to leave all of you on such a low note. This chapter was necessary to provide the impetus for action in the next one. Does that help? Probably not.

I do appreciate everyone's comments. And Eli, I'm blushing to see such a popular and busy author take time to read this story.

I must offer special thanks to Ellen G, Debbie S, and Linnea, my excellent betas. They suffered through numerous re-writes of this chapter with characteristic patience. Now, if only my readers will...

-Jan

Jan! You must be joking! My stories are toddlers in comparison to your exquisite writing! But thank you. Please, do not make us hold our breath too long! i cannot wait to see this poor man unleash so much pentup emotion!

Everyone else is ready to strangle me
If we did, who would write a happy end?

But seriously - I think I'm not the only one, who would prefer to wait until it is finished, because sadness of the story is just too heartbreaking, but once one started to read it - just cannot stop.
Believe me, I don't like angsty stories. I have enough angst with my boss at work, and also angst is usually boring for me. I find nothing excited about it.
But there are exceptions - one of them is this story. It written so smartly, engaging, and intriguing - I just can't stay away.
So, don't worry with our complaining. It means we're totally under your spell.

So, don't worry with our complaining. It means we're totally under your spell.

Thanks, Basia, I actually needed to hear that this week. And Eli, I wasn't kidding. I'm very impressed with your work.

-Jan

Jan another sad chapter.Mind you no matter how sad it is I'm still reading it, the story is so compelling. I can't wait for all this mystery to unfold so that D & E can finally be happy.
annj

Jan
Altho my heart breaks for D&E, I know that the truth (whatever it may be) will give them joy in the end...or at least I'm hopeful it will. Yes, the chapter was too too sad, but I do love the way you write. Don't keep us in suspense too long!

Frances

Chapter eleven is up, my dears. Enjoy!

Jan,

Another heartbreaking chapter! I can see Elizabeth is more active, but seeing her so despaired and jealous is truly painful. I hope Darcy is not really interested in Ms. Simpson, no matter how beautiful she is.

But most of all – reading this story is not easy because of the incredible tension, but at the same time I do enjoy and admire your incredible talent. It is written in such a marvelous way.

Thank you very much!

Oh Jan, this is still such a sad chapter! I feel for Lizzy, esp when Darcy is giving her a cold shoulder! And a Miss Simpson's appearance, with Darcy obviously admiring her! What can this mean??
Yet he's bent on discovering the truth of Lizzy's birth, or perhaps he's more interested to find out why his father has an affair. Very much look forward to their talk!

Poor, Poor Elizabeth to see another on the arm of Mr. Darcy.SmileyCentral.com This was so, so sad a chapter and to have to wait another week is going to be such agony. Please have mercy Jan.

OMG JAN?! You left us there? GAH!!!! Torture

Great story.

STEVIEB

OMG Jan, what a cliffhanger and a torture.
annj

Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum, but I just want to say that I love your stories so much Jan! I've been reading your stories for awhile, and recently am reading Sins of the Fathers. I always look forward to this story with anticipation--and am so excited whenever you post a new chapter!
Pleeease post the next chapter soon!! Ch.11 ended with a cliffhanger...and I really hope we see more developments in E & D's relationship in the next chapter!
Thanks again for writing such wonderful stories; you're my favorite Jane Austen fan-fic writer!

Can he be taunting her? Doing only what she might have implied? So, So sad She is be slighted once again and she feels it breaking her poor poor heart! I hope he has a rough crossing w/o Georgiana

Dear Jan,
This is the first time I comment on any story here but I had to let you know how much I love this story.
This is a beautifully written story and I'm enjoying it completely. THANK YOU for sharing your beautiful gift of writting with us.

Why is Darcy flaunting that Simpson woman in front of E?
Is he trying to punish her? Can he twist the knife even further? Now He wants to talk?

Thank you, everyone, for your comments! I wish I could think of a way to tell you how much I appreciate them.

And welcome, Grace and Fde! I'm so glad you posted and hope you will continue to do so in other comment threads. There is a wealth of good writing on this site!

