Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Author
Comment
Re: Elena's "Love Calls Twice"

Does she? I do not agree with you. Men had fallen for many stupidier women.Ask Mr Bennet, if you do not believe me. But Elizabeth has not one single hair of stupidity, my dear. She got the best of both worlds after all...did she not?

I agree with Eli...Lizzy's not stupid. She knows what she wants and in a perfect world she would have both men. I also don't agree that her passion is gone, if I am not mistaken she is learning quite rapidly how pleasant the marriage bed can be (her passion for Darcy before she was his wife was unsatiable, and since pleasure from sex for some women comes with time and practice, she's well on her way to being just as insatiable as her husband is!)

This is really a story of which came first, the chicken or the egg? If Darcy had followed through and gone after her after the Lydia affair, he wouldn't have married Anne. If Lizzy had given DArcy some encouragement he wouldn't have thought she didn't care and he wouldn't have married Anne. If Darcy hadn't married Anne, Lizzy wouldn't have lost hope, and settled for Richard. If Richard hadn't told Lizzy about Darcy's participation in the Jane/Charles separation, since she was well on her way to thinking differently about him and if he had explained about Wickham, she may have given him sufficient reason to try to woo her again. So whose fault is it ultimately? Who behaved the most "badly"? It's a mute point. All these characters are going to have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Lizzy & Darcy have already suffered five years of misery. Richard is suffering with the loss of his beloved (although he does seem to find comfort elsewhere) and all too soon there will be a price to pay for all the other mistakes that have been made. I do have to say that if examined unemotionally, Lizzy had the right to become engaged to anyone she wanted. When she told Darcy that she was engaged but would break the engagment to be with him, he told her he didn't want to know who she had been engaged to (not that Lizzy wanted to tell him). Of course the level of intimacy she had with Richard was extremely serious, it was no less than the level of intimacy that Darcy had with Jane, even tho it was unintentional.

I surmise that the most serious breach of propriety was done by Richard & Jane, and there is where the most serious consequence will occur. [Bawling

Let the slaughter begin!!

I am happy you concur with me. This is exactly what the story is telling us.
One more thing...engaged people were unchaperoned and usually left alone to do as they wished. It was understood the marriage was to take place unless sth in the engagement contract or the wedding settlement was not fullfilled(even in cases such as Miss Amelia Seddly, his fiancee decided to behave honorably with her because he loved her and married her despite her family's inability to pay the accorded dowry). The fact that Elizabeth did not surrender her cherry in this story is due to the strong censorshipSmileyCentral.com exerted over the authoress who grugindly suffered said censorship from one of her betas, namely Belen P, situation said authoress will correct as soon as the present posting of the story is over.SmileyCentral.com

Well, even tho this IS YOUR story, I have to agree with the censorship from Belen. If Lizzy had given up the cherry when she was engaged with Richard, it would have been almost impossible for her to marry Darcy, who is her one true love. She would have been honor bound to stick to her engagement even after connecting back with DArcy after Anne's death. Even tho she considered her engagement off after not hearing from him those four years, him coming back would in effect stopped whatever chance she and Darcy may have had. Of course, if Richard knew that she really loved DArcy more than she loved him, and chose Darcy over him, he may have done the honorable thing and given her up...then the story would unfold with the contnets of the letter intimating that Richard had been her first, then DArcy would have found out, and then all hell would break loose. Ah Eli, what a rebel you are!!
I'm sure when you re-write this story, it'll be hot & wretched & and leaving us panting for more!

I would have assented to that a year ago. But after reading several other books on Regency and peering into famous people's lives I am convinced these are preconceptions not even Austen stood for. SmileyCentral.comThe world has been spinning around ever since Eve declared herself free from what was stipulated as correct behaviour and she shared her views with her husband. Since then, the wicked has been ruling over the goodies as Miss Sharp's life fairly shows in Vanity Fair(Oh, how much I hated her!)

This is such a delightful discussion... Continue it at your heart's content, dear ladies, chapter 42 has just been posted!

That Wickham child... *gasp*

Richard/Jane/Darcy/Lizzie Rumble--I'm ready for it to be on life neck bone :)

Eli,

I almost missed that you posted another chapter! I saw Ellen's chapter first, read it and went back to the new postings page to double check if I missed anything. Thanks for the Mother's Day suprise.

