Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author
Comment
When duty Calls by Belén

My dears, Mrs Darcy has got wonderful news for you. The lovely Belén decided to post her Regency classic "When Duty Calls" again... I'm totally thrilled, and I'm sure so will you. Enjoy!

Below a message from our wonderful authoress:

Hi everyone!

I know it's been quite some time since I've been around the P&P forums (nearly two years, I think) but I'm back to my first love, and that is P&P fanfic writing. I'm not planning to write any new stories (for now) but I'll be reposting the old ones in completely revised versions. I'm starting with an oldie, my first story 'When Duty Calls'.

Rewriting this story had been a very pleasant and mind challenging process. For that I have to give my dear friend Elena all the credit. If this version of WDC is coming out as good as I think it is (I know, I should be more modest), it's because of her encouragement, great advice and input. Gracias Ele!

I would also like to thank all the readers that have been following my writing all these years and the many e-mails I have received encouraging me to continue to write and post my stories. Thank you all for your patience and your loyalty. I sincerely hope this version doesn't disappoint.

Enjoy!!!

Belén

Re: When duty Calls by Belén

I love this beginning! How often will you be posting? Hopefully again very soon!

Lovely writing!

Belen, This story is new to me. Thank you for posting it here.Nosy neighbors always cause trouble. How often do you plan to post?

Gracias Belén for this new version. I love the previous one and I know that I will love this one as well.
Gracias, gracias, gracias. I was really missing this story.

Belen! One of my favorites and you've made it even better, altho I must admit the original was wonderful to read. Can't wait to read the new updates and tell Ele we miss her too!!

I loved your first WDC and I can already say I will love the revised version as much if not more

Great beginning Thank you

Wonderful chapter! I love this story! Thank you.

When duty Calls by Belén

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I'm quite ahead in my revision, so I'll try to keep a weekly posting schedule. The story will remain true to the original, with a few changes and perhaps some new scenes.

Hugs
Be

Great opening...I love nosy neighbours...is it to be a forced marriage?

Sandra Leonie
Great opening...I love nosy neighbours...is it to be a forced marriage?

I can't answer that, it will spoil the storyline!

Belén, welcome!! I am thrilled to see you re-posting revisions of your old stories especially this one that is a particular favorite of mine. That is very exciting news!

I've missed this story! It's one of my all-time favorites. In this new version, I like how you've shown Darcy's confusion and how it led to behavior that was uncharacteristic for him. It flows very well.

I'm anxouis to read this I love the twist.

Rush over to Belén's pages, my dears. The turn of events in chapter 2 will keep you on the edge of your seat!

As with the original, this P&P twist keeps you in suspense every time you read it...

At least Darcy's not a reluctant bridegroom but Lizzy will be the sorrowful bride. More please.

Thank you

I like this story--had read it in its earlier version but that's fuzzy to me now. No pressure, but I sincerely wish you could and would post faster--but no pressure.

sadieo
I LOVED this post and think that maybe Darcy is a little too smug for his own good, but I cannot ait to read what will unfold here next. I anxiously await your next post!

Sara

I look forward to seeing how Lizzy treats her new bride-groom to be. Shall I expect some fireworks?

Well he thought he was there to be bought off. Darcy ended giving more than any amount of money he has give his very life. Just as we like it. :)

Thank you all for your comments!

Irene: Darcy will not be a reluctant groom, but I grant you, Elizabeth will not be exactly sorrowful on her wedding day.

Colinette. You are welcome! I’m happy you are enjoying WDC.

Maria Hope: I’m trying to keep a weekly schedule, but I’m in Mrs. Darcy’s hands when it comes to posting. She’s back from her vacation so I think next chapter will be up soon (just polishing it a bit)

Sara: Darcy is just being Darcy. Too proud and too smug for his own good. But we love him nonetheless, don’t we?

Geri: Fireworks? Not yet. But that doesn’t mean things are OK between our beloved couple.

Send it on, dear B, I'm back!