As for poor Elizabeth - doesn't anyone feel sorry for Darcy? The guy chases after Elizabeth all over England, evidently spends his days trying to prove she's not his sister, and then she lashes out at him the last time they were together. I think he deserves to dance with a pretty lady - remember he's had to watch her dance with partner after partner at balls in Derbyshire and Bath.

Oh, well, what do I know? I just try to write down what these characters keep doing right in front of me. I've tried to talk to them, but they just won't listen. Stubborn lot.

How's that for shirking responsibility for the torture I'm putting them through?

-Jan

Jan,

Of course we feel sorry for Darcy as well. But there are few buts. Since the story is written from Elizabeth’s POV it is natural we suffer as much as she does, we know how much she is hurt, despaired, insecure, lost, and heartbroken (not only because of Darcy, but also because of all what she has learnt and not learnt so far). Darcy did say things, he should not. Darcy was cold toward her in the latest chapter. Yes, I remember him being jealous at least twice, but it’s not easy for Elizabeth to say no to a gentleman asking her for a dance. Darcy danced with Ms. Simpson with his own will. Perhaps it was proper to ask her dance, but twice? As I understand it could be seen back then as a proof of a greatest interest (like Bingley’s two set of dances with Jane at Netherfield).

I really do understand he is hurt. But I’m beginning to have doubts as to his main motive to find out the truth. Now it seems like he is mainly trying to figure out if his father cheated on his mother.

Oh, Jan. I have said this repeatedly before – this is excellent and, what is obvious, thoroughly planned story. I admire and appreciate all the hard work you put in it. But it is very, very hard to bear all the pain and suffering you designed for Elizabeth (and Darcy).

Yes, I must agree with Basia. Though I feel so bad for all the pain that they are both suffering, Elizabeth is just getting put through the ringer. She is suffering the loss of her identity, as well as dealing with the stigma of being illigitimate. She also has lost the love of her life, and is trying so hard to bear it. Darcy has chased her all over England, but they cannot act on their feelings and it's more than Lizzy can bear.

I trust Darcy's motives in trying to discover the truth about his father. I'm sure that he wants to have his father's image restored to him, but he also wants absolute proof that Lizzy is/isn't his sister, and will stop at nothing until he finds out the truth. That is very noble of him, but his actions toward Lizzy are confusing. She lashed out at him when she felt that he slighted her birth-mother, but he absolutely shunned her for it. I think he was just overwhelmed with the pain of it all, but still it was quite harsh. Then, she goes all the way to Bath to try and talk to him, only to have him flaunt Miss Simpson in her face That's also very harsh, since Lizzy has never been flirtatious with anyone, and especially in front of the man she loves. She even ran away from Pemberley so as not to put them in a painful position.

I don't deny Darcy the pleasure of a dance, but he doesn't even like dancing, and it seems as if he's singling Miss Simpson out. Even Georgiana thinks he's smitten. I hope he doesn't raise her hopes, ala Bingley, and be forced to offer for her out of honor, ala Persuasion.

I don't understand how he can do this while simultaneously trying to find out the truth about Lizzy. I want to trust Darcy's feelings, but his actions are odd. I could understand his behaviour if it is proven that Lizzy is his sister, but he still doesn't know, and he knew that Lizzy would be at the dance that night. Also, Lizzy can't say no to men that ask her to dance, yet Darcy has the choice to dance or not. It seems very wrong.

I am glad that Lizzy has taken this chance to talk to him and clear the air. She would have gone through life so upset and confused if she hadn't.

I liked the scene in the shop that was similar to the scene in Persuasion. Could Darcy be acting the way he is because of his jealousy of the Colonel? Is he flaunting Miss Simpson out of spite and jealousy? I want to trust Darcy's heart, but I hope it isn't straying.

I just love your writing Jan, and this is turning out to be a real favorite of mine. I can't wait for more

I agree with Basia and Jtorres!