Interesting chapter, although I will admit a "reformed" Wickam and a debauched Lydia are not as interesting to me as the Richard/Jane/Darcy/Lizzie potential rumble with knives, whips, chains, flame-throwers, surface to air missiles . . .
I'm ready for it to be on life neck bone.

STEVIEB

I understand, Stevie...but Wickham is part of the story and will have sth to do later on.
Perhaps you did not read well, or Mrs Darcy was not clear enough...Either way, the fact is that you can expect a chapter on daily basis this week. A new posting every day during the whole week. A treat for all mothers or would be mothers or potential ones.SmileyCentral.comSo do not forget to check tomorrow again.
besos
Eli

Thank you Renee and the authors, you are the best!
What a wonderful surprise!

Lorena

P.S. though hurricane Eli is spinning in the Atlantic!

Hurricane Eli is spinning in the AtlanticSmileyCentral.com So it is, dearest. Hold on to your bonnets!

I am glad you like the treat. Enjoy!!!

What a Wonderful treat!!!
This week will be a very revealing week!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Frances

Eli and Renee,
Thanks for the new chapter. I like the new Wickham, although he will take some getting used to. Lydia, YUK! She doesn't care if she causes more of a scandal or not. Back to talking about Elizabeth being dumb. She does or did seem more unsure about things than I would have expected. I would also expect her to be more open with Darcy about her feelings. She is older and she knows he was as inexperienced as she was. It doesn't matter, I just wanted to comment. Can't wait to see where in the world this story goes. Oh yes, Bingley. GOOD GRIEF! We have to remember the title, "Love Calls Twice." Cindy

Wickham was quite funny when he realized that Lydia was better at keeping her operations covert than he is. I am glad Mr. Bennet is aware of Lydia's behaviour. I am not sure he or anyone can do anything about it but he can make sure that they stop talking about it in front of Georgie. Even if Wickham is reformed, I still think he is not good enough for Georgiana. Excellent chapter, Eli. I hope Elizabeth's dream did not signify anything except as a plot device to get her husband to wake up.

That was interesting conversation betw Mr Bennet and Wickham! And that Lydia is such a wilful woman! Is she planning an elope with someone else and create more scandal for the family?

I was actually stretching my neck in this chapter for Bingley, his struggle about what to do next and if he will heed Colonel's advice eventually . Guess i'll just have to be patient

Not so patient, dearest Gio. Mr Bingley is soon to appear on stageSmileyCentral.com

So Lizzy has a foreboding feeling...but really can we expect her to sit Darcy down and tell him "BTW, I was engaged to your cousin who told me some really awful stuff about you and I let him take extreme liberties with my person because after all we were engaged and you were after all married to your cousin Anne."? Nah, its probably better to just let the storm hit and wait it out!

So who is the storm going to hit first???

I know I should keep an open mind about Wickham, but Wickham being a wickhead is just the natural order of things...could it be possible to have a "love" match between him and Georgiana? Is Georgiana just looking for love in all the wrong places? Is this the result of being spurned by Richard?

And of course we have Charles...oh my, what will become of Charles? Will he get his education going to the mattresses or will he try to make a go of it with his wife? That is, if his wife will even let him.

So much to resolve and less than ten chapters to go!!
Didn't you say this was going to be about 50 chapters?)

BRING IT ON!!

All excellent questions.This week installments will solve at least one of them.

Personally, I believe that no man wants to know who has had his woman before him, (but they love bragging about their own conquests to everybody, and if they do not have any, they make them up).This Darcy is not different, he will hit the roof if he learns.

Yes. Definitely. Around 54 chapters.

Woohooo... Chapter 43 is up. Enjoy!

The plot thickens. Even though it was sooo obvious with Jane being at the Colonel's door, I was a little surprised at Bingley being so perceptive. In all the heat I had almost forgotten about the colonel and Elizabeth and the fact that Darcy could still find out. Keep those chapters coming, Eli. We love them! Cindy

So Bingley is not so hapless or clueless after all!?! Not only does he perceive the "relationship" that Jane & Richard had, but I have a feeling that Bingley's mention of Pemberley may be an asute reference to Lizzy! I am so proud of Bingley, who didn't act rashly (I think he knows that he'd be the loser in a duel) but I sense that retaliation and not revenge will be Jane's punishment and he will indeed favor someone else's bed. Or he could just keep her pregnant!
Bravo Eli, excellently written!