I love having Darcy tell Mr. Bennet that he will good to Elizabeth. Her father needs that bit of comfort.

Chapter 3 is up. Enjoy!

At least Jane is trying to help Lizzy find Darcy's good qualities but wait till he broaches the subject of distancing herself from her family. More please, Irene

It's a long time since I read this... but I loved it then and I love it now! Thanks for reposting the new improved version

These reflections convinced him of the importance of persuading Elizabeth of the necessity to quit all appearance of connection and avoid unnecessary communication with her family once they married.

Ooh, this is going to be so bad--train wreck (that's an anachronism I know but carriage wreck does not convey the destruction on the way) eminent!

Will Elizabeth just defy her family and eventually refuse to have Darcy--for all that he is tall and rich and no Collins? Will Darcy decide that Elizabeth is too much trouble, even if he can get his family to accept her? All I see that's almost certain is that they are both going to be miserable in the short run.

Bring on more -- and I know you must post at the pace that suits you best, but I'm burning for more even as I read the last word of the current post.

I would much rather marry a tall handsome Darcy than an annoying Collins any day! You are doing a good job of capturing Elizabeth's feelings, Belen!

sadieo
do hope that Elizazbeth does not 'go for the jugular' when she meets up with Darcy again. I am enjoying this emensley, nd cannot wait to read more. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Sara

Thank goodness he isn't a Mr Collins. Poor Lizzy forced to marry Mr Darcy.
Geri

Chapter 4 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

Not quite as bad as I expected, but this is not looking like a match made in heaven either. They both seem ready to do their duty but especially for Elizabeth, there is no joy in it. Darcy, you will have push yourself to talk more in order to try to engage the lady--but keep up those hot kisses to her bare hand, too.

First Lizzy is thinking..."Wickham was equally tall, and handsome -in the traditional way-- and ever more charming and agreeable. Wickham did not take advantage of defenceless maidens. Mr. Wickham was ten times more of a gentleman than Mr. Darcy."...Oh Lizzy! This shows just how much she will be hurt and humiliated later when she learns the truth!

I love this story. It has long been on my favorites list and I am so much enjoying the rewrite.

Still worried for Lizzy and for Darcy, too! Each of them is thinking the wrong way about everything.

Can't wait till the next post!
Sandy

I have to laugh at Darcy's clueless statement here:

"Miss Bennet." he smiled. "I know that you are not entirely happy with this engagement, but under the circumstances, I think that it would be best if we become better acquainted with each other."

Oh really? Then why didn't he bother to open up the discussion in the library? That was a good opportunity seriously wasted.

This is a great story & I'm enjoying the re-run.

Margaret

Lizzy's belief in Wickham's goodness is too bad. I love Darcy's error in thinking she was starting to like him. Good chapter!

How can she not fall madly in love with our Darcy?

Enjoyed the chapter
Geri

I loved it then, I love it now

Chapter 5 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

Belen I'm soooo glad you're back!
I am caught up, just finished Chapter 5....Love it just as much as the first time. Poor Darcy, he's so mistaken!
Eagerly awaiting the next chapter, Theresa

Really enjoying this story. I missed it the first time around. Thanks for posting. Please keep it coming!

Another kiss and she so didn't participate. He is really clueless when it comes to wooing.

I look forward to more
Geri

Loved this chapter :D
As Geri said the man is clueless LOL
Thank you . looking forward to the next chapter :D

Although I had advised him earlier to keep up those hot kisses to her bare hand, I have to agree with other comments: Physically overwhelming her with his sex appeal will not be enough. Eventually, she may respond on a physical level only, but Darcy, you must understand and engage her heart and mind.

And for Lizzy, especially the mind, first, because she is a clever girl. And treating her family badly, trying to ignore them and take her away from them? Although she is probably the first to recognize how idiotic they can be, she loves them, and being mean and snobby won't win your way into her heart.

Chapter 6 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

Thanks Belen for another post!

I see that Lizzy is being her usual stubborn self. Even her aunt Gardiner and Charlotte are having a hard time trying to get her to see reason. Now, faced with this new suggestion from Wickham, clearly showing the type of man he is, how will she react?