I will not discount Darcy's pain but his future is secure. He does not loose anything from this situation. He can dance with any beautiful girl he wants and can chose from any of them. Lizzy does not have that option.

I don't know how much a single woman and not wealthy will be able to move around in those days, but Lizzy is the one that will gain a lot from finding out the identity of her father. Her future depends on it. Can Uncle Gardiner help? Right now, our dear girl is a pile of mush! Let's hope she regains her spirit soon!

You know Jan, this is entirely your fault! LOL!! Can we entice you to post 2 chapters? He, he!!

Thank you, Basia, JTorres, and Annabella. You have excellent insight, and I didn't mean to disparage Lizzy's pain in my remarks. Actually, I just wanted to play the devil's advocate and take Darcy's side in a somewhat tongue in cheek manner, since so many people have wondered about his feelings.

I liked the scene in the shop that was similar to the scene in Persuasion. Could Darcy be acting the way he is because of his jealousy of the Colonel? Is he flaunting Miss Simpson out of spite and jealousy? I want to trust Darcy's heart, but I hope it isn't straying.

That sums up what I think Darcy is feeling. He knew Georgiana wrote to Elizabeth, but she didn't write back and tell them she was coming to Bath. He asked her numerous times, but she always refused. He is quite hurt that she took his remark at the pond in the manner that she did after all he has tried to do for her. It really wounded him. Then, he runs into her in Bath and who is she with? Fitzwilliam! He knows the Col wants to marry her, so that adds fuel to the fire.

You will not hear all of this in the "talk" between D&E. Just consider it an additional glimpse into his head via mine. And hope this isn't a spoiler for those of you who prefer to remain in anguish over what in the world is going on.

-Jan

Jan,

thank you for giving us some light on what's going on in Darcy's head.
Maybe next chapter will bring them some relief...

Basia

Appreciate your generous insight on how Darcy feels, Jan. But i still can't get over the fact he danced with Miss Simpson twice

Anyway, TGIF! 3 days to next chapter update right???

Jan, I do appreciate that you've given us some idea of Darcy's feelings. That is very generous of you. I guess some of us were confused as to Darcy's motives with Miss Simpson.

I think he might be feeling jealous in the extreme, and is tired of feeling rejected at Elizabeth's hand, so he is trying to boost his own ego by enjoying the attentions of a beautiful woman.I don't think it's fair to Miss Simpson at all though.

I'm glad that he is not giving up on his quest to clear his father's image, and out of his anger, this may be his only motive at this point. I think though that he desperately wants Lizzy NOT to be his sister, but as you've said, he is very wounded.

His anger and jealousy are kind of wierd though. At some level, he must realize that Lizzy is suffering horribly, and her actions are to spare them any more awkwardness. Since it's so obvious that they are still in love with eachother and cannot act upon it, I wonder how he can blame her for her actions. I hope that their talk isn't the kind of talk that Lizzy feels the need to beg for forgiveness and Darcy ends up with the power over her. I think they should really clear the air, and have Darcy realize how hurt Lizzy is. He owes his own apology too.

Maybe the key is that Darcy is so intent on unraveling the truth in E's parentage, and she is just resigned to it. I think Darcy really wanted her to be just as passsionate as he is in discovering the truth, and accompany him on this mission. I think he sees her rejection of all his offers as proof that she doesn't want anything to do with him. The truth is the complete opposite, of course, and Darcy can't see that, since Lizzy can't just blurt out that she loves him more than ever and his mere closeness drives her wild. As brother and sister, that's just gross, so how can she accompany him on this mission? She thinks that they will just find out that old Mr.D had an affair with a 17 year old, was in love with her, and betrayed his wife. Lizzy doesn't need salt rubbed in this painful wound and has no need to witness Darcy's utter defeat, and have their fates sealed in such a way. She's so scared of this truth.

It must also just be awful to understand that Darcy must marry, and since it can't be her, he will find someone like Miss Simpson. Darcy must understand that she just doesn't want to see it. It's better to live with the thought of him always single, than to acklowledge the truth. I hope Darcy is kind to her and understands her better at some point.