You did warn us! I want to say poor Charles but i can't. He is pretty thoughtless. His awakening though is very painful. Do you think all this was going on in Regency times? I think you mentioned somewhere that it was. All this scandal! and here i thought immorality was uncommon then.

Lorena

I had to read the chapter again and just say that I feel maybe a shread of sympathy (but not much) for Jane now that she recognizes some of the consequences her little dalliance has opened her children and herself to. Charles is not just going to dismiss this error in her judgement...she's gonna pay!

Dearest, naive Lorenita...Just have a look at any dandy's life...watch Valmont or Dangerous Liasons, read Vanity Fair or better still just read the life and work of a wellknown writer: Lord Byron or FAMOUS dandy: Beau Brummel... Sex and the city is child's game.

I believe you. I told a friend of mine the other day that through the authors of P&P fanfiction, and due to their research etc. i had learned of quite a different world from the one Jane Austen portrayed. I can be idealistic at times i admit, and you must admit that P&P is quite an idealistic work. Every character is one dimensional. For example, i hated Mrs. Bennet, who doesn't, right? not anymore. Now i am aware of how difficult things were for women then and so Mrs. Bennet has now been elevated a peg or two no matter how much i cringe at her ridiculousness while Mr. Bennet has been brought down as much. This is due to the explorations of the fan fiction writers. Regards,

Lorena

P.S. i must say you have destroyed poor Charles in my mind. You actually hate the man. And now i see him as spineless. This is terrible it is like being upside down (but loving it).

Wow Eli! You totally tricked us. Maybe your Bingley isn't so stupid after all. Can't wait to see how he learned about Richard and Lizzy. As you have said before, never put anything into your story that won't be revealed later on! Also, can't wait to see how he gets his "revenge." i am just so nervous about these next upcoming chapters...

I feel bad for the Colonel. I know, he thwarted Darcy and Elizabeth back in the day, and then the dalliance with Jane is quite wrong, but I like him nonetheless. Banished to Matlock, eh? Somehow I don't think we've heard the last of him. Maybe a duel between Darcy and his much-defeated cousin ends when Elizabeth begs, tells all and admits to always pining for Darcy, plus that's she's pregnant (that would be the clincher).

The story is feeling very soap opera-y, which keeps me entertained and guessing. Who will hook up with whom next? Is Wickham reformed after all? Will one of the gentlemen save Lydia to spare the Bennets once again? Will Elizabeth find out about Darcy's mistaken attentions to Jane? And will Jane ever find satisfaction with her own husband? So many questions!

Thanks Eli for the fun, dramatic story. I look forward to the final chapters, and hopefully some answers.

Lorena,
I must say I once had your views. It was partly my own instincs, some wisdom acquired from reading and finally the research which rendered the Regency in such a different light. I must confess I am enthralled with Lord Byon's life, recently saw the BBC two-chapter-serie on TV and just loved it. Recently, looking for James Purefoy's pictures I discovered Brummel's biography. I came into Mr Thackery's masterpiece: Vanity Fair, and found the Regency seen under the hypocritical eye of a man, full of sarcasm and glorious wickness.He bluntly recognises how these love affairs took place everywhere. My suspicions turned into facts over the night.

Michele.
Thank you soo much. It is always good to know that you are there and that you have such positive views of my writing. A soap opera , indeed. That was my intention. I am satisfied.

Wow
Ive not commented in a very long time but ive not really had the time but wow this story is just getting better and better.I really want everyone to find out oh i hope Charles does when hes drunk to Darcy i think that would be good.I really liked Charles angery no idea why.As always i can't wait for the next chapter and i hope i have time to comment and tell you what a fanstic job you have done with this story
Niketa

Most obliged Niketa...Thank you. I too hope you have time to tell me your thoughts.

Oh I am so afraid for the next chapter. Please post soon. I am all afluttered, O my nerves my nerves and where do I buy smelling salts?