As for Darcy, it always amazes me that Darcy can't see the faults of his own family. Why would he even want Lizzy to "fit in" with Lady Catherine? Lizzy has more grace and poise that Lady Catherine could ever think of. He truly sees the faults of Lizzy and her family, and doesn't see the faults of his own family, or the Bingleys, simply based on money and nothing else.

Oh, Darcy! and Lizzy!....you have a lot of growing up to do, I'm afraid! I pray you both wake up before it's too late!

I love this story Belen and can't wait for more!

Sandy

The angst thickens as both Darcy and Elizabeth confer with their respective aunts.

"Lizzy, my dear," Mrs. Gardener stated sweetly yet firmly. "Mr. Darcy will soon be your husband and your loyalty belongs to him. Do not enter the married state while doubting his honour. This is a matter you'll have to clarify sooner rather than later."

I am most certain, Aunt. I see no reason why Mr. Wickham would lie to me. His explanation was so detailed and precise that I cannot doubt the veracity of his tale."

This extraordinary visit had left Darcy in such discomposure of spirits that he could hardly think of anything else. Lady Catherine had just enumerated each one of Darcy's fears that he had not dared, until now, to admit to himself.

Collision ahead--will Lady Catherine indeed carry her point, at least for awhile?

I agree with Sandy, you cannot post fact enough for me. More, please!!

The aunts were both amusing in their own ways. I loved the chaste bit of kissing and hope there will be more.

Chapter 7 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

This story has a rising cloud of angst that seems to get thicker with each chapter. I keep expecting a collision, an explosion--and the waiting for it to happen is probably as bad as the event itself.

Yours is a well-written story and the angst certainly keeps me coming back, hoping for relief. Although I am not a big lover of angst, you keep me holding on, as the song says.

Will Darcy and Elizabeth hold on? Or, will they be blown apart by her foolish but admirable concern for his treatment of another human being and his arrogant but foolish presumption that she will accept anything as long as he treats her well? Hot kisses and expensive trinkets and loving sentiments--but does he realize he has not taken time to get to know her? He just assumes she will automatically respond as he wants. She discounts his caring behavior toward her too much and refuses to recognize the clear evidence of his pssion.

They are heading toward a trap of their own making and it is too late to back out. This looks and feels so -- angsty.

Relief, I beg you!

Maria Hope
This story has a rising cloud of angst that seems to get thicker with each chapter. I keep expecting a collision, an explosion--and the waiting for it to happen is probably as bad as the event itself.

Yours is a well-written story and the angst certainly keeps me coming back, hoping for relief. Although I am not a big lover of angst, you keep me holding on, as the song says.

Will Darcy and Elizabeth hold on? Or, will they be blown apart by her foolish but admirable concern for his treatment of another human being and his arrogant but foolish presumption that she will accept anything as long as he treats her well? Hot kisses and expensive trinkets and loving sentiments--but does he realize he has not taken time to get to know her? He just assumes she will automatically respond as he wants. She discounts his caring behavior toward her too much and refuses to recognize the clear evidence of his pssion.

They are heading toward a trap of their own making and it is too late to back out. This looks and feels so -- angsty.

Relief, I beg you!

DITTO! DITTO! and DITTO!

I love this story and for an angst weenie like me...that is saying a lot about how great it is. I keep coming back for more every time!!!

Thanks Belen!

Thank you girls!

The angst is certainly building up and it will reach its peak soon. And from then on ... more angst!

Just kidding. Anyway, you are right, this is a recipe for disaster. All the ingredients are there. But this is P&P, isn't it? This couple never had it easy.

Maria Hope, you are one of those readers who didn't read the story before and must go through the agony of finding out what happens in every chapter. What can I say? I cant spoil it for you!

Sandy, Thank you for being such a faithful reader!

Im working on ch 8. Hopefully I ll post before the end of the week.

Hugs
Be

That was ominous

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tweet