Thanks again Jan. I must join the chorus of begging for 2 chapters if possible. The last 2 were just heartwrenching, and if there is some good on the horizon, I hope we can have some relief soon!!

Excellent, excellent points, jtorres!

I'm worried though that the Simpson family already have expectations because of Darcy's behavior. This is not the first ball he singled her out, right?

Should'nt he be more upset if Lizzy was happy they are brother and sister? Does he not suspect at all that E has feelings for him? And not the sisterly kind?

I have always thought that their respective insights into each other's feelings are not quite balanced. Lizzy is sure he knows how she feels, but it's clear from his conduct toward Miss Simpson and from Jan's comments that he does not. Anyway, she is more reserved than he is in expressing the warmth of her feelings, because she she has more need to protect the proprieties. And she thinks she understands him, but of course she doesn't.

Fantastic as always, Jan! Dare I allow myself to hope?

Kim

Chapter 12 of this amazing story has just been posted, my dears. Enjoy!

I could not see any sensible hope in his quest, but then, hope sometimes has a mind of its own.

SmileyCentral.com

Please Jan, do not let their hopes to be dashed.

Basia

"...hope sometimes has a mind of its own"

I love that last line too! Jan, that was beautiful and it gave me a flutter in my stomach. Now I'm so excited that Lizzy and Darcy are thrown together again, despite the presence of their families. Thank god Colonel is not with them, he will only be a nuisance .

MOVEMENT BETWEEN NEEDING MY SALTS & SITTING ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT Re: Sins of the Fathers by Jan H

HILL! HILL! Bring my salts.

I'm on the edge of my seat.

STEVIEB

Jan, you're killing me, but I feel there may be relief in sight. I hope when Darcy's uncle sees Elizabeth, he admits he is her father. I hope, I hope! Oh my gosh, pleeeease don't make us wait much longer. I thought it was so funny when Elizabeth just left the colonel standing holding his hat. I also thought it was funny when Mr. Gardiner told them to write Mrs. Bennett to inform her that their children would be with her for the duration. Oh her poor nerves. Post soon!!!!!!!! Cindy

A wonderful story, beautifully written.
I do hope they are nearing some advantagous answers.
Roll on the next chapter. Thank you for posting so regularly.

This is just pure blissfull torture, excellent chapter!

See? This is why I normally don't allow myself to read Work in Progress stories - I get so caught up that it's pure torture to sit waiting on the next chapter!

What lovely torture though - can't wait until the next post!

Peter may meet his daughter before he dies. Or he may say, "She's got Henry's eyes." At least we know she dosn't have George's.

Sighhhhhhhhhh I am sitting on the edge..but whatever it is I am glad that Lizzy is on the ship enjoying herself not being apart from Darcy and the Col and Ms Simpsons are as far away as possible...thank you Jan..though I do need the smeeling salt too...(thank you for the insights of what was goin on in Darcy's head..)

Peter may meet his daughter before he dies. Or he may say, "She's got Henry's eyes." At least we know she dosn't have George's. Exactly my thoughts. Anything that will make Elizabeth not Darcy's sister. I think D & E suffered long enough (and my poor nerves to).I like that last line.....hope sometimes has a mine of it's own, AAAAWWWWW!I'm so excited. I hope the answers will unravel in Ireland and put an end to this madness. Darcy is doing everything that will clear E. as his sister and at the same time find out the truth about his father. The two of them shared tha same deep feelings for each other but acted out differently because of the circumstances. Now Jan H can you take heart and relieve our poor nerves from suffering and even just a little give us something to rejoice?. You are an excellent writer. You have me hooked to your story.
annj

Just read the first twelve chapters, and I have to say that I simply love this story with all the angst and bent up emotions, can't wait to read more, thanks!

Goodness, I'm running behind on replying to your generous comments. Thank you, everyone!

JTorres, again, you have exceptional insight into the characters, and I appreciate it. You and Annabella must not worry about Miss Simpson. The matter will be addressed in a later chapter.