Eli, Eli, Eli,

You rock! Yesterday morning I read Chapter 43 while drinking my coffee and I laughed and laughed. I now proclaim that, along with being a wonderful inventive writer, you are also the most humorous writer. I read the Colonel/Jane/Bingley encounter at least 4 times laughing at the same parts over and over again.

"Colonel opening the door so naturally to speak to her [he was merely wearing his shirt, his chest open for the lady to see]." Hilarious. The Colonel caught working his Sauvé Colonel thing and MERELY wearing his shirt. MERELY! What!

"Charles I . . . was looking for you."
"In the Colonel's chamber?"
"Colonel Fitzwilliam rolled his eyes."
Oh Eli I am laughing as I type.

Now questions--
1) Was Charles dressed and lurking in the hallway trying to catch them,

2)Why did Charles mention Pemberley (i.e., did he suspect something was going on between the Colonel and Lizzie or does he simply view the Colonel AS A "GUN" FOR HIRE that would first ensnare any female with his handsomeness, charm, worldliness, intelligence + that macho soldier thing and then contract to provide "comfort" to any willing attractive female, and

3) When did he start to suspect them and why did he not confront them sooner such as when the Colonel and Jane were in the "saddle?" [Sorry. I started the cowboy/western metaphors and I can't seem to stop myself].

Finally, concerning Bingley's discussion with the Colonel in the previous chapter regarding learning to please his wife, looking back at that within the context of Chapter 43, what was that discussion about? Bizarre. Are we to assume that his revelation occurred after that discussion? If Bingley were aware of the tryst at the time of the discussion, then he should have sucker punched the Colonel. Yet, he carried on that conversation in a cordial manner as if he were really asking for insight and assistance. Most interestingly, the Colonel did not provide Bingley explicit guidance during that discussion. He could have easily given him a road map--first you do this, women like that, on and on.

I am awaiting the mix of Darcy/Lizzie/Colonel add a dash of Jane & Bingley set it on simmer and then kick up the fire to an inferno. BAM!

STEVIEB

"Whoever is good these days?"

Eli,

I forgot to mention your especially fine lines:

Jane: "But it is true! Oh. We are disgraced for ever! No one who is good will want to have nothing to do with us."

"Good?" Charles asked looking at Jane "Whoever is good these days?"

"Whoever is good these days?" WOW!

Well written Eli.

STEVIEB

Now questions--
1) Was Charles dressed and lurking in the hallway trying to catch them,

Yes he was dressed.No, he was not trying to catch them. He was going back to his chamber.

2)Why did Charles mention Pemberley (i.e., did he suspect something was going on between the Colonel and Lizzie or does he simply view the Colonel AS A "GUN" FOR HIRE that would first ensnare any female with his handsomeness, charm, worldliness, intelligence + that macho soldier thing and then contract to provide "comfort" to any willing attractive female, and
Charles is aware of the Colonel's sex appeal but he is clueless as regards Jane being capable of adultery. He has watched her flirt with him but then again all women flirt with the colonel.Remember there was no internet or tv so flirting was a well known source of entertainment in those days, as it still is these days despite technology.

3) When did he start to suspect them and why did he not confront them sooner such as when the Colonel and Jane were in the "saddle?" [Sorry. I started the cowboy/western metaphors and I can't seem to stop myself].
When he saw them together almost disrobed, of course. What else could he have thought? But he cannot punch the colonel for two reasons:Firstly, Charles did not catch them in flagranto delicto, and secondly , the colonel could kill him, and Charles is not that stupid.

Finally, concerning Bingley's discussion with the Colonel in the previous chapter regarding learning to please his wife, looking back at that within the context of Chapter 43, what was that discussion about? Bizarre. Are we to assume that his revelation occurred after that discussion? If Bingley were aware of the tryst at the time of the discussion, then he should have sucker punched the Colonel. Yet, he carried on that conversation in a cordial manner as if he were really asking for insight and assistance. Most interestingly, the Colonel did not provide Bingley explicit guidance during that discussion. He could have easily given him a road map--first you do this, women like that, on and on.
Charles is thoroughly disappointent and hurt. But he did not extract a confession from any of them. He is terrible jealous. Just wait a bit and you will see his reaction soon.

Thank you for extracting your favourite quotes. I too laugh a lot when I read them even though I wrote them and of course I picture James Purefoy rolling his eyes and ...MmmmSmileyCentral.com

Just a comment on what StevieB wrote. I got the impression that Charles put two & two together when he went to the Colonel to ask his advice. Remember Eli you said you never put anything in the story unless you use it later. What about Jane's nightgown? Did Charles see it and not comment? did he know it was Jane's or did he suspect it was someone else's? Charles blindly loves his wife and trusted her. I can imagine the hurt and betrayal he must feel. How will he get even?

Eli,

I came back again and read that chapter and it still cracks me up. I laughed again at the same words and then picked out some more hilarity:

"Sir. Will you not wear something in front of my wife?"

Fitzwilliam readily obeyed and search for his robe. He would have much liked Bingley to have dismissed him.

Since Fitzwilliam is a military man, I laughed at your use of the words "obeyed" and "dismissed." Also, what makes it all so funny is the visual of this conversation taking place while Fitzwilliam is only [really only?! ] wearing his shirt, of course open so Jane can see his chest.

Just wonderful.

STEVIEB

Stevie,
You must be my kindred soul, cuz that is exactly what I do with my favourite stories. First reading is a greedy one, an urgent necessity to know what is going to happen, and then second and third just to get those details that make of a piece a special one.If I like it a lot I even print the chapter and re read it on the bus or at breaktime.
Indeed, this is both a revealing and funny chapter.The colonel's I-know-it-all-macho demeanour falls completely down. Charles comes up as not so dumb after all.It only rests us to see if this new character of his is strong enough to endure until his wife learns a lesson.

My dears, I've got a surprise for you: chapters 44 and 45 have just been posted. Enjoy!

LOTS OF SECRETS IN THIS STORYRe: Elena's "Love Calls Twice"

Eli,

Thanks for 2 chapters!

I like the premise that the Colonel is now his "own man" in that he is now wealthy. How will his life change? Will women throw themselves at him like they did to Darcy because he is wealthy?

I noticed that when Darcy advised him of the possibility that he had inhereted Rosings, it seems that he lamented the fact that he did not have that opportunity in time to marry Lizzy. With his wealth will he rescue Jane?

Bingley and Wickham together! Not good.

I am still anticipating the Colonel and Lizzy having some one on one intimate time together? What if Darcy caught them kissing or hugging? How would she react if he told her he still loved her? I noticed that the Colonel obliquely discussed with Darcy that he was in love with a married woman. Of course, Darcy did not know he was discussing Lizzy.

Well, as always know that questions will be answered as the story progresses. I can't wait for the big reveal. Bingley packed his things and left his wife but how would Darcy react to the knowledge that the Colonel was Lizzy's fiancé and that, in an intimate sense, the Colonel was there first, only stopping short of "crossing the Rubicon."

STEVIEB

Ow the plot thickens. Where will you take us next.

Eli;

What a feast! Two chapters!

I think Richard was speaking more about Jane than Lizzy. Because he sees that both Lizzy and Darcy are blissfully happy, he now realizes that his chance with Lizzy is over. I don't think Lizzy would be stupid enough to allow any intimacy with Richard beyond what is proper.

Now that Richard is wealthy, does he care enough for Jane to help her divorce Charles? Would he, could he seriously be faithful to her? I can see the chaos just over the horizon....Lizzy hasn't heard from Jane, so she doesn't know why Charles left. I see Darcy talking to Charles and finding out what his dear cousin has been up to and I see Charles telling Darcy more than he wants to hear...perhaps letting it slip that Lizzy also fell under the spell of his dear cousin???

I feel sorry for Charles...being a good and faithful husband wasn't enough. So now he's suffering thinking that he's making his wife suffer, only I think the only suffering selfish Jane is doing is pining for her lover. Will Lizzy want to get back to Netherfield to comfort Jane, and then find out that Jane knows her secrets?!? Jane may also tell Lizzy a thing or two about her former fiance and her husband!