Gio, I agree with you about Col F not going to Ireland. I'm getting sick of him.

Stevie B, I think we should have cloned Hill in Chapter 1 and placed a larger order for salts.

Basia, Cindy, and Kim, I always believe in hope.

Josephine, I will only say that answers are near, maybe not as near as you wish, but on the horizon.

Karen, "blissful torture?" You and Tonya are braver than I am to even read this WIP, but I'm so glad you are. I've sworn off reading stories until they're finished.

Carol B, you are such a careful reader. I appreciate your catching details and answering for me on other sites.

Ima, don't fall off the edge - remember, we're now on a ship going to Ireland!

Annj, "The two of them shared the same deep feelings for each other but acted out differently because of the circumstances." Exactly! You said in just a few words what's taken me 12 chapters to portray.

And Annina, thank you for being a new reader! That's always a truly special treat.

-Jan

Thank Gads someone is getting sick of the Colonel other than just me! I get enough of the "wonderful" Colonel from Eli's stories!!!

I love your story Jan. I've really been enjoying it, and I can say that I can handle the angst pretty well. But I am still eager to find out what will happen on that boat to Ireland, and in Ireland. Thanks for a fantasticly written story.

Jan,

Re Chapter 13

Great story and chapter, as usual.

I'd like, however, to see Elizabeth use her vaunted and respected intelligence to jump into the fray to sort things out. I know that she has been stunned by LadyCat's assertion that she is the sister of Darcy, but now she needs to step up by acting on the clues or discerning new avenues of investigation. [Yes. As you surmised, my number one pleasure reading besides JAFF is crime fiction--modern and vintage crime. So, I see Elizabeth taking the initiative to sort things out while using her martial arts skills on LadyCat :) Uh . . . how would Elizabeth know about martial arts you ask Nevertheless, Lizzy, put on your trenchcoat, slip your "heater," "piece," "gat," "burner" in your pocket, put your hat on and tilt it slightly to the side (tipped "ace-deuce") & hit the pavement to find out what's what. *wink* And when you do sort it out, run right up to LadyCat's door and kick it in and scream into the ear of that bee-atch: "LadyCat! Heeeeerrre's Lizzy back again! HeHeHe . . .].

As always, thanks for sharing your creativity.

STEVIEB

Oops, dear Stevie is even quicker in commenting than Mrs Darcy in posting!

Chapter 13 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

Dear Jan,

Are we close to the answer? I hope so.

I won’t try to guess who Elizabeth’s biological father is, but one thing is sure – Lizzy and Darcy are not sister and brother. I have never been strong advocate of sociobiology, but I do believe that we – humans – have some level of instincts that cannot be ignored. These two are obviously very in love with each other, and the sexual tension between them is growing stronger and stronger. It is no longer a matter of what they think, but what they feel. If they were siblings they just could not feel this kind of attraction. It would be impossible not only on moral, social or legal level, but would be simply unthinkable on biological level.

Let me finish this with an anecdote I have heard once from my friend, who is a vet. An old lady asked him to visit her kitten – a woman was very worried that her favorite is sick. He examined an animal, and didn’t need much time to figure out that a cat is going to have kitten. But when he introduced an old lady with this happy news, she was more then indignant with it, and said it is simply impossible because her kitten never goes out, and doesn’t play with any “dirty cats”. My friend was kind of surprised, but told her that he is positive about cat’s condition. An old lady was becoming more and more furious and just then a big, proud cat appeared in a room. My friend just raised his brow, pointed an animal and said “Well, Ma’am and what about this one?” The answer was: “How dare you! He is her brother!”

(Im)patiently waiting for a happy-end,

Basia

They were thrown together indeed and sparks flew! We are one more step closer to the truth, yes! I only hope that they will not have any trouble in Cork and Peter Darcy is still alive. The way you gave us glimpses of Darcy's steadfast belief and feelings towards Lizzy is wonderful, Jan! Can't wait for the next update!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8