This story is better than chocolate!

wow two chapter.
Its getting better and better.So Fitz still loves Lizzy does he not think about Jane a bit.
I kind of say thats good for Bingly to divorce Jane im on his side!.I think this will happen:
Darcy will see Bingly after what Lizzy told him and Bingly will relveal all even about Fitz likeling Lizzy beacuse he supects something.Darcy comes home and see Fitz saying that he loves Lizzy and then its pistols at dawn,Ive got a feeling that Lizzy leaves Darcy.These are just my crazy ideas
Niketa

Frances.
Fitzwilliam knows his chances with Lizzy are over.He knew it the moment she said Darcy's name when she was making love with him.He gave her up but still loves her. Much as one loves everything that one cannot have. It is just like in Machado's poem...Those Little Things.
Uno se cree, One might think
que los mato el tiempo that time and absence have y la ausencia, killed them
pero su tren but their train
vendio boleto issued return ticket
de ida y vuelta

No hay nada mas bello There is nothing
que lo que nunca he tenido more beautiful than
nada mas amado what I have never had.
que lo que perdi Nothing yet more
cherished
Than what I have lost

So Fitzwilliam chooses to suffer in silence. As I have said, he does not love Jane.That must be plain by now. He has had a great time with her. When talking to Darcy Fitzwilliam was talking about Lizzy and Darcy about Jane.

You sure know how to keep me reading and guessing.

From the story:
> "Why not kill her husband?" Darcy joked.

Eli said:
> When talking to Darcy Fitzwilliam was talking about Lizzy and Darcy about Jane.

I read it as Darcy talking about the unknown married woman they had previously discussed, but not specifically with Jane in mind. I can't imagine that Darcy would even tease about Fitzwilliam challenging--and killing--Bingley. Are you saying Eli that Darcy believes it's Jane that Fitzwilliam loves?

Wickham as Bingley's guide to sin. You really have it in for poor Charles!

I do still feel for the Colonel. And now to have inherited the fortune which renders him independent, capable of quitting the military and settling down right away, what a blow. I'm hoping there is someone out there for him beyond the former Bennet sisters.

I agree with Michelle. Darcy would never tease or make light of an affair between Richard and Jane, as close a relation as she is and being his best friend's wife. I have a little compassion for Richard, as he did lose his love. But she wasn't his at first, she was settling for him since she couldn't have Darcy and she had resigned herself to that, knowing that she could love Richard just not like she loved Darcy. I think Lizzy's biggest sin was not telling Darcy right off about her engagement to Richard; he will feel like a fool. I think Charles is going to enlighten his friend in more ways than one...but how will the letter be found? I went back to read the chapter where the letter appeared and it's pretty obvious when she speaks of "allowing him liberties with her person" that there is a fair amount of intimacy involved. The pressure keeps building and our happy couple is blissfully unaware that a massive eruption is due any moment now...

Indeed Darcy was not sending Fitzwilliam to kill his friend. He was thinking of the unknown woman Richard had told him about while in London before Darcy got married. It was jane, but Darcy does not know.
But the only woman Fitzwilliam wished he could have wedded was Lizzy.

Poor Charles. Poor Richard. Poor Wickham? Poor Darcy when he finds out about Lizzy and Richard... The Bennett girls in this story are NOT particularly well-behaved are they? And yet, they are a fun and lusty bunch! Enjoying this story so much. Even if it does make my heart race in a rather un-healthy feeling sort of way.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here. We are definitely reaching some sort of convergence of angst. Oh, that's right, it's called honesty -- everything out in the open. That'll be something new for this crew.

Bring it on, Eli! Wooo Hooo.

THE COLONEL'S LAMENT--"Tonight I can write the saddest lines"

Eli,

Thanks for the poem you shared. I am a poetry lover and I own many books of poetry. Upon reading Machado's poem, almost immediately I was remined of the fact that when I have thought of the Darcy/Lizzy relationship, in points in time of their experience with each other, I have thought of one of my top five poems. These particular lines of one of my favorite poems seem to be on point:

"My sight searches for her as though to go to her.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.
My voice tried to find the wind to touch her hearing."

At this point in your story, much of the pain and lament is with the Colonel. [Although it seems there is varying degrees of pain and lament experienced by many, but during different time periods among the characters]. The poem I love fits the Colonel if we see him trying to persuade himself he no longer loves Elizabeth. So, see below one of my favorite poems by the great Pable Neurda**:

Tonight I Can Write the Saddest Lines by Pablo Neruda

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.

Write, for example, 'The night is shattered
and the blue stars shiver in the distance.'

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.

Through nights like this one I held her in my arms
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.

She loved me sometimes, and I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes.

To think that I do not have her. To feel that I have lost her.

To hear the immense night, still more immense without her. And the verse falls to the soul like dew to the pasture.

What does it matter that my love could not keep her.
The night is shattered and she is not with me.

This is all. In the distance someone is singing. In the distance. My soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

My sight searches for her as though to go to her.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.

The same night whitening the same trees.
We, of that time, are no longer the same.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but how I loved her. My voice tried to find the wind to touch her hearing. [***My favorite 2 lines in the poem].

Another's. She will be another's. Like my kisses before. Her voice. Her bright body. Her infinite eyes.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but maybe I love her. Love is so short, forgetting is so long.

Because through nights like this one I held her in my arms my soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

Though this be the last pain that she makes me suffer
and these the last verses that I write for her.

ORIGINAL SPANISH
PUEDO escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.

Escribir, por ejemplo: "La noche está estrellada,

y tiritan, azules, los astros, a lo lejos".

El viento de la noche gira en el cielo y canta.

Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.
Yo la quise, y a veces ella también me quiso.

En las noches como ésta la tuve entre mis brazos.
La besé tantas veces bajo el cielo infinito.

Ella me quiso, a veces yo también la quería.
Cómo no haber amado sus grandes ojos fijos.

Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.
Pensar que no la tengo. Sentir que la he perdido.

Oir la noche inmensa, más inmensa sin ella.
Y el verso cae al alma como al pasto el rocío.

Qué importa que mi amor no pudiera guardarla.
La noche está estrellada y ella no está conmigo.

Eso es todo. A lo lejos alguien canta. A lo lejos.
Mi alma no se contenta con haberla perdido.

Como para acercarla mi mirada la busca.
Mi corazón la busca, y ella no está conmigo.

La misma noche que hace blanquear los mismos árboles.
Nosotros, los de entonces, ya no somos los mismos.

Ya no la quiero, es cierto, pero cuánto la quise.
Mi voz buscaba el viento para tocar su oído.

De otro. Será de otro. Como antes de mis besos.
Su voz, su cuerpo claro. Sus ojos infinitos.

Ya no la quiero, es cierto, pero tal vez la quiero.
Es tan corto el amor, y es tan largo el olvido.

Porque en noches como ésta la tuve entre mis brazos,

mi alma no se contenta con haberla perdido.

Aunque éste sea el último dolor que ella me causa,

y éstos sean los últimos versos que yo le escribo.
*****Pablo Neruda (1904-1973), Chilean poet, diplomat, politician, and 1971 Nobel Laureate in Literature. I have seveal books of his poetry but one of my favorites is "Twenty Poems of Love and a Song of Despair."

STEVIEB

Thank you StevieB and Eli for sharing those wonderful poems. How appropriate to this story...actually to many stories at some point or another.

It is sad that love can pain us...agony & ecstacy...
But that is real life...you can't have one without the other. I think everyone has a someone that they loved and lost, or never had them to begin with, and I think that's why; no matter how often a ff ends with Lizzy & Darcy living happily ever after; we fans never get tired of it. It is the proof we seek that love can endure, love can change a person, love can humble, love is closer to hate than we care to admit, love is hopeful not hopeless and love is stronger than pride or prejudice.

*sigh*
Frances

Yes Francis! Well said.

And also, love is so powerful that the expression of that comes through every art form poetry, literature, paintings . . . How would poetry exist without love of someone or something like nature.

I smiled when I read your comment regarding the close connection, at times, between love and hate. Comedian/Actor Chris Rock said about love and marriage during one of his stand-up comedy specials on HBO, that if you haven't wanted to kill a m_____ f___ you ain't been in love.

STEVIEB

This just keeps getter better and better. Charles getting drunk and losing money is not going to solve any of his problems but he's not thinking of that now. He can avoid Jane as long as possible but he really will need to speak to her some day. Now the colonel has Rosings. Will he ask Jane to divorce her husband? He might like the drinking to excess and keeping a mistress route. Can't wait to find out!

23